Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Teasel Capital of the World

John Snook, the inventor of Snook's pills, is also credited with introducing Skaneateles (Skan-ee-atlas) (NY) to its most important 19th-century commodity: teasels.

Around 1835, Snook and his son, John Snook Jr., began cultivating the prickly burs, which were used to raise the nap on wool, making it soft and fuzzy. Their business took off, and local teasel producers were soon supplying woolen mills in New England and around the world.

For nearly a century, Skaneateles and nearby Marcellus were the centers of the teasel industry in the United States. The boom ended in 1930, when metal devices were invented to replace the humble teasel.

To find out more about teasels, visit The Creamery Museum, located at 28 Hannum St. in Skaneateles.

Taken from Scotsman Community Publications, Finger Lakes Vacationer 2003.

More info at this site: http://www.osv.org/education/OSVisitor/Hooked.html

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Thanks, I learned something new today !!!!!!!!!:D

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I had no idea about this. I thought they were just thistle or weeds. Thanks. This was interesting to read. :)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought they were thistles too Sara (and they are), but I had not idea they had a purpose. :)

There are lots of little tidbits of info in this free magazine I picked up, so I'll post some everyday. :D

·
27,948 Posts
Interesting.:)
Funny how names strike you sometimes.
Snooks and teasels and Scaneateles, oh my.
I'm :loop: I know.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:laugh:

We have lots of funny sounding towns in NY, don't we Darlene? :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts