Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I got the kids passports done first thing yesterday because there may be delays in processing. Other than that we are prepared for things that may happen be it the shutdown , weather etc. I just wonder how long it will last.

·
Registered
460 Posts
ugh. I could rant on for days. Sick to death of the nonsense happening in the federal government. My husband is home because of the shutdown. He has already been off 6 days for furlough earlier this year. Completely ridiculous.

If he is off more than 5 days, he will get paid unemployment. Neither of us has ever received an unemployment check. I guess that would be kinda cool.

Part of me wants him to just quit and retire completely. He is 45 and has another 7 years and 9 months before he can start collecting a second retirement check. I say just quit now. We would pay so much less in taxes and that sounds too damn good right now, when it turns my stomach to keep paying into this corrupt system.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yep, there are many essential folks (like my ex husband) who has to report but will not get paid until we have a budget.

They will eventually get paid, but it is on hold for now.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Yep, there are many essential folks (like my ex husband) who has to report but will not get paid until we have a budget.

They will eventually get paid, but it is on hold for now.
Ok.....that cooled my blood:) I thought they were having to work for no pay. Not the best situation but at least they will get paid. I do keep hearing them saying that the president and congress are still getting paid though. I really don't pay a whole lot of attention because every time I see the president talking I just get mad and there is nothing I can do about it. Yes, I voted, hoping to make a difference but it didn't work out in my favor.

I did hear them say unemployment would be paid for this week but if this goes on longer it might not. After coming off of nearly a year of unemployment, that was already cut during the sequester, I hope that doesn't happen to people.

I think the health care is what is really going to do us in. It is going up, up, up for those of us that actually work and take care of ourselves, pay our own way. Nearly double for us, and double for other working family I know.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
We work without pay until the furlough is over, so if it goes on for several weeks, we don't get a paycheck that whole time. When the shutdown ends, we will EVENTUALLY get the back pay. If you get furloughed, you risk not getting paid for that time you were off, so at least I know that I will at some point break even in my salary. We had one employee who was considered essential, but she had to go to a funeral today, and since she couldn't report to work today, she was furloughed. Essential is essential. If you can take leave, you are not essential.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The Affordable Care Act is just horrible, IMO. And you are right Tami, for those folks who work and take care of themselves, we will be paying for those that do not. I know that sounds unsympathetic, but it would be the same as someone coming in and stealing your stockpile and giving it to others that did not plan and sacrifice.

We pay car insurance based on how well we drive and our history of accidents because of the probability of the insurance company paying out claims. They have to cover their risks. Why in the world are we not paying health insurance based on our health and how much the insurance company will have to pay out.

I get 30 minutes of cardio AND 45 minutes of weight lifting 6 days a week. I eat healthy foods EVERYDAY. I do not eat donuts and McDonalds. Heart disease is the biggest killer in this country and 60% of our population is overweight. Why should the 40% pay the same rates? This makes no sense at all. We are punishing people for taking care of themselves. It's INSANITY.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I won't get into a debate here, but since opinions are being freely expressed, I will say only that I am Republican, but voted for Obama both times; that I was really impressed by how much the House and Senate got done their first two years under his administration; that I AM for the Affordable Care Act, because if you think we don't pay NOW for uninsured people through high insurance premiums, you are wrong; and that I consider the fact that, like the Pres and Congressmen/Senators, I will not collect a paycheck until the Republicans, who are ignoring the fact that: a) the Affordable Care Act is a LAW and b) the Affordable Care Act has support by the majority of American people (think it was 55% with over 88% saying they really liked particular facets of it, if not the entire law), stop holding the economy hostage to keep their minority Teapublican faction happy, is totally something that could have been avoided and is something that was utterly manufactured by the Republicans who, two years ago, actually promised their constituents that they would, in fact, shut the government down. I am just sorry that the President didn't call the Republicans bluff by shutting down SSI checks, TSA (to shut down the airports), and the other "essential" services, including mine, so that all those people who think what is going on right now is so great would realize just exactly how much they DO depend on a government that is functional.

:nrant:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I won't get into a debate here, but since opinions are being freely expressed, I will say only that I am Republican, but voted for Obama both times; that I was really impressed by how much the House and Senate got done their first two years under his administration; that I AM for the Affordable Care Act, because if you think we don't pay NOW for uninsured people through high insurance premiums, you are wrong; and that I consider the fact that, like the Pres and Congressmen/Senators, I will not collect a paycheck until the Republicans, who are ignoring the fact that: a) the Affordable Care Act is a LAW and b) the Affordable Care Act has support by the majority of American people (think it was 55% with over 88% saying they really liked particular facets of it, if not the entire law), stop holding the economy hostage to keep their minority Teapublican faction happy, is totally something that could have been avoided and is something that was utterly manufactured by the Republicans who, two years ago, actually promised their constituents that they would, in fact, shut the government down. I am just sorry that the President didn't call the Republicans bluff by shutting down SSI checks, TSA (to shut down the airports), and the other "essential" services, including mine, so that all those people who think what is going on right now is so great would realize just exactly how much they DO depend on a government that is functional.

:nrant:
Thank you for your opinion Madhen. I am the first to admit I do not know much about politics or have an understanding for the long term consequences.

The area I live has a growing number of illegal immigrants. They know how to work the system ( as do people who were legally born here) and I just get tired of footing the bill. They love to brag about all they get for free. So this is where my frustration stems from.....

* I just re read you post madhen. Thank you again for the info.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would be on board if I thought for a second that additional government oversight and intervention would "fix" the uninsured problem in this country. It will do more harm than good.

I'm also seeing statistics claiming that only 36% support the affordable care act.

Statistics are what you make them to be.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've just been wondering why, if the ACA is so affordable, the Congress and Senate were given a special deal where 70% of their premiums are paid for by the taxpayers but they wouldn't delay the penalties for the individual mandate by a year. These were some of the last minute compromises sent to the Senate. Agree to give up the subsidy for their premiums and delay the penalties for a year. Senate said no. Seems pretty self-serving to me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Congressman Tom McClintock Addresses the House Floor on the Government Shutdown: Let Us Reason Together

"With the clock running out, the House offered a third compromise: fund the entire government, fund Obamacare, including the malfunctioning exchanges, but at least delay the mandate for individuals to obtain coverage for a year while these problems are addressed, and rescind the illegal action of the President that shields members of Congress from the costs of this law. It’s a simple principle: equality under law.

Since the President exempted big business from the mandate to provide healthcare for employees, it’s only fair that those employees should also be relieved from the mandate to purchase it. And if members of Congress can’t afford the new costs of Obamacare, how do we expect the average American to do so?

But once again, the Senate summarily rejected the third compromise by the House and once again, refused even to discuss our differences."

Found the link to the compromise suggested. Still don't see why it was rejected since it did fund both the government and the ACA.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It was rejected because Obama didn't get everything Obama wanted. He acts worse than a spoiled rotten rich kid! I'm sick of his constant name calling, lies and how he destroys anyone who doesn't think he's a God. Personally - I think he's a modern day Hitler and he needs to be stopped before he can continue to follow the path Hitler took. Maybe I'm way out in left field (and I hope I am) but he is a very bad person and I'm ashamed that he is our president.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts