Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~AKA, my first knitted project. :D It took two evenings to make it and by the second evening my hands were aching and cramping. You serious knitters must have some amazing hand strength!
Anyway, everything I've heard about starting knitting is true. I am hooked! :knit:I've been thinking about knitting in my sleep and hurrying my other chores so I can get back to it. :crackup:
Pic is posted on my blog: The 6 Hour Dishcloth Lately Reconstructed I tried to grab the pic to post here but IE won't let me. :(
Hey, quick question, and a pretty stupid one at that but, you are supposed to prep your skein by rolling it into a ball first right? Or it that a pointless step? My sis is a crocheter and she does so I just did it without even questioning if it was necessary. ~

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Good start! It is addictive. I haven't knitted for years - I prefer crochet. I'm churning out lap afghans for a hospice. It might be fun though to pick up some needles and do a cable pattern afghan.

As for your hands, unless you have arthritis, they will stop hurting. You were probably using muscles in different repetitive patterns and since you are just starting, you were probably holding the work more tensely - working harder at it than you will when it becomes second nature. Then you should be able to knit effortlessly for hours.

The yarn. I guess it depends. I use large pull skeins, so I don't wind it into balls until I've used so much of the center that it collapses on itself. For others, I don't know, but I don't think it's ever something you have to do.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
YAYYA!! Just think of all those pretties you can make for the baby!! There is an awesome pattern in the newest issue of Creative Knitting for a spring weight car seat cozy!

Your hands will get used to it! And I always end up rolling my balls. (hahaha that sounds dirty!)

·
Registered
236 Posts
that looks great! you are a natural! keep it up... This gives me inspiration to learn to knit.... I love crochet but would like to know how to knit also.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Ditto to joining ravelry!!

As for rolling yarn into a ball, I only do that if it comes in a twisted skein like this:

If it's a machine made skein, like the Peaches & Cream cotton, or LionBrand yarns, I just leave it the way it is ;)

·
2,688 Posts
I think you did great for the first time :)

I do roll the skeins into balls before I start.
I like to do them when I am reading on the computer.

I like to know ahead of time if there is any knots in the yarn. When I am doing a hat on the knitting machine, I want the yarn to be right. I don't want to know part way through the project, there is a knot looking at me through no fault of my own. Knots stick out like a sore thrumb. If I know where the knot is, then I can work it into a seam. It's that surprise I don't like. So yes I roll the yarn into balls :)

Reactions: nuisance26

·
19,119 Posts
Great looking cishcloth - so glad that you are hooked too!!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I haven't knit much with cotton, but some people find it more difficult than knitting with wool. Apparently, wool has 'memory' or 'flexibility' -- and cotton doesn't.

Join Ravelry. You'll be inspired.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
congrats... and welcome to the dark side :lol:

If you see a ball of yarn in my house, it's because I pulled something apart in frustration... I don't frog... I destroy! lol

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Great job :knit:

The others are right about just needing to get used to using your hands that way. Also you may be holding your needles too tight. I know that's why mine hurt LOL Once you knit more, you'll loosen up :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
that pattern is my a-one absolute favourite for dishcloths. i wish i could knit because i would make zillions of them.

i crochet and i don't always roll the ball up. i do find that by the end of the skein everything is all knotted and jumbled and i waste time untangling it.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
~AKA, my first knitted project. :D It took two evenings to make it and by the second evening my hands were aching and cramping. You serious knitters must have some amazing hand strength!
Anyway, everything I've heard about starting knitting is true. I am hooked! :knit:I've been thinking about knitting in my sleep and hurrying my other chores so I can get back to it. :crackup:
Pic is posted on my blog: The 6 Hour Dishcloth Lately Reconstructed I tried to grab the pic to post here but IE won't let me. :(

You did a GREAT job! Knitting dishcloths is addictive....I've found so many different patterns I can't wait to try, and I'm also taking a cloth of the month class at my local yarn shop. Hey....that'd be a fun thing to do here, wouldn't it? Anyone up for a dishcloth of the month? :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts