Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone recommend any soups that use 6 ingredients or less. I already know about potato and french onion :) thx

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Luncheon Pea Soup

Ingredients

* 1 cup instant mash potato flakes
* 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
* 17 2/3 ounces frozen peas
* 1 2/3 cups chicken stock
* 5/8 cup sour cream

Directions

1.Heat water, stir in potato flakes in large pot and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in salad dressing and peas.
3. Blend soup. return to pot. add chicken stock and 3/4 tsp pepper.
4.boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 mins, stirring often.
5. stir in sour cream.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Lentil Soup

Ingredients:

* 1 cup lentils, sorted and rinsed
* 1 quart chicken stock
* 2 carrots, sliced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 onion, diced

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a 3-4 quart crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours until all ingredients are tender. Serves 4-6

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Bacon Mac & Cheese Soup

(source: Shortcut Cooking - by Linda Larsen)

4 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
1 (6-oz.) package shells and white Cheddar macaroni and cheese mix (try Annie's Shells & White Cheddar Macaroni & Cheese, but you can use any brand)
3 c. milk
1 c. frozen baby peas
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. In large pot, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Drain all but 1-tablespoon bacon drippings from the pot. Cook and stir onion in drippings until crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes.

2. Add macaroni, cheese-sauce mix (powder), and milk to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add peas and Parmesan cheese; cook, stirring, until peas are hot and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes longer. Garnish soup with bacon and serve.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
1 can progresso lentil soup, 1 sml can v8 juice and a bit of tobasco sauce. simmer together. serve over small pasta w/ some grated cheese. it is a bit high in sodium, but, quick and yummy........

pasta fagioli
dried white beans, 2 cans of tomato sauce, celery, onions, garlic, carrots and garlic. simmer til beans are tender. seve over ditallini pasta and top w/ grated cheese.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I make a mean bean & bacon chowder

~1lb bacon
~1 can baked beans
~1 small onion
~4 cups milk
~2 medium potatoes
~thyme
~flour

(ok, that's 7 lol)

Chop bacon, mince onion. Brown bacon & onion in dutch oven. Do not remove grease. Add 2 tablespoons flour to make a roux. Add in 4 cups of milk, stirring. Heat but do not boil.

The potatoes you can cook in the milk. I prefer to cook them separately because as hot as the liquid needs to be to cook the potatoes is usually too hot for the milk, it burns. Or you could use a can of cooked potatoes and dice them up.

Add thyme and baked beans. Heat until beans are heated through. Serve with warm dinner rolls.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Carrot-Celery Soup

(this is a very light soup)

1 can condensed chicken broth
1 can water
1/2 T. salad oil
1/2 c. each - thinly sliced carrots and celery
2 T. chopped onion
1 t. soy sauce

1. In a saucepan heat salad oil. Add sliced carrots, celery, and chopped onion.

2. Saute vegetables 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

3. Add 1 can condensed chicken broth, 1 can water and soy sauce.

4. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.

5. Garnish with 2 T. chopped parsley (optional).

(Note: You can make this soup with homemade chicken broth instead of canned condensed broth.)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
New Year's Soup:

1 can Black eyed peas or field peas
1 head of cabbage shredded
1 jar of tomato sauce
1 jar of water (use tomato sauce jar)
cubed ham or leftover meat.

I put this in my crockpot on low for 6ish hours.

Reactions: MRoseB

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I make this odds and ends soup for a quick one:

1 can tomato soup (diluted as usual)
1 can of chicken broth
herbs of choice - I like parsley, bay leaf, marjoram

Toss in any soup-appropriate cooked meat, veggies etc, or little bits of bagged frozen veggies. If I use leftover soup/pasta, I put them in at the end so they don't get soggy.

It may end up more than 6 or 7 ingredients, depending on what you have on hand, but it is definitely simple.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Frozen potato gnocchi (make as directed)
2 jars of Alfredo Pasta Sauce (ragu??)
1- 8ou. pkg. white cheese pre grated
2-4C milk (thick or thin)
pre cooked shredded chicken
Sprinkle w/ parsley,garlic,pepper to taste
to make more like Olive Garden add spinach at last few minutes of heating. Shredded carrots is nice too.

