Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy says asks why people who are in debt would even consider donating their money to others in need:

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/b/e/benichou//Think_Before_Donating.html

I think his post is way off base. Financially it makes sense, but we are still humans with hearts. Having credit card debt wouldn't stop me from still making a, admittedly meager, donation to an important cause. There are always people worse off and causes that need to be supported NOW. (Though I don't agree with required church tithe amounts either.)

Plus he acts as though he'll reach a definite point where he'll be stable. No one ever knows when it could all go to hell, even if your current circumstances are great. That shouldn't stop you from giving if you so choose.

Again, I think he's lost sight of the human spirit in this post.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I agree with you.
WOW! I have never heard of a church requiring a 10% tithe!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I found it interesting that he asks people to donate to his website, after an article like that.

I've been in debt for years, and still contribute to individuals and organizations. That includes my church, though not at 10%. My church does not even suggest a percentage, but focusses on the idea that "the Lord loves a happy giver". Incidentally, most churches do help people who need help with the rent or a utility bill or medical bill and they do not expect to be repaid when they do. No, they cannot just free everyone from all financial concerns, but they are willing to step in with emergency funds.

I also support NPR, and would hate it if they went off the air waiting for me to get out of debt!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am as poor as they come( although not in debt) and I still give to the homeless and I still donate to many organizations such as disability organizations as well as the international fellowship of christians and jews and several other ones.
I just feel it is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I too am pretty poor but manage to pay everything on time and not have any debt besides our mortgage, I also dont agree with this man at all and there is no way I could afford to tithe the church 10%, I wish I could but I feel my donations to the salvation army justify my tithe and my other charitable donations to other organizations are worth more to others as much as the gratification it brings me and my family.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Tracy brings up a great point. There are so many more ways to give than just monetarily. Donations to Salvation Army, volunteering your time, etc...I don't believe being in debt would have any effects on these other means...

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I read his little thing.......... He is all about I,me,my.......... I have no money but I still give to worthy cause mind you its not much. But I am happy I do. Yes some churches help out people. pay their rent get them food. So I don't know where he lives...... but then he most likely doesn't go to church so how would he know.......... I think he must be a very unhappy person.
Fern

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I haven't donated money in quite some time, but I do donate to Goodwill quite often. I also donate my time by volunteering :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
My gut reaction to his article was that he apparently is not a person of any faith. Most people who belong to a faith, be it Christian or otherwise, feel it is their duty to help others as they are able. He also apparently doesn't believe that if he gave to help others now, if he was ever in need of help, there would be someone there to help him. That's a sad and pessimistic way to live life, IMO!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My gut reaction to his article was that he apparently is not a person of any faith. Most people who belong to a faith, be it Christian or otherwise, feel it is their duty to help others as they are able. He also apparently doesn't believe that if he gave to help others now, if he was ever in need of help, there would be someone there to help him. That's a sad and pessimistic way to live life, IMO!
I agree with the second part of your post, but faith doesn't factor in to me. I'm an atheist, but still out to help others.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have to disagree with the guy. In the Bible, the word "tithe" means 10%. Although it is not a "requirement" of our church, we still tithe 10% of EVERY dollar than comes into this house(even when dh was unemployed last year), and recently have been adding another $5 every paycheck for missions. Dh is lucky to make $36,000 a year, and yet all 10 children & ourselves have never once been without what we needed. We also go through our house every 3-4 months to declutter..we give whatever we do not need to someone who does...I also knit & crochet for an Appalachian project(it gets very cold there). It just sounds to me that this guy must be a very selfish person...I have to ask a question....when is ANYONE ever rich enough to give???Some people(not all) when they have money,they think that they need more & more and are never satisfied...therefore, they believe that they are not "rich enough".(no offense intended)
It all boils down to priorities...what matters most of all.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I responded to this before but I told my DH about the article this man wrote and he said this guy has nerve to ask for a donation with an article like that. I agree and unlike those who tithe 10% I cannot afford to that is why I declutter and donate unused things here at home to make up for the 10% but in the long run my tithe equals to much more than 10%. I am not a regular church goer either so I feel I do my good deeds but helping/donating to others less fortunate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts