Frugal Village Forums banner

The Slow Slog....

Tags
slog slow
31K views 367 replies 12 participants last post by  renmerc446 
#1 ·
I've been trying to write an Urban Fantasy story for a while but for some reason I've just set it aside. Well, not entirely but I haven't applied BIC (Butt in Chair) too much lately. Sheer laziness, mostly. However, I'm slowly working my way back to it. I've found that I'm starting to think of writing out scenes of things totally unrelated to this story. However, this is a good thing because I'm getting back into my writing mode again.

Now if only I could figure out the middle of my current WIP so I can finish it. Right now, it's mostly dialogue and not much action. Then again, it's only the first draft so I'm not too worried about fleshing it out. That's what's second drafts are for.

#329 ·
Got a little worldbuilding done on Saturday at the local coffee shop and actual writing done at home yesterday. Didn't get as much as I would've liked done yesterday, more tweaking than new material. But at least I'm at a jumping off point to more the story along more than I've done in the past. One of the original MCs is now more of a minor plot hook character, rather than the major main character I expected him to be. He could make a resurgence later in the story, depending on where the plot goes. That seems to be the case with this story - a couple of characters who were supposed to be integral to the plot are now more plot hooks than active participants in the story. One seems to have nearly disappeared altogether. But I'll see how it goes....

#330 ·
Found a Discord server for writers. It was actually suggested by a Kickstarter campaign I supported. I've only been on it for a couple of days but it's been helpful, even in that short period of time. I missed chatting with other writers.

Of course, the brainstorming/worldbuilding is for the WIP I'm not working on at the moment. :LOL:

#334 ·
Got a little writing done on Sunday, although most tweaking what I have already. Then again, I did spend over an hour on the story, which is more than I've done the last few weeks. Did get some worldbuilding done on Saturday, though.

At the moment, I'm a little concerned that I'm more interested in worldbuilding than I am in actually writing the story. And I do admit, I am enjoying the world building. Even when I'm puttering around with looking at folklore and such, there are times when I come up with some ideas for my story, although they're a bit vague right now.

#335 ·
More writing done yesterday. Granted, it's only about a page or so but at least most of it's new material. Also went to the tea shop and got more worldbuilding done. I'm still trying to figure out what the BBEG's (Big Bad Evil Guys) motivation is but I've got one or two minor ideas. I just don't want them to be too derivative of other things I've seen or read. At least my 'muse' is still coming up with ideas. :lol:

#337 ·
Betthoi: Thanks. I've been working on this story for years and only now have been making decent progress. I should've worked on the worldbuilding a long time ago. :lol:

Got some more worldbuilding done on Saturday and writing done on Sunday. I think I may have an idea for the Critters' motivation as to why they're doing what they're doing, both currently and in the backstory.

#338 ·
Still chugging along on the story, even if I end up doing only a paragraph or two each time. But I'm still coming up with ideas to move the story along. The Critter's motivations are slowly becoming clearer as well.

Some of the characters have decided to change things up on me. :LOL: One minor character decided to be more active in his own situation than he had been initially, while a main character decided to become more of a support character.

#339 ·
Did a bit of writing on Sunday. As always, never as much as I would've liked. Then again, I didn't do anything the week before. Also got a little bit of world building done during my time off as well. Again, not as much as I would've liked. :lol:

One thing insisted I write it down last night before I went to sleep. Started thinking about a group that figures large in the backstory. Now, the group in general decided I needed to start fleshing it out, going backwards from the main event of the backstory and toward its origin. Since remnents of the group still fit into the story (and not just as backstory filler), I had to get it written down before I forgot some of the details.

#340 ·
Started a new story a few months ago, but got stuck. I started blogging again this week to get my creative juices flowing. I spent last year reading a ton, but if I'm always reading, I'm not writing. I need to find the balance.

Reactions: renmerc446
#342 · (Edited)
I think I've done more world-building than I have actual writing on my story this past month. Although in doing so, I have something that ties in better with where the plot has been going recently. And I think one of the characters that was supposed to be an antagonist (or at least working with the main villain for this story) is starting to come around the the MC's side. Mostly because he was nearly killed by the villain or happened upon the villain betray some who were supposed to be allies (to the villain). Now the supposed-to-be antagonist is starting to question his mission.

I supported a Kickstarter campaign to fund a world-building/story prompt tool for gamers and writers, called The Deck of Worlds. It helps with creating landscapes and location prompts. I went all out and got the expansion for the Story Engine Deck as well, which was the first tool/kit from the creator. I liked the Story Engine Deck since it did help with ideas for characters, especially the minor/secondary characters. But the Deck of Worlds also included some prompts for story ideas in general, which I think will be helpful, as well as some lore and flourish cards to help flesh out the world. Didn't get a chance to really 'play' with it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

#343 ·
Used the Deck of Worlds world-building tool today. Spent most of the afternoon creating a few story locations using the cards. I already had an idea of what I wanted from/for most of the locations I created today but using the deck still helped flesh them out more. There were a couple locations that I didn't have in mind when I started so it was really cool to spend the time working with deck.

#345 ·
My writing output has been 'meh' these last few weeks. Right now I'm more focused on worldbuilding, probably because I didn't do it in the past before I started writing. As I've been world building, I've started to realize that there are a lot of questions I need answered, particularly about events that happened in the "past" (story-wise). A Twitch streamer has been doing world building streams on a project he's doing, which has proved very helpful. At the very least, I have a better idea of how to get organized with keeping world building notes and getting ideas for my own stuff.

One stumbling block I need to get over is actually taking the next step in the story. I've been stalling when it comes to actually committing to the next scene in the story because it potentially leads in 3 different directions. I just need to sit down and commit to writing the scene. I think I've been stalling because it means I've gone farther in the story than I have in the past.

#349 ·
Didn't get any writing done yesterday. Had to get the bulbs in my headlights replaced. Relatively cheap fix, all things considered, especially since it's been a very long time since I've had to do that.

I have been getting some writing done on most Sundays, though. Even if it's just a few paragraphs each time.

#351 ·
Ended up taking a nap, rather than writing yesterday. Didn't do any worldbuilding on Saturday either. I think ideas are percolating, though. I had a bit of a plot shift recently, now it's just a matter of sitting down and doing the writing. I also watched a couple YouTube videos on worldbuilding that got me thinking, as well.

#353 ·
Haven't been doing well in sitting down and actually doing any writing recently. I also slowed down with world building. One thing I keep meaning to go to the local library and work with the Story Engine Deck/Deck of Worlds. I don't have the surface space to really spread out the cards at home. I can also bring my laptop with me and work on some prompts there.

On the other hand, I think I have research burnout. I've noticed a few times before that I've been reading mostly non-fiction lately, rather than fiction. Also been doing a lot of world building and research. So I need to take a step back and read more fiction. I have a good number of books that survived the purge of 2022 (I got rid of a lot of stuff). Since I've also noticed that most of my WIP is dialogue and not description/setting, I want to remind myself how other authors balanced the two. I'll still sit down on Sundays and continue to work on my WIP but reading more fiction than non-fiction will let my muse stew a bit.