Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have any wrapping paper savers out there? I am guessing we do.

This is a fun little challenge to make something crafty with some of the wrapping paper you have saved.

I will be trying out some wrapping paper origami with some of the paper I saved from presents.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nope. No saving here. The kids are a little to rough on the opening. But that is okay right now. Maybe start showing them how to open it nicer in a year or two.

I do like the idea of origami with the wrapping paper. My husband makes a nice origami dragon.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hubby & I just had a discussion about this. Seems his grandma made them save the paper, so they had to be very careful when unwrapping. This year, I saved a few pieces of tissue & some really cool metallic like silver tissue paper. I did save several gift bags.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I remember my mother doing this when I was growing up! However, I use everything from wallpaper to fabric to wrap gifts now! Sometimes I do use the $1.00 decorative bags from the dollar store. I know its more than I would want to spend, but sometimes it saves my hands!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought there would be more paper savers here.

My mom used to save wrapping paper, but I am not sure if she ever did anything with it.

It is not just about money to me. I like working with trash and recycled stuff. I am a little strange.;)

I made a few stars and I will be trying other origami later.

I also punched out a few things with decorate punches I plan to do something with.

I will try to post pictures later this week.

·
19,119 Posts
Love pictures and this idea! I have lots of big rolls of lovely wrapping paper from a friend who was moving. Have been using it over the years for much more than wrapping paper - many crafting projects. Tonight I will be wrapping boxes for storage of Christmas crafts and materials for next year - will look great on the shelves and make it all so easy to find! Shall post pictures as I go!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know this thread is several years old, but its ironic because I was JUST thinking about this idea over the past few days, lol.

I am not generally a paper saver, but this year, as I was wrapping presents, I ended up with some pretty sizable scrap pieces of some really pretty paper. The scraps weren't big enough to actually wrap ANYTHING with, even the smallest of gifts, but they were too big to just throw out. So, I saved a few pieces in a file folder with the intent to make Pocket Letters and homemade Christmas card embellishments with them next year. If I don't use them by next December, then I plan on tossing them.

Now gift bags and tissue paper...I will always save those, lol. I don't think we've bought a new birthday gift bag in 3+ years.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When wrapping i save the small bits and wrap the dog toys in it. the other few gifts that dont leave w/ the paper are prob. not even wrapped. My "kids" are in the mid 20's need $$. I ended up handing DH clothes before Christmas and the snowblower was needed ASAP

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I saved a few small pieces of paper and the holiday cards and will be using them to make gift tags for next year. There's some examples on this blog: December | 2015 | Stamping With Karen Just made with paper, card stock, stickers and a few bits of string or ribbon. Page down for more examples, including a gift bag. You can also use small leftover pieces to make envelopes for gift cards. There are a lot of free envelope templates online.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
You could "wrap" shoeboxes and other boxes to use for storage. Now they sell "fancy" storage boxes. Shelf liner paper would also be fun. Or use pieces when stacking china to prevent chipping, probably multiple layers required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts