Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its interesting to watch our special kids and see all the things they do that, quote, "normal" kids do.

They eat, sleep, smile, laugh, talk, play and yet they do so many things other kids don't do. Some don't talk, some bang their heads, some are in wheelchairs, some are blind, some swear, the list goes on.

BUT today Michael did something all normal kids do that I never, ever thought he would do. He watches his big brother so much and follows him around.

Today, he took the steps (going upstairs) two at a time. He has Down syndrome and his legs are so short and it was so funny to watch, BUT he made it all the way to the top, two at a time.

Do your special kids do things that "normal" kids do that you'd never thought they'd do?

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
WTG Michael!!!:smball: I don't have a special needs child but I'm a former special education teacher and have several wonderful friends with special needs. I love to celebrate their victories with them!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Good for you Michael:fdance: :bolt: Keep Stepping Michael.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
WTG Michael. :)
Zachary does most things that neurologically typical children do, but he does some things that they don't. I'm thankful that the gap between what he does the same and what he doesn't is not a large one.

The hardest is taking him in public. His behavior is so unpredictable and is becoming more unacceptable socially as he gets older.

To pinpoint something he does do...I guess I'd choose talking. He has a severe speech impairment and has just started gaining speech. I'm so very proud of him. I know how difficult speech is for him, so each word is a big deal. (now if only I didn't have to hear some of them 20 times in a row. ) LOL I'm always saying Zachary....saying it just once is enough. ;)

Zachary was a bit delayed in his gross motor "stepping". He was a single stepper for a long time and only recently mastered both foot stepping on stairs. Jumping is also something he recently mastered. (now he's a jumping maniac)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
:fdance: WTG Michael and Zachary! :fdance:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts