Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as the weather gets colder, I always become more crafty. Don't know why, but it happens every year. Maybe it's the nesting instinct or something. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm thinking about making a small quilt for dd's bed. Not to cover the whole bed, just to cover her little body. I don't have a sewing machine (had one, couldn't figure the darn thing out, sold it) so I'd do all the sewing by hand. I'm wondering if this might be too ambitious for my first project.

Any advice???

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
You can save yourself a lot of work and use large squares, or just two big pieces of fabric for the top and bottom. Unless you have a LOT of time on your hands I wouldn't suggest doing any kind of complicated block piecing. You can use a piece of fleece for the batting, or use fleece for the back, piece the top with fun prints, and not need a batting. Then tie the layers together every couple of inches with colored crochet thread. Something like that you could do in a few days or less.

Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
If DD has an American Girl doll, you can try one of these as a practice and make her a matching one.

The patterns are simple (excluding Samanatha and Nellie's).

American Girl Quilts

Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Amy I agree with the rest. Start with a simple pattern. It will take longer to do being as you aren't using a sewing machine. Good luck.

If you need any help, just ask.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think those of us that are crafty do it a lot more in the winter. In the summer there are lots of things to take us outside, but during the dark, cold days of winter we're all cooped up inside looking for things to do. And quilting is a great choice!

One of the first quilts I did, although not by hand, was a nine patch. And to make it easier on myself and make sure I finished it, I placed a solid block in between each nine patch, then alternated the blocks for the next row and on down . (does that make sense?) I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture....

I used an old blanket in place of the batting, and a solid fabric for the backing. I originally tied it, but a few years later as I got better at quilting I actually took it apart - made it bigger! - and did real quilting on it. I had made it for my dh for christmas probably 16-17 years ago, and he still uses it faithfully today. It's one of his favorites.

The nine patch is a very easy block to do, however, anything by hand will take longer as you know. But quilting truists will love you!!! (Truists is my own made up word for those that think quilting should by done completely by hand :) )

Whatever you do enjoy the process. It's a lot of fun :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks - it's a favorite around here. And welcome back! I've often wondered about you when I come on here, and what you are up to these days. Glad to see you hanging around again :)

AmyBoz - I should also mention that flannel backed quilts are quickly becoming another family favorite. Very snuggly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts