Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted before about our problems with my sd. My dh talked to her about joining the service and she seemed really interested. So Iwenton the Army's website. What I found is not encouraging. She will never pass the fitness part of the test. She isn't overwieght but she cant do a sit up or touch her toes to save her life. We have tried to work with her before on this and get nowhere. I hate to say it but she's lazy. Even overwieght I can do it. How you get 100% in gym without being able to do the standard exercises is beyond me. Last night she says if I get a job can I get unemployment if I quit? This doesn't sound good either. Of course when she came to live with us when she was 12 she thought when people quit working they were rich. Literally. She kept asking for things that were way out inl eft field money wise and when we finally explained that we couldn't afford a 10,000 4 wheeler she said but you don't work anymore so you have the money Everyone does when they are done working. Big wake up call. So back to researching things

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If you go on the Air Force's website, they have a list of things to do 8 weeks (I think, it might be 12) BEFORE you report to boot camp to get in shape. That might give you a better idea.

Good luck!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll look in to that. sofar she has only showed interest in the army but Ithink she might have to consider other options. She told the neighbor that she would cover his plants with pine needles and leaves. She was ok until she found out that she has to lug 2 whole buckets of pine needles since he has no pine trees. It's not like it's 2 miles just across the yard and she's getting paid for it to boot. Thanks again

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't give up. Take her in to talk to a recruiter. If you join as an E-1 I don't think you have to take any type of "test" and then in basic she will/have to learn/get in shape.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
The military will GET her in shape. Trust me on this. Take her to a recruiter - he'll make it work.

Reactions: guest002

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The fitness test is something you have to pass when you leave boot camp, not when you get there. When you go through meps they just check your body weight and stuff... It may say that you have to pass a fitness test, but they don't actually check you before you go in. If she can't pass they may extend boot camp for her in order to get her to pass, but you'd be shocked at how many people go into boot with zero physical ability.

How can a person not touch their toes, btw? I've seen people have problems with it and I just find it mind blowing. I just can't wrap my head around it... I can do it even when I'm out of shape and overweight. :laugh:

Edited because I spelled toes "tows"

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sounds like she needs a good teen boot camp. You and have talked in the past with some problems i was having and.. They the kids feel that they are intitled to the best cars,phone,gaming,laptops. Sorry not it my world, if they want that they need to earn it. We are here to shelter them,feed them,give them love. Not to spoil them. I have met some of the sweetist kids that come from homes that don't provide these things. Not saying kids that do have these are mean and not nice. I just think what i have seen you have more respectful and caring kids without all that goes into spoiling them. Hang in there You know what my view points are.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Personally from the sounds of her I dont think she would last in bootcamp. Its not like the military is not hitting its recruitement goals. Theres a recession going on. Lots of people joining

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm with you Nana. She has none of the glitzy things that allt he kids want. We can't afford glitz. Of course she thinks she's entitled to it. Like i said I have no clue how you can get 100% in gym and not be able to do the basic stuff like touch your toes. There's no doubt in my mind that the service would whip her into shape and be quick about it.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
If she's not motivated and really wanting to join the military, do not push her into it, period. Don't do it. If it's something she wants to do, then have her speak to recruiters. Let her do this on her own accord.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Don't worry--a couple of weeks in basic will get her in shape-quick !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts