Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, yes, I am posting in this quiet little corner of the village...I've been putting it off for 2 days, but I thought, I need to do it...I'm sure some others could be feeling down and don't want to say it...

I've been real down, since I saw the movie *Pay It Forward*...2 days ago...It was a great movie...but I am overly sensitive and it has just put me upsidedown...:( I know it is a postive story, but I just get too emotionally envolved when I watch movies that make you cry...and think about life...

I loved the movie, but, now I am disciplining myself to not watch anymore movies that make me cry...I just keep on thinking about it too much and too long...and get depressed.

Luckily, my dh phoned my cousin, to take me out of the house...She took me out to dinner and we talked for hours and she did everything to make me smile and laugh...I am feeling better...

Is anyone else here, very affected by books, movies or the news? So much it gets you depressed and changes your mood drastically? How do you cope? Or have you just decided to stop watching things that you know can affect you?

Thanks for listenign and sharing...:heartsm:

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I used to be so very affected by visiting my mother's grave. It would put me in a funk for days, but yes movies that make me cry alot do that for me also...

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robin...So, do you still watch those movies? Or do you still visit your mother's grave or has that improved for you, when you do?

I guess you are also a very sensitive person, Robin...It's not easy, don't you think?
:(

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Lucie, I use to be very effected by watching the news. I wouldn't get depressed per se, but it truly bothered me to see all that was going on. In fact, I'd often get angry. It pretty much don't watch or listen to the news anymore.

I cry over books and movies too, but I still watch them or read books that make me cry.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hi Lucie and Robin.

I had to totally stop watching "Touched by An Angel" after my son died. I would find myself totally sobing every week. In fact, it made dh and ds sad too. We never missed a show before that.

I don't watch sad movies anymore, at all. I also have a real aversion to gorry stuff now too.

Now we watch comedys and action movies and that's pretty much it.

I haven't gotten to go to the cemetary for 5 years now but I guess that is a good thing cause I spent too much time there. It kinda gave me a feeling that I was still checking on him. kwim?

We try our best to stay away from sad stuff but if something makes me sad, it takes a while to get over it.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, Dolphin...:( I can just see why you don't watch sad stuff anymore...I think it's better this way. You need to keep yourself happy and not try to make yourself suffer more. I guess sad movies come and reach us and touch some sensitive nerves about our lives and it's hard, sometimes...

I hope my question did not bring out too much emotions for you...I'm so sorry...I did not know about your son...How old was your son when he died? You must think of him everyday...You are a courageous mom. I'm sending you lots of hugs and good thoughts for you.:heartsm:

And, Yes, let's keep on watching movies that make us smile! We need that!:)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I have always been like this, I mean crying over anything. When I was a kid, my mom used to tell me to turn off Shirely Temple and Lassie because I would cry so much.

It is a funny thing. After my dad died in 2000, I stopped being so SAD over my mothers death. I don't know how to explain it, but it changed. I am able to go to the cemetary and even eat lunch and laugh at all the funny things that my dad did toward the end of his life. That was the only real relationship I ever had with him, healthy anyway. I don't know what that had to do with it. Sad movies still get me bad, and sometimes linger for a few days, I still watch them tho~

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robin...I used to cry alot when I was young. I've always been too sensitive, when I watched shows, movies, etc... My dad would get mad if I cried because the song was sad...I guess he thought I cried to much..lol

Losing our parents must be something hard...I still have my parents alive and I cannot even imagine when either one dies...My mom lost her parents 10 and 6 years ago...and two of her sisters took so many years to feel better...actually one of my aunt has never been herself, again...they were so close...

You must feel a sense of relief to not feel as so sad about your mom dying. How old were you when she passed away?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
She died in 1989, when I was 30, funny that is the day I grew up.
Until 2000, I dont think one week passed that I did not grieve! I cannot explain it, maybe thinking she was in death alone? I dont know, I never consciously thought that either tho.

About movies, there are times tho, when I know I can not handle a sad one. There are some I will never watch again, like Terms Of Endearment, Steel Magnolias, ther are more I just cant think of them right now.

I think being sensitive is one of my positive qualities.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mrscornbread said:
I think being sensitive is one of my positive qualities.
I think it is a good quality, Robin, that you have.:heartsm: It may be hard, sometimes, to feel all these emotions, but being sensitive is good...You seem, to be a very good listener and compassionate towards others...

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too am "overly sensitive".:) I cry at just about anything: parades, sad movies, good news, you name it. I don't like to watch movies about people dying or sad things like that. It too puts me in a funk. I've also mourned every year on my grandmother's birthday since she died except for this year. I don't know if it was turning 40 or what that stopped me, but this year (her birthday is the day after mine) I was just so thankful for having her in my life for the time that I did and was not filled with that familiar sadness of losing her.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Lucie,
This is me too. I get mad at myself for being such a cry baby. I cry whenever something touches my heart - a song, a book, anything; good or bad. I really try to not watch any tv or movies that are sad or they will set me off for days. I am the same with books. Its not just sad either, its like I absorb whatever the emotions are, sad, angry, paranoid, etc. I hate being like this but its the way I am and I can't fix it. My heart is too tender it does get me in trouble. I am gullible. I can go for days living off of the emotions in a book. I daydream and have to convince myself that its just a dream and not real. I am a nut.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I too cry over movies,books,etc. but for me it works like a therapy. I actually use it as an outlet,and feel better afterwards. I've lost both of my parents now,but my view on death allows me to find peace in their passing. I lost my mom at 18. I was way stronger then;and my dad in 2000. Other than my immediate grief I found I just felt blessed to have my dad as long as I did.
Most of my feeling and STAYING depressed comes from things in real life-my health,our money problems etc. Thats why I use TV as an outlet.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, at least I'm not alone to be so sensitive...:) Thanks everyone for sharing...:heartsm:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts