Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When taking down the Christmas decorations I look at my home environment in a different light & get the urge to clean and lighten up on my belongings. Anyone else feel like that? I'm already looking around and thinking of what I want to keep and what I really don't use/need and want to find new homes for. Who else is going to go into 2011 a bit lighter? What are you getting rid of? Me it's papers and knick knacks (aka dust catchers) mostly. I want to go room by room, no time pressures, just really look and decide if something is really wanted & needed.
You?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes I am going to do that also. I have really had alot of thoughts lately about my "stuff" and how its holding me back. Also thinking about things I truly "love" and only keeping those things. I also want my life to be filled with experiences instead of things.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
For me the urge hit as I was putting up the tree. We did a massive purge of Christmas decorations. Anything that didn't get put on the tree is getting donated!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I get that urge whenever I watch Hoarders or similar shows. I purged a LOT this year, but have a ways to go. Since I'm in the process of a divorce, and there is a good chance the house will have to be sold (community property state), I will need to purge a great deal more so I will probably start back up in January.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Once the holidays are over, I always begin purging. In with the new and out with the old. I really need to go through clothes and paperwork. I have the nicknacks down to a respectable level now but closets are another story! :)

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Yup, me too.

Although I've put my closet and cupboard and drawer purging on hold with the holidays, I am still 'purging as I go'.

I have dumped tons of Christmas stuff, and also some stuff around the house as I go. Feels FREEEEEEEEEE. :swave:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I have a few boxes still to go thru and my laundry room to get back to organized. I will do this in January so our home will be nice and orderly for the new year!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I always feel the house is bare after taking down the Christmas decorations and replacing them with what normally goes there.

I'm a bit of a minimalist anyway. Use to get me in trouble as work when I taught preschool as I didn't over decorate the room. They finally understood after they saw my house. They told me to put up more at work even if it made me uncomfortable.

Still is always seems bare to me after the decorations of Christmas are put away and everything is back to normal. I think it is just the change.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I can always throw away a boat load of crap after an episode of hoarders. I also get the urge just before it gets cold and I know I am gonna be inside for months with the kids underfoot . The kids room is next on my hitlist. With all the new Christmas stuff coming in some old stuff needs to go out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been on a big decluttering kick this past year. I'm currently working on the kitchen. One room at a time... I'll eventually get there!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've been reading a lot about minimalism. I did the project 333 challenge this fall. It is a challenge to only live with 33 items of clothing/accessories from Oct 1-Dec 31. It has been so much simpler keeping my clothing clean and organized. I would like to simplify other areas in my home in the same way.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yeah, I had to declutter earlier this year. (Grrrr, landlords!) Although I was getting to the point where I was thinking about doing it anyway. I really need to go through my closets and work on them. I have a lot of clothes that I haven't bothered with for years that should just be donated. I also have a lot of yarn that I need to get rid of as well. However, I've decided to make blankets/scarves and donate them to either a homeless shelter or a local church. Crocheting is a form of relaxation for me and I can't watch my DVD's without working on something...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
In recent months i have purged an amazing amount of STUFF!! It feels wonderful.

For me it was easier to start with my closet. I donated a whole bunch of clothes that didn't fit or i didn't like anymore.

Then my mother came for a visit in November and she helped me purge my basement and my bedroom. Two trips to goodwill with my car filled.

What i have left to do is paperwork and craft supplies.

I was in the right frame of mind to let go of stuff. Good luck to all of you. Happy Purging

Reactions: mamamia

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Yep, I've got the urge to purge. I've been purging all of 2010, slowly. I hope to get the attic loft purged in 2011. I want to turn it into a storage space for non expiration date items, like bar soap, laundry soap, dish soap, extra pots & pans, extra dishes, etc.

At this moment our attic just holds useless crap. I figure I should be making good use of the space I have and not hanging on to things that have no benefit.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Purge is my full time job now. I can't purge fast enough for DF but its not like we've got his stuff in storage waiting to come into the house. I am trying my best to purge and declutter while he's here but he hinders me at times, especially when I'm totally into it and flinging like crazy. 'Are you sure you really want to get rid of those pants?!' or 'Can you wear that to this type of place?' OY.

So between trying to keep up the 'norm' of caring for both dad and DF and cleaning/cooking/shopping etc....I'm trying to purge. Its been hell for me this past month.

So far - my closet has been done - 3 garbage bags full to be donated, furniture gone, 3 bags of just garbage - gone. I hope to get decluttering/purging big time once DF starts his new job on Jan 4/10 - even with his broken ankle...it will do us both good to have time apart. ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
i started purging this year. it is a long tedious process for me. i struggle with getting rid of things. but, i have done good. i can see improvement. it really does show. i am like a hoarder in the fact that i have to inspect everything and think it to death before i let it go. i think what really helped me this year is that i am giving it all to a woman from freecycle that is more or less housebound with her sickly mother (dementia). instead of putting every piece out front or listing things seperately i give it to her and she freecycles it. it keeps her sanity with making freecycle friends that come to her house to pick up stuff. so i feel that i am doubly helping....does that make any sense? it works for me....lol we have also become great friends :):)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
In the last few months I have purged alot, the landlord is remodeling our apartment, so the less to move around the better. Also in the new year...Hopefully in February, we will be moving to a new, bigger apartment, I would love to have as little as possible to move and have everything organized and no what I have and where it's going when the time for them move comes....so I will be purging some more over the next couple months.

·
Registered
816 Posts
We have been purging my downstairs "hoarders" style. We realized that the boxes that were there were from when we moved in 7 years ago. I know, I know. We have been going through them one by one, donating and tossing stuff. So freeing!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Every time I open my bedroom closet and hallway closet I can't help but think I need to get rid of stuff. Keep on putting it off but may tackle it while I have some time on my hands.

I get more disorganized when my closets are messy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.