Frugal Village Forums banner
301 - 320 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Started listening to the first Dragonlance novel on CD. (I don't listen to enough audiobooks to justify getting an Audible account at this point.) I noticed I was paying attention to the description/narrative with a writer's mindset and thinking of how to apply fleshing out the non-dialogue sections of my own writing. So, I'll count that as a win.

I haven't been reading fiction as much as I should recently and I really want to get back to it, especially since I've gotten more into writing with the pandemic and not really wanting to get out of the house as much these days.

·
Super Moderator
20,802 Posts
See if your library offers audiobooks for download. You will probably have to download an app, but if it's like our library, they can help with that if need be. Our library offers 2 apps, Overdrive and Libby. I started with Overdrive but decided I like Libby better. I have both. I think both are commonly used by many libraries.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
SD - I'll look into that, although I do have to check if I can download to my computer at home. I don't have a tablet or Nook/Kindle. Well, I do have a Nook my Dad gave me when he upgraded to a new one but that was many years ago.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
Didn't get any writing done yesterday. I got slammed by the COVID vaccine booster a few days earlier so I decided to putter around on the weekend. I do have another thought on the story - decided to cut out one scene since I'm finding there's no real justification for it. It's more of a case of "why would they reach out to the mC when the story doesn't concern him at this point?" I will leave in the previous mentions to him at this point (beyond the "we're off to update X") since I have the feeling he may be brought in later. Especially since he's probably the character other people (not the MCs) might be looking for. He kinda washed his hands of the situation at this early stage and sorta just wants to keep his secrets. Well, they all seem to want to keep their secrets from each other. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
20,802 Posts
The older Nooks are no longer supported by B&N, and you can no longer use them with Overdrive because you can't download to a computer and then sideload to Nook. Many words were cussed when I found that out yrs ago.

Every MS needs a lil nip-n-tuck now and then. 🙂 Not as painful as a rip-n-tear though.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
SD - Thanks! Good to know about the Nook. I think I have a couple of books on it (at least ones I bought) but only a few. Not enough to get upset about, especially since I haven't bothered to charge the thing, let alone turn it on to read them. I haven't gotten into audiobooks, let alone ebooks, although I probably should at some point.

Thankfully, at this point in my MS, I can do a quick search by the character's name and do some trimming that way. I only have one character by that name (so far), so it should go fast. On the other hand, I think I only have the last scene that really needs to be cut away. The poor guy - he started out as an uncle-like character to one of the MCs and now is potentially a mole in town. Or at least a red herring. But if he will have secrets....

·
Super Moderator
20,802 Posts
Sounds intriguing!

B&N will have your e book purchases in your online account. I had no trouble downloading my purchased books to my Nook app on my phone.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
Bleh. While I did get some writing done, it wasn't that much at all. I cut out the section that I planned on taking out anyway (fortunately, just the last bit) but started to move forward in my new direction. However, I didn't really get that far. On one hand, my Dad had a bad weekend and we weren't sure how long he had left (he's improved a bit over the last 24 hours). On the other, I need to go back to my notes and get recharged on the story again. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
SD - Dad died on the 23rd. It was expected, since he had been slowly going downhill recently.

Working on a bit of my WIP's backstory (mostly to keep myself distracted). I found a bunch of world-building questions, which I printed out earlier in the year. As I was going through some of the questions, one kicked up a detail for one of the MCs. Not sure how this detail will play out in the story just yet.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Still doing some writing on Sundays, although not as long or as much as I would like. At least I'm still slogging along. One good thing is that I'm jotting down notes as they come to me (and I have something to write on/with). I just have to make sure I put those notes together in one notebook so I don't lose them since they're currently just on scrap paper at the moment. (I have a lot of blank notebooks that I picked up for this.)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
Been getting some new stuff done on my story the past few writing sessions on Sundays. Today, though, I went out (partially because I just wanted to get out of the house) and got some worldbuilding done for my story at a tea shop near the living history farm I go to regularly. It's in the area I'm using as the setting for the story so that works as well.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
I've been doing more worldbuilding the past couple of weekends than actual writing. Although the time I did sit down to write at home on Sundays, I've added more new material, even if it was only a few lines or paragraphs here and there.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Did some worldbuilding yesterday at the tea shop but ended up going home early. My stomach was acting up. Sigh. At least I got some stuff done on it.

Also did a little bit of writing today. Only half an hour but it was all new material. Things feel like they're moving forward a bit but haven't quite made it over the block that I've been having. At least I'm still moving forward.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Didn't get any worldbuilding on my story done on Saturday. Went larping instead. Did get a little bit done on my story yesterday, though. It was new material and I only did about 30 minutes of writing. I was still a bit tired from larping on Saturday and partially agitated because I've been having problems with my alarm clock. Then again, said alarm clock is ~30 years old and is probably dying. So I will probably have to dig out the area to get to the plug. I also went out to get a new alarm clock. It took me two stops to find one that suited my purpose. All I wanted was something that shows the time and beeps when the alarm goes off. (Seriously - smart clocks? No need for all the frigging bells and whistles for a simple alarm clock!)

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
DH uses his phone. It has a clock, an alarm, a variety of chimes, and can be set however he needs.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
CH - I was thinking of using my phone if I couldn't find a basic clock. I did find one, though. I can just see me forgetting about my phone alarm and having it go off when I don't want it to. :lol:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
Went to the tea shop last Saturday to get some worldbuilding done but ended up doing more talking with others than actual writing. Most of it was about the worldbuilding and backstory for my WIP so that's a plus. But it's been giving me more ideas and I think I finally have that one scene that will get me over my "block". I will probably have to put a note in to go back and flesh out a few points in the previous sections to tie things together better but at least I have something to help me move forward. I've been having issues with that for quite some time.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Yay! I think I finally got my plot hook!! Yay!! My previous plot hook attempts were more passive. Common writing advice has been "start in the middle of events". My 'aha' moment actually ties things together far better than what I was working with before.

Of course, that pretty much means reworking the story, pretty much from the beginning. I should be able to cut and paste some of it (I always save the previous drafts) but most of the previous ideas will still be there. But there is too much moving around of sections to make it worth keeping the draft as it is.

301 - 320 of 326 Posts