Frugal Village Forums banner

241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Got some more worldbuilding questions printed out for future reference. I like hard copies, especially if I decide to go to the coffee shop (once indoor seating is permitted) to work on my writing but forget/don't want to bring my laptop. This will be a lot easier to get up and go if the coffee shop gets too crowded or I can't access a plug for my laptop. And I can work on them if the power goes out at some point (at least during the day). Having something to work on without the glare of a computer screen is nice too.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Got some writing done today with a little bit of forward motion. Haven't been doing as well on the worldbuilding. Worldbuilding is definitely addicting, although I do make sure I keep Sundays for actual writing.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Got some writing done on Sunday but right now I'm a bit stuck. I'm hoping the writing class that will start in a couple of weeks will help kick start things again. I made sure I at least opened up the story and spent a little time on it. I don't want to just let that slide, even if I just spent 30 minutes on it.

But I did get some worldbuilding done over the weekend. That's been fun, although there are a couple of things that I'm not sure of (at least not yet). I also have a couple of writing lectures from the Great Courses series. One is on the science of science fiction (How Science Shapes Science Fiction). That is interesting but a lot more technical than I expected. It also doesn't really apply that much to the stories I'm writing but is good to know in general. I also got another one on Science Fiction (How Great Science Fiction Works) and one on writing fiction in general (Writing Great Fiction) that should be better suited to what I'm doing. Just ordered another lecture series on detective/mysteries and I'm waiting for it to ship. I may be writing fantasy but I'm sure mystery/detective stories bleed over a bit. Especially the one I'm working on now since it's a bit of a quest for information.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Tomorrow's my first writing class. I have the zoom link from the teacher already so that's good. But I also have a late PT session tomorrow, although I go back to my 'usual' time on Wednesday, starting next week. So I'm going to be a bit late.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Wasn't too impressed by the first writing class last night. I had rushed home from PT because this week's session was at 6 pm, rather than my usual 5:30 pm. Then there were issues trying to log in to the zoom meeting. I would've been ok with that, despite it being frustrating.

The biggest problem was the teacher pretty much just rambled for the better part of an hour with no clear direction. I nearly fell asleep. I just hope it's better next week.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Last week's class turned out to be the best one yet. Finally got everyone involved with critiquing a short story. I suggested working on plotting and creating outlines for plotting for this coming Wednesday's class. I'll see how it goes. I also started the Great Courses lecture series on writing fiction. That course has 6 eps/lectures on plot alone so I'm looking forward to that. I've watch three lectures so far and it's good so far.

Still working about an hour on Sundays but not really getting anywhere.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Not sure if there was a writing class yesterday or not because I never received the zoom link for it, if there was one. Part of me is ok with that. On the other hand, I was the one who asked about outlining for plot, which would be done during yesterday's class. I think the Great Courses lectures on writing is going to be the way to go, at least for me.

Again, did sit down to write on Sunday but didn't really get much done.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Still getting some writing in on Sundays, although definitely not as long as I would like to. I'm starting to watch episodes of one of the Great Courses writing lecture series on Sunday as well. Right now, it's the "Writing Great Fiction" lectures. I have a couple of other writing related courses that I'll get to eventually. The one I'm watching now suggests writing exercises that I may go back and do at some point.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Still trying to get writing done on Sundays but not doing as much as I would like. Right now, I'm finding I'm distracting myself and I need to knuckle down again.

Found something called the "Story Engine Deck", which sounds interesting. The original SED focuses on characters and character motivations/prompts. This should be helpful for more minor characters in my current WIP. If nothing else, going through the deck should help get me thinking on things. There is also an expansion deck on Kickstarter for locations and such, which works with the original deck.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Nice that the classes are working out for you!
Martha, the online classes ended up not working out for me. I ended up being more frustrated than anything else. Haven't finished the Great Courses lecture series just yet. But I think it will likely be the first one that I'll watch more than once at this point. (I have so many lectures that I haven't watched yet that I want to complete before repeating anything besides the writing series.)

I did get the Story Engine Deck and its expansions. So far so good. I'm enjoying it, what little I've done with it so far. I've gotten a few minor ideas from it but I haven't actually sat down and written anything based on it yet. The thing I really want is the new deck that's still in its Kickstarter campaign stage. That is geared towards creating landscapes and sites, rather than characters (which is the original SED). Both decks are based on the same concept and are supposed to be able to be integrated together.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Too bad. maybe some online groups or things will open up in the fall and you can do something in person. Find some writing groups. The storydeck sounds like fun and helpful. I look forward to reading some of your work! cus it is a skill!

Both my kids took creative writing last year and I was why lol cus I appreciate people writing but not my skill set lol. I took it in school but that was cus we moved so new school and limited what I could take.

I have a friend who wrote blogs etc and now as his kids are older..got some stories in books etc. entered contests too. nothing that will make him rich but progress and makes him happy.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
I find that most libraries usually have the critiquing groups where people share/read sections of their work and the rest of the group responds to what worked or didn't work for them.

But there is one group that I hope to be able to get back to once things open up more. This group is an actual working session for writers. We bring our laptops and such and write/do research. A lot of the time it can be pretty quiet but it's nice to be in a group setting while writing. And it has the added benefit of being able to throw out ideas or questions and brainstorm as needed.

Hope your kids liked the creative writing class, Martha.

241 - 253 of 253 Posts