All you do is dump and heat until cheese is melted. Sprinkle w/ parmesaen if wanted. (I skip for salt reasons). O.K well it's almost six.lol.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Tomato soup

olive oil
1/2 chopped onion
1 large can tomatoes (any kind)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk or cream
1 tsp basil

Chop the onion and cook it in a little oil until it softens. Add the tomatoes and broth. Heat to simmering. Using a stick blender, or working in batches in an upright blender, puree the soup until it is smooth. Add basil and bring soup back up to a low simmer. Slowly stir in the cream.

You can adjust amounts to taste, add more broth or cream, use two smal cans of tomato, whatever. It is a very flexible soup. And it freezes well, even with cream in it.

Beef Barley soup

A pot of beef broth, however many cups you want
1/8 cup barley per cup of broth
chopped onion
chopped carrot
chopped celery
beef
oregano

Saute the vegetables until they begin to soften. Use as much or little as you want, or have. A half cup each is a good starting place, but don't add much more celery as it can be overpowering. I typically use 4-6 cups of beef broth and a big handful of barley. It will quadruple in size.

I use whatever beef I have on hand or leftover. Any cut of cheap steak will work, also leftover pot roast. Chop it into bite size pieces and let it simmer until the barley has swollen and is soft. Sprinkle in some oregano, remove from heat and let it hang out until serving time. The barley will continue to suck up water like a sponge, don't be surprised if it looks like oatmeal when you get leftovers out the next day. It will still taste great.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Rivel Soup

3 C chicken stock >these are guestimates
3/4 C chicken
2 eggs
2 C flour

Mix flour and eggs to a sort of lumpy consistency. Add to boiling stock and chicken by rubbing between your hands. Cook until tender about 15 or 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hamburger, red cabbage and some onion.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Broccoli Cheese soup

Cut up 2 heads of broccoli in 3" pieces or so and boil until a fork slides in easily
Drain. Put back in stock pot.
Dump in 2 cans of campbells broccoli cheese soup (or 1 plain cheddar and i broccoli cheese if your out)
Fill cans w/ milk and dump in
Dump in 1- 8 oz. bag of pre shredded sharp or extra sharp cheese
Pepper the whole top of the pot
Add mushrooms from a can if my family isn't there
Stir and heat until cheese is melted. Thin w/ more milk if it's too thick. All recipes assume skim millk.
You can put oyster crackers and more sharp grated cheese if your cholesterol isn't high enough.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Chicken Noodle soup

1-2 baked chicken breast shredded (canned is doable but greasy)
5 cans of swanson chicken broth/equal amts water
(make some of the broth low-fat or low salt)
1 can carrots
2 stalks celery
1 bag egg noodles
1/2 chopped onion
season (generous sprinkling of garlic POWDER not salt,3 bay leaves,pepper whole top,salt to taste at end)

Simmer celery and onions and bay leaves until onion and celery are soft but not mushy (10 min.???) Sometimes I leave the bay leaves in to bring more flavor overnight.

Dump in everything else. Stir. Remove bay leaves and toss before serving. Add oyster crackers,

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
My MIL's recipe for Corn Chowder

2 cans corn (1 cream/1 regular drained)
1lb bacon
1 onion minced
2 qts milk
2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
parsley

Brown bacon & onion. Do not drain. Add in corn & milk. Stir to heat. I cook the potatoes separately so the milk doesn't burn. Add potatoes into soup, sprinkle with parsley & serve.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Leftover Roast Beef Soup

2 c. Chopped or shredded leftover roast beef
1 c. Chopped or leftover mashed potatoes
2 c. Chopped carrots (I toss mine in the food processor)
1/2 onion, chopped fine (again, I toss mine, with a couple cloves garlic, in the food processor)
any leftover broth from the roast, cooled and skimmed of fat

Sauté onions in butter or oil til slightly browned. In a crockpot, mix remaining ingredients. Pour in broth, and then add water to make it soupy. Turn on, let simmer most of the day.

PS: you can add corn, tomatoes, etc. To this as you like. My hubby doesn't like veggies.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Hamburger Soup

2 c. Cooked ground beef
1 19oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
1 c. Chopped or leftover mashed potatoes
1 c. Chopped carrots
1-2 c. Mixed frozen veggies

add everything to the crockpot, add enough water to make it soupy, turn on and let simmer all day. Voilà!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts