Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to the conclusion that we own the worst alarm clock ever. It's always faithfully in it's time keeping, never once failed to wake us up.....It's the alarm that is the problem.

Every morning we are jarred from our sleep with the shrill cries of Ba Ba Black sheep. Not singing mind you, it's a musical version unlike any other I ever heard, sharp notes blare out of this child's clock, in just as shocking yellow, red and blue primary colors. There is no way to turn it down, no alternative alarm, like radio settings.

It was a gift for my oldest, by a Grandparent. Our oldest could not bear it any longer and somehow managed to trade our alarm clock for this awful thing.

Being frugal minded, I'm having a hard time with the idea of replacing a perfectly good alarm clock. The worst part is, it performs beautifully. I have no doubt that it will outlive me. :(

Anyone else out there have an alarm clock that they'd like to take a hammer to? Morning misery loves company ya know.

Or better yet, anyone have a relaxing alarm clock?

·
Registered
209 Posts
When I was a teenager, someone gave me this lamp/alarm clock thingy with the loudest shrill of an alarm. I would literally wake up panting, heart pounding out of my chest. I woke up each morning feeling like throwing the darn thing out of my bedroom window and like I could *really* hurt someone! haha I finally gave it away because I could no longer take it!

I think the way you are feeling each morning is enough justification for a new alarm clock. You deserve to be awakened nicely! JMHO

Good morning!

:sun:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Umm, That would go in the donation box ASAP and I would get a new clock. You can get one at walmart for less than 10.00 if you don't need anything fancy.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
904 Posts
mine was the same way for years and years. When I started working from home and making my own hours, I stopped having to use it everyday. I now only use it on special occasions when I absolutely must get up super early (I get up by 7 am naturally).

have you thought about putting a pillow or blanket over it to soften it a bit?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
It jars you awake in a manner guaranteed to not let you sleep again - and you think it's a BAD clock???

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't care how frugal i was. It would go bye bye.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
You should try mine for the hearing impaired.

First- It has an alarm that could wake the dead..and the deaf!

Second-It has a bright room altering burn your eyeballs out of the sockets flashing white light.

Third--The SHAKER--a flat round disc that goes under your pillow that SHAKES THE ENTIRE BED!

So we have the siren, the disco light, and a whole lot of shaken going on!

Luckily for me dh gets up before I do and I usually wake up on my own so I don't have to use it except the few times he is out of town.

It isn't easy to be hearing impaired lol!

·
19,119 Posts
Good luck with that one Polly - definitely think it should be replaced for the colors alone if nothing else!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know that I'm not alone in the heart pounding alarm that shocks you out of sleep.

We used to have an alarm clock that I brought with me into marriage. It was state of the art in it's day, dual alarm, radio or a beeping sound alarm. It was before digital and the numbers flipped like rolodex cards. *laughing* reminded me of those old star track episodes, their numbers flipped like that. It was a great alarm clock, I'd still have it had it not died. I tend to keep things until they die, always have.

After it died I bought us this wonderful alarm clock. No alarm, at least not in the traditional way. It was bird calls. Living in the country it just seemed like you were waking up with the birds singing. It was a very natural, relaxing way to wake. My youngest weaseled it out of me for his log cabin room make over. It took him less then a month to break it :angry:

So now we have this alarm, which by the way would be perfect for the person who would sleep through a sonic boom. Perfect for the heavy drinker. If I only I knew someone who needed such a horrid clock to wake, I'd gladly (guilt free) give this gem up. As it is, my frugal roots dictate that I hang on till that day.

Oh Ba Ba Black Sheep alarm clock, I await your death with bated breath.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
:lol3: Polly!!! You had me giggling from the moment I read the title of your thread! Then as I was reading it I was really laughing!!! It MUST go! And you and I are alike in that we keep things until they D-I-E die! :laugh: But, this time I think is worth the splurge to get a new relaxing one, that doesn't drive you crazy. Maybe with some Christmas gift money? Worth every cent! (I know, I know, this from the girl with the 22 year old refrigerator on its last breath! :laugh:)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FF- yep, I know that fridge. I have an old fridge in my garage that is mustard yellow. Remember when that color was the height of fashion for kitchen appliances? LOL! It works, with some issues, but it works. We don't plan on replacing it until the day it dies.

At this point replacing the clock is not on the needs list, just on the annoying one. LOL! Just needed to vent a bit about this clock. I'm actually surprised that DH has never complained about this clock. However, that may explain his surly morning mood...Hmmmm...Something to think about.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When DH and I were dating, it was a family joke that there wasn't an alarm clock made that could wake him up. I found this adorable, rock star looking chicken that would blare every morning "Heeeey yeeeeaaahh, hey baby wake up, come and dance with meeeeee!" Sure enough, it did the trick

for about a week.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Paula, Does he still need the alarm clock?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Paula, Does he still need the alarm clock?
I'm not sure of what even happened to that clock. I have a sneaking suspicion that it found it's way into the trash.

DH uses his iPod as his alarm these days. Now, he is treated to Joan Jett singing I Love Rock and Roll and his wife elbowing him and saying "Will you turn that %$&#%# thing off!"

·
Registered
742 Posts
One of my roommates in college had an alarm clock that was a bucking bronco. That thing was very loud and she had to be up at 3:30 am every morning. It made a yipping and galloping sounds. The worst part of it was that it had to do a whole cycle before it could be turned off. I hated that thing.
I have to be careful with alarm clocks. Mine have to be gentle awake or set on a low volume. The loud buzzing give me a migraine.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i had one of those, along with my dorothy hamill haircut.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.