Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel like the price of milk is going out of control? For us it's shifting from necessity to luxury we can't afford.

We go through a bag of milk every 2 days, and a 4L bag costs $5.36 right now. Thats $80.00 a month just on milk.

Cheese and yogurt aren't much better, cheese is almost 8.00 a brick and yogurt is 6.99 for a 16 pack. I just don't understand how the powers that be can expect you to get enough calcium in a day at these prices :(

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Milk has been skyrocketing here as well. I use to be able to get two gallons for $5. Now it is two gallons for $7.50

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Geez! That is outrageous.

Currently our prices are:
*Milk: $2.15/gallon @ Costco
*Cheese: $2.00/8 oz block, shredded or 16 oz singles
*Yogurt: $0.25/4 individual cups w/sale and coupon

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Nope, a 4L of milk is down to $5.33 now, I'm thrilled. That's more than a $2 drop, although I'm sure we're paying for it somewhere else since the stores pay a set price and they must be eating the cost. Whatever they're doing it beats paying the nearly $8 per gallon that the price is fixed at.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I rarely pay more then 2.49 a gallon and can get it as low as 1.79 on sale sometimes. I hope the prices come down soon for you. We only go through a gallon a week at the most. Although when my girls were little we went through a gallon every every day and half or so.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Milk is $3.99 a gallon regular, or $8 for raw

Single slices like kraft-$5, an 8oz brick of cheese $4-$6 for regular Joe stuff. The real good stuff can run as much as $20+ for 8oz.

yogurt is $1 to $1.29 a container, or if you get Greek yogurt $2 to $2.50 a container.

I'm in a high $$$ area. Every thing's high- food, housing, clothing, entertainment like movies, bowling, theater. Even our thrift stores are crazy high in pricing.

Almond milk is $3.50 a half gallon. My youngest drinks two gallons a week, my DH drinks a gallon of it. So $84 just for them. DS2 drinks a gallon of regular milk a week, so $15.96 for him. I rarely drink either. So I spend $99.96 every month in milk.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yes , the price of milk is getting higher or well..... the dollar is falling in value :(.
Mine is pretty high as I buy organic, but then make my own cheese and yogurt so that does help save quite a bit. At least with the savings in yogurt alone. I also make a lot of my own butter with the cream I buy.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm thinking about making my own butter. It's $4-$5 a pound here. I can get an entire gallon of cream for $7.50 from our local dairy. I'm thinking it would be better to make my own. I've always, or since I read about how much Debbie & FF love it on the homesteading thread, wanted to try it.

And

I have a yogurt maker. Homemade yogurt is better and far less expensive.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I'm thinking about making my own butter. It's $4-$5 a pound here. I can get an entire gallon of cream for $7.50 from our local dairy. I'm thinking it would be better to make my own. I've always, or since I read about how much Debbie & FF love it on the homesteading thread, wanted to try it.

And

I have a yogurt maker. Homemade yogurt is better and far less expensive.
Wow Polly that is an awesome price for cream! The rule of thumb is 1 pint of cream equals 1 cup of butter :) I use my kitchen aid, and food processor but the family favorite is a mason jar treatment:)

I make a half gallon of yogurt in the crock pot , and make regular as well as Greek. I never got around to getting a yogurt maker but they seem cool.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've noticed a gallon went from a regular price of $3.09 @ Publix to $3.33, in the span of a year or so. Save A Lot just opened down the street, though, and their price is $2.67 still, so I'm buying my milk there now unless Publix runs a sale where I can make money (that's right, actually MAKE money) on Smart Balance Milk. My freezer is just too small to hold more than a few cartons of it, though... :(

8 oz. shredded cheese 2/$4 on sale
16 oz. sour cream $1 normal price for off brand, sale price for Breakstones/Daisy
12?oz. sliced cheese 2/$4 on sale

Once in awhile there's good Kraft or Sargento Coupons to be used, and that'll bring the price down a bit...but I have to say, I do miss prices a couple years ago at Kroger back home

Milk half gallon 4/$5 (I think my dad said they still are doing this sometimes)
8 oz. shredded cheese 3/$5 sale price...which was pretty much a weekly thing (sometimes 4/$5!)
16 oz. sour cream/dip 10/$10 ALWAYS

I also wish we got a price break for buying block cheese, vs. shredded. I'm happy to use my shredder on it if it'll save me money....but they're always the same price down here :(

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Does anyone else feel like the price of milk is going out of control? For us it's shifting from necessity to luxury we can't afford.

We go through a bag of milk every 2 days, and a 4L bag costs $5.36 right now. Thats $80.00 a month just on milk.

Cheese and yogurt aren't much better, cheese is almost 8.00 a brick and yogurt is 6.99 for a 16 pack. I just don't understand how the powers that be can expect you to get enough calcium in a day at these prices :(
I know this thread is about prices but milk is actually not a very good source of usable calcium because the phosphorus content of the milk negates much of the calcium. Leafy greens and broccoli are much better sources.

·
2,688 Posts
I get our milk and cheese at Aldi's.
Gallon of skim is around $ 2.19.
8 oz chedder cheese is $ 1.79

We used to get whole milk. Now if I do, he says it too creamy.
He uses somewhere between 1- 2 gallons a week.
I don't drink it anymore. I use powdered to cook with.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I get our milk and cheese at Aldi's.
Gallon of skim is around $ 2.19.:thud:
Holy Smokes!!! Our local Aldi is the cheapest in town for a gallon of milk...runs $2.99 per gallon.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Aldis milk in my area is $1.79 gallon
Kroger just had a 3 day sale and blocks and shredded cheese for $1 for 8 oz.
I usually get my milk for less than $1 gallon I buy it in the reduced bin at Krogers. I paid .25 for some 1/2 gallons the other day. I usually buy yogurt from there also plus I use coupons so it is cheap or free for me.

·
2,688 Posts
I guess I shouldn't tell you it was also 2.09 recently......

Butter at Aldi's is 1.99 a pound, salted or unsalted.
I just bought a pound at Walmart for 2.38 :(
I only buy it rarely so was not up to speed on it's price.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Milk hasn't changed in price here for quite a while...regular is $3.49/gallon, but it's on sale so regularly I rarely buy it at that price. "Normal" sale price is $2.99/gal. Costco has it slightly cheaper.

I *am* noticing prices go up on other staples, though...specifically white & brown sugar and flour, along with other basics (beans, rice, etc.).

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Aldi's 2% milk is $3.11 a gallon in my area. The grocery stores are more but milk has been going on sale when it didn't use to.

Aldi's butter is $2.19 a pound Again the grocery store is more but has been going on sale and it didn't use too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.