Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the Thimblelady on YouTube and was very curious about her way of hand quilting. Does anyone here have experience with this and/or her thimble?

I love to hand quilt but it really takes me forever and it's a little painful. I want to try this method, but it is a little pricey.

If you haven't heard of her, you can check out her website at quilting innovation | hand quilting at its best

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
Never seen it before, but it looks interesting. The special thimble lets you hold the long needle while you rock it back and forth to make stitches. I notice she also uses super-thin batting in that video.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
9,638 Posts
It's similar, but in the ThimbleLady method you do not feel the tip of the needle coming through at all. If you watch her rock the needle she catches it on her thumb as it comes out. This creates a callus/rough spot. ThimbleLady does not use a frame, and folds the quilt as she makes stitches and the point of the needle never touches either hand.

If you search for ThimbleLady on youtube you can find the demo video.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It's similar, but in the ThimbleLady method you do not feel the tip of the needle coming through at all. If you watch her rock the needle she catches it on her thumb as it comes out. This creates a callus/rough spot. ThimbleLady does not use a frame, and folds the quilt as she makes stitches and the point of the needle never touches either hand.

If you search for ThimbleLady on youtube you can find the demo video.
I Youtubed her videos before I posted I thought the one I posted looked similar. I quilted with the rock method when I was a teen and did not touch the pointy end of the needle. I did prefer to not use a frame most of the time. Seems one could do her method with out buying her thimble and needle.

I also saw a video for the frame that ThimbleLady sells. It looked interesting.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think her thimble has deeper grooves where the needle will stay better, from what I understand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts