Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to write an Urban Fantasy story for a while but for some reason I've just set it aside. Well, not entirely but I haven't applied BIC (Butt in Chair) too much lately. Sheer laziness, mostly. However, I'm slowly working my way back to it. I've found that I'm starting to think of writing out scenes of things totally unrelated to this story. However, this is a good thing because I'm getting back into my writing mode again.

Now if only I could figure out the middle of my current WIP so I can finish it. Right now, it's mostly dialogue and not much action. Then again, it's only the first draft so I'm not too worried about fleshing it out. That's what's second drafts are for.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still working on my WIP. I've put a bit more work into it. I found another writer's group which I think is helping a lot more than my old one. Not that my old one was bad. It just didn't have the focus I needed. This new group is not only one that shares my interest (sci-fi/fantasy) but we mostly get together to work on writing the stories, not just critiquing what we already have. This gives me the motivation to work on it since I'm with others who are doing the same thing. That and I can look up and say "hey, I got X scene and I'm not sure what I want to do with it" and get instant responses.

That and I'm going to the library more often since I realized I find it too easy to distract myself at home with other projects.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Spirit Deer, I have been reading but unfortunately, most of it has been sort of "research", rather than genre. Which is also necessary. Fortunately, I've found Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series which has gotten me back into reading genre.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL - so true. I find that I have more books for 'research' than general reading materials. One thing I think is funny is that I was re-reading a series I like and I tend to notice how much effort the author put into the menu of the main characters. Ok, one of the main characters is a noble but still, she still puts a lot of effort into what the MC's ate.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still slogging away on my WIP's. I currently have two WIP. I alternate between them so that when I get slogged down in one, I switch to the other to work on. Right now, I'm working on the post-apocalyptic fantasy WIP and the plot's finally coming together. I need to re-work what I have so far a bit but once that's done, I'm hoping it goes more smoothly.

One thing that's helped is making writing at the coffee shop once a week (for now) a habit. I go on the weekend so that I can go on the internet but still have time to do work as well.

I think the Great Courses lecture DVD's I've picked up have also helped, if only for prompts and ideas. Of course, I do have a couple of notebooks to jot notes into, when I think of something.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That anime sounds like fun, Kathy.

I don't mind having the food described in detail when it's a major part of the story, such as in the way you describe (characters owning/working in the food industry). It's when the main focus of the story is not food industry oriented or has no characters involved in food prep that I find it a distraction. For example, I tried reading The Discovery of Witches and it seemed that most of the first half of the book seemed extremely focused on what the two MC's are eating/drinking than anything else. Or exercising. It's like "oh, look they're drinking/eating/exercising again", rather than pushing the story forward. It seemed like the author was showing off her own knowledge of wine.

On the other hand, The Discovery of Witches was a long book and the female MC was very much a Mary Sue. I might watch an episode of the TV adaptation to see if it's better. I found the Twilight movies better than the books but still didn't like the series in either form.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still slogging away on one of my WIP. Still 'editing' the stuff I've already written but I'm feeling better about where the plot's going. Having the notebooks is helpful. I can jot ideas and useful information in one place as they come up. I've started keeping one notebook for each story since they're not set in the same 'world'/setting.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally through 'editing' the stuff I already wrote, tightening up the plot a bit. Now I'm onto new work. I've done a couple of pages worth in the past week. I think I'll go to both the Sunday write-in and one of the week write-ins. The week-day write-ins are good because there are other people there. It's helpful to have that working vibe going as well as the chance to brainstorm if needed. The Sunday write-in are good for chugging along for a few hours (and puttering around).

I have two notebooks on various folklore done and am working on a third. I plan on using these as sort of prompts to keep me going as well as a quick reference if I do using something.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. No, I haven't done Nanowrimo. Never really felt the urge to do it. Right now, it's a case of "Butt in Chair" that works for me, even I end up with only a few hundred words each session. That's one of the reasons why I like the Sunday write-in sessions. I have most of the day to both look at the internet and focus on writing.

Eventually, I may try Nanowrimo.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Still working on one of my stories. I've changed Sunday writing spots as the one coffee shop where the writing group used to go to closed on Sundays a few months back. Now it looks like that shop has closed permanently. That's sad because it seemed to be doing a decent amount of business. I think I had heard that they had opened another store somewhere else, though. Oh well, I'm glad I changed sites long before then.

The writing group moved to a small "bakery" (more like a restaurant) at one of the local malls. It was usually too noisy for me. If I do need a group setting, I can always go to the group meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Panera's.

Anyway, I've been having a bit of a writer's block recently but I think worked past that. I've been looking at folklore online and collecting what interests me into notebooks, specifically for this situation. Last night, I started flipping through the folklore notebooks and was like, "yeah, that works". Just have to remember to bring my story notebook to the coffee shop next week. :lol:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've decided to start my one WIP over from the beginning. I realized it took a totally different turn from where I thought it was going to go initially. Instead of doing a sort of road-trip, the plot demanded it be a 'local' story. I still have the draft I put so much work on, so I can reference what I had before since I want to use some plot points from there. Sigh. I put ~75,000 words into it and now the plot decided to change course. And all because I did some research on some folklore and the muse grabbed hold of it and started cackling in delight.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks, SD. I'm a 'pantser' plotter (plot by seat of my pants) so the plot's not exactly wrecked. :lol: The research actually made some of my ideas work better. Now it's just a matter of sitting down and working on it.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A common statement in writing is "First drafts are always crap." That and "Kill your darlings".

I realized, even as I was writing the first pass that just got scrapped, that even I was questioning the reasons why the characters were doing what they were doing. This time around, the reasoning's better.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ouch. That must have been something big for an apology email to go out like that. I used to be on a writer's board but I started having log-in/posting issues and I eventually left it. I also started not liking the feel/tone of it as well.

Sigh. It's slow going at the moment. At least I'm getting more work done with the virus having shut most places down for the time being. But I really enjoyed writing at the coffee shop. I got to see people there. Even if I was also getting distracted by the internet more often.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry to hear about the literary 'snobbery' in your town, SD.

Yeah, I'm thinking of this as a second draft and it's definitely a reworking. I do like a good portion of the first draft but it was too meandering and raised too many questions, even for me. The biggest one at the start was why one of the MC's would trust people he just met with such a big secret. Then there's another MC who decides to join the group far too easily. The way I'm starting now, these two MCs start off working together and join up with the others based on the second MC's established connection with the others.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I haven't gotten to printing out pages yet for edits but I had been putting comments on the side (using Word, although I may need to look into something like Scribner eventually) when I have a thought or a question to myself. I did start a whole new document though since it would've been a real pain in the butt to try and cut or move things around otherwise.

One good thing about the shutdown is having the time to get some writing in. I normally write on Sundays at a local coffee shop but that's closed for the time being. I do miss it, though. At least I would see other people, if not talk to them. But being stuck inside has forced me to get more writing done. Although, once I get my new DVD player, I will probably spend time binging on my DVDs for a while.

Hope you get your office in order, although I hope your arm heals quickly as well.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I agree, writing is writing. I never understood haiku, though, so I'm impressed with anyone who can do it. :)

Ended up reading fanfiction yesterday so I didn't get any of my own writing done yesterday. And my new computer/DVD player should be here today. But now that I'm getting into the habit of writing more often, I hope it continues once things start to return to normal. Although I will enjoy being able to get out and do what I want again.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Got some more work done on my story, although not as much as I would've liked. I'm really enjoying the research into the folklore and such.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yay! The reboot was definitely the way to go. I know I will have to fill in some 'shading' but the bare bones are fitting together nicely now. I thought about putting in a point from the previous draft then realized there was no way to deal with it, given the direction the story's going now. I still have to deal with part of the original idea (one of the MC's having made notes of his work pre-apocalypse) but I think I can fix that once they meet up with the people the MCs will be looking for. Or copies could already be in the town library considering the story takes place 15 years after an apocalypse. (People have been moving around once things calmed down and the town has one of the largest libraries in the area.)

1 - 20 of 172 Posts