Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In honor of my favorite holiday season, starting today and ending on Halloween, I've made it a goal to expand my knowledge of paranormal literature and film! I'll be watching at least 30 new-to-me scary movies and/or documentaries...and reading at least 10 paranormal non-fiction books. The book part won't be too much of a stray from my normal, non-goal life, but I thought it'd be fun to track how many I can get done between here and Halloween.

To start off:

MOVIES
1. Alone in the Dark--Sept. 22

BOOKS

1. White Things: West Virginia's Weird White Monsters--Sept. 22
2. The Life and Times of a Paranormal Investigator--Sept. 22

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Good luck to you and it sounds interesting. I couldn't do it though. Nightmares probably!!! :D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I love scary movies. Unfortunately I have watched so many they don't really scare me anymore. Good Luck on your goals.

T

·
0 Posts
I did this a few years ago. May I recommend Phantasm. I don't believe I had never seen it when I was younger!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe, I've seen Phantasm...and a whole lot of others, lol. Luckily, there's enough out there to at least provide me with choice, although I'm watching a lot of stuff on FearNet which, uh...could be better.

So far movie wise, the first one was wretched and I didn't even finish it because I fell asleep. My second movie was Seance, which kept my attention up til the end. Some weird plot holes, but it had a ghost theme, which I liked.

Book-wise, I enjoyed my selections thus far, although one in particular was MUCH better and more professionally written than the other hehe.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
This sounds fun, I'll be checking in to see what selections you choose. Have you ever read "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King? The book is much better than the movie, as books usually are.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds fun, I'll be checking in to see what selections you choose. Have you ever read "Salem's Lot" by Stephen King? The book is much better than the movie, as books usually are.
I went through a big Stephen King phase in high school, but I can't remember if I read this one or just simply watched the movie, lol. I probably didn't read it, though. I love King's books...I really do. However, after reading hundreds of pages of an excellent story, I'm always disappointed by the endings. It's like he realizes he needs to end it...and end it quickly, lol. I tend to enjoy his short stories more because they don't seem to have that same slapped together ending format.

Anyway, progress so far:

MOVIES
1. Alone in the Dark, again, completely forgettable.
2. Seance...liked
3. The Men Who Stare at Goats--LOVED this one. Not really a scary movie, but since the whole thing has a paranormal theme, I'm counting it!
4. Horror Hotel-by far the best movie I've watched so far. I love the old black and white Public Domain movies, lol. The ending was a bit off, but it was enjoyable and creepy throughout.

BOOKS
1. White Things
2. Life and Times of a Paranormal Investigator
3. Haunted Cemeteries
4. The Uninvited: The True Story of the Union Screaming House
5. Monsters, Caught on Film

I may add in some horror fiction, just to spice things up a lil'. I picked non-fiction since I have so many on my TBR pile, and I do book reviews for paranormal non-fiction, but I want to be really creeped out...I think I need some Lovecraft and some King if I can find the time!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I read Haunted Michigan and the second Haunted Michigan. Those were written by a minister who lives here who investigated in his free time. Nothing is scarier to me than true stories.

Ghost Hunters and other shows like that I find kind of boring. What I do LOVE to watch are the shows called MY Ghost Story and Celebrity Ghost Stories. I also found some good stuff to watch on HULU -- paranormal channel. When I see video of things moving around by themselves and such.. I get freaked.

It's that time of year for someone to start a ghost story thread, too (hint hint!!) and who better to start than YOU, TheresaRHPS, since you seem to have some insight and experience..?

Then I wonder why I am up all night! :tied:

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
A really oldie-but-goodie scary movie is The Uninvited with Ray Milland (made in the 1940s, I think). It's a ghost story, very low-key but very creepy.

The Night of the Hunter is a psychological thriller. I have been able to watch it only once cause it freaked me out. It stars Robert Mitchum. DON'T watch the remade version with Richard Chamberlain.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's crunch time and I'm slacking...too much other stuff to do! Hehehe, here's an update in bold:

MOVIES
1. Alone in the Dark, again, completely forgettable.
2. Seance...liked
3. The Men Who Stare at Goats--LOVED this one. Not really a scary movie, but since the whole thing has a paranormal theme, I'm counting it!
4. Horror Hotel-by far the best movie I've watched so far. I love the old black and white Public Domain movies, lol. The ending was a bit off, but it was enjoyable and creepy throughout.
5. Cabin Fever 2, horribly disgusting
6. Days of Darkness, a slightly new slant on a classic zombie film
7. 2001 Maniacs
8. Resurrection Mary
9. Bloodlines-The Dracula Family Tree (documentary, pretty interesting and one I haven't seen!)

BOOKS
1. White Things
2. Life and Times of a Paranormal Investigator
3. Haunted Cemeteries
4. The Uninvited: The True Story of the Union Screaming House
5. Monsters, Caught on Film
6. Grave Humor
7. Haunted Virginia Beach
8. The Ghost Hunter's Survival Guide
9. The Everything Ghost Hunting Book

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished another book last night:

Going Mutant: Bat Boy Exposed

So...that means I've met my book goal, but have fallen horribly short on the movie side, lol. I get off at 5pm, though, and plan on using my last hours of Halloween to my full advantage.

I've actually watched a lot more TV/movies than I normally do, but I can't seem to actually FINISH anything, lol. I either fall asleep, get bored, or want to watch something completely different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts