Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I am soooo happy our kitchen remodel is turning out so nice!
Bottom row of cabinets are done, just need to add the hardware.

For those of you who dont know, my DH has tackled this project on by himself using free plywood, MDF, hardware we cought at a yard sale and other things we mostly got free or paid very very very little for. (Except for the paint).

We started out with old yucky metal cabinets, pink walls (still currently pink but we're taking it down and adding drywall and painting), the floors had laminate on top of laminate on top of laminate on top of beautiful hardwood that my DH sanded and refinished by hand, we also had a wall separateing the dining room from the kitchen, now there is no wall, and DH made a center island with our dishwasher in there and a pull out garbage bin holder :)

The first picture is a basic pic of how it looked once we started by taking out the old cabinets, the pictures following are of the progress. I will update this thread as things get done but so far I am loving the color!

View attachment 11585

View attachment 11586

View attachment 11587

Let me know how you ladies/gents like the color, again I will keep everyone updated on the progress and to see how the colors turn out.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Love the beautiful wood floors, it is looking great!!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Love it!!
I have the same sink, only mine is a double sideboard.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love it!!
I have the same sink, only mine is a double sideboard.
I didnt mind so much the sink, but our countertops were the same color as the pink walls and while metal cabinets are "ok" I like the wood look :)

The walls btw will be taken off and drywalled then painted a lighter green, inside the cabinets are painted white. I will also have a border going around the top in the kitchen as well.

View attachment 11593

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 years ago we remodeled our small back room (food storage right now till the pantry get's done) but we got free windows, drywall and everything from a friend who is in construction, even the wall border on top was almost free it was $1 at Ollies Bargain Outlet.

View attachment 11594

Gonna change the dark green to the same green as the cabinets.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I cant believe he made those out of almost free stuff. How cool is that. great job

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just love your new kitchen so far. I love the colors it is the same color as my cupboards. I have bought new paint for my cupboards but when I see yours I don't want to change my color. Your husband has done a fantastic job so far and I agree with the other girls the floor looks fabulous. Good work.:tay:

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I didnt mind so much the sink, but our countertops were the same color as the pink walls and while metal cabinets are "ok" I like the wood look :)

The walls btw will be taken off and drywalled then painted a lighter green, inside the cabinets are painted white. I will also have a border going around the top in the kitchen as well.

View attachment 11593
Were the pink walls this fiberboard/formica like slabs on the walls??? We have the same stuff on our walls only it's yellow & made to look like panelling with horizontal lines instead of vertical. Oh and it has lovely silver chrome squares where the 'slabs' are joined. I can't wait to take it down & dry wall our kitchen.

Great job on all the freebies too!

·
Registered
589 Posts
You tell your DH he is doing a great job! It looks great so far!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep that's actually what it was, we took some off and underneath was yucky old and smelly brown glue type stuff to keep it from falling off. lol It stunk so bad :( YankeeMom what year was your house built? Ours was in 1920 so I understand the color scheme, lol. When our friends first came over they said our kitchen looked like a 50's kitchen with the colors and the black/white checkered floor.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It looks great! :clap: A new kitchen is so exciting!

Bet the kids are anxious :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Tracy - it looks fab! I love the hardwoods, and how do I wish that my dh was handy....he is sooooo not!!!!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Looks great, Tracy!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Your remodel looks great, I do like that color on the cabinets and the floor is gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
OMG!! Everything is soooo beautiful. You're lucky your dh is handy. Great job!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone! I am pretty lucky to have such a handy DH, he even built the deck on the back of the house and the small backroom as mentioned before, he used to do this kinda stuff as a side job and he's also good with cars too! :) :) :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow! Your husband is doing a very professional looking job. The cabinets are beautiful!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts