Frugal Village Forums banner

The snowball begins

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  MandaRenee 
#1 ·
My husband and I are so excited!! We started our frugal lifestyle and at the beginning of this month, so far so good on that end. We were looking at our paychecks that are coming in at the end of this week and it just hit us that with his part time job and both of our full time jobs we are getting more this one week then we get in a month. So we are paying off one of our lower cc's this month and will be able to pay off half the balance on the next lowest cc. We are trying to tackle the ones with a lower balance so that we can see some progress and feel like we are getting somewhere. Also, we will be able to contribute funds to our BEF (which we definately need to focus on). In two weeks we will be able to put aside half the payment for our mortgage, so it won't feel like we are drowning when that comes due.

Okay, sorry for rambling on, but we are just so excited and needed to share with people who would understand.

Dawn

#2 ·
Awesome! But watch out those snowballs can get addicting...before you know it your debts are going down and your savings is going up. Then when you get an unexpected windfall you find yourself dreaming about putting it toward a debt instead of buying that latest toy....it's a sickness I tell ya!

#8 ·
Thank everyone. Frugalbabe you are so right. I have been decluttering a little at a time and my husband keeps freaking out, what if we need that, I was saving that, you'll regret it once its gone. Well, if its been in our house for 3 years, heck 2 months and I haven't looked at it twice, then we don't need it. My husband is a packrat and I am not, so it is difficult, but we muddle through it. LOL.

dawn

#3 ·
Saving and paying down debt--very very addictive!

Next thing you know you will be clipping coupons, freezing quick sale meats and plotting out a garden.

If that isn't enough you will sell all your crud you just could not live without and had to have and...gulp....not miss it or want to replace it.

Soon you will be telling perfect strangers how you totally scored on brown sugar(I did that!) at the check out line!

Then to finish you off you will be able to quote Dave Ramsey like a pro and WWdaveD will become a houshold chant.

I seeeeee dire frugal events coming in your life....:box::lalala:

#5 ·
Woot:clap:I'm thrilled for ya! I remember when we started our snowball plan....I would get my 'papers' out and run the figures about every 2 weeks. The figures were almost always the same but it felt good to 'figure' it again....:lol: Enjoy and roll on snowball....roll!

#6 ·
Snowballing and saving IS very addicting! I am a prime example. You will be even more happy when you see your savings grow and debt go down!

#11 ·
That's awesome Dawn! I must admit, it really is great to make that payment and then see how much it reflects onto your overall balance. I get such a rush of exhilaration when I pay a big chunk of money onto something. :D

#13 ·
Congrat's Dawn.

That's funny, all my debt is outlined and color coded on an Excel Spreadsheet. I can't go more than 2 days without reviewing it. I am totally obsessed. It really does work ! Last year at this time I was about 340K or more in debt and now I am down to less than 304K total debt.

#14 ·
That is really exciting. Congratulations to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.