Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 'the day' (my time of raising kids, and keeping a house, and in the earlier years--working as a nurse) I was frantically busy. Weren't we all? I taxied kids (not just my own) and cleaned and cooked and picked kids up and dropped them off, and went to ENDLESS sporting events of my boys, took them to hockey practice at 10pm!, music lessons, school volunteered to the MAX, had kids in my pool all summer, and was cocoa and cookie mom on snow days all winter. My dh had his own business and I did EVERYTHING around here. :thud:

Now that I'm 53 and a SAHW and dh is retired, and kids are grown, I find myself conflicted between what I SHOULD be doing and what I WANT to do. I WANT to read and knit and quilt and take walks (casual strolls, not speed walks anymore, LOL!) and take life S-L-O-W-E-R. In short, I wanna RELAX after all of that

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops, I didn't finish! LOL!! :invisible

.......after all of those crazy years!

Yet I see some folks going through their 'well, now I am done raising the kids, I am going to accomplish THIS and THAT, and......they are just so darned ambitious! I mean things like going out and getting a degree or higher degree, getting a new career, working for charities.....

Makes me feel so lazy and goal-less. I feel like raising my kids WAS my purpose in life, and that I deserve a rest--a break! To do all of the things I never had time to do.

I DO take care part-time of my elderly father (clean and cook for hims some) and have PLENTY to do around here--have been organizing and de-cluttering. :dishes: But I have no desire to re-invent myself right now, or 'get busy'. :bs2:

Anyone else feel like this? :dopey:

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Well I'm 46 but I still have a teen at home (he is 14) so I am still busy that way. I am really looking forward to the day when I can just sit and read or putt around the house without someone wanting or needing something! Dh and I have talked a lot about what we are going to do when the kids are all out of the house but we haven't really made any big plans.

I agree with you, I feel like raising my kids has been my purpose and I am looking forward to taking a break and just taking time for me!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey Cab54, we have the same life!!!

I feel just like you do...however, I have a sister who is 5 years older than me who is on a mission to do everything and anything just to keep her life busy and *full*. She went back to school, works full time, goes to the gym, runs marathons, travels all over....and constantly tells me how boring my life is!
I am what I am. I'm happy. I like my life and the slower pace and time with dh. I don't need *excitement*, or to prove how great I can become. I am 49, she is 54...sometimes I can't believe we are even related.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stinkbug, see I was the oldest sister, but I fit SOOOO much into the child-rearing years, that I am SPENT. I have no desire to 'get it all in before I die'. I just want PEACE.

Besides taking care of my dad, DH is diabetic and practically disabled, so I have my hands more full than I EVER expected at this time of life-----already. :jug:

My mom has me help her with a little deep cleaning in the summer (she's not married to dad) and dh's parents are sick---anywho, I feel like my hands (and time) are full ENOUGH.

Any time I have left over, I wish I could NOT feel guilty because I'm not 'saving the world' (or something) with my spare time.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Anyone else feel like this? :dopey:
:wave2:
I feel so guilty sometimes and just like you feel that I
should be doing something more or what other people
would consider achieving more. Well...I have achieved
most of what I wanted to do. Be a good wife, good
mother, friend, daughter, sister and created a wonderful
home.

There have been times in my life where I worked two jobs,
ran my house, cooked, carpooled and on and on.

This is my time. And unless something unfortunate
happens, I'm going to enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I've always stayed busy, it seems. When I retired from teaching a year ago, I thought that I would snuggle down with some good books and relax. That hasn't happened! And it's just as well. My personality has always been to just stay busy.

My sister is younger than I am, and she is type that does just relax. We are different, but that doesn't make one bad and one good. It's just the way we are.

So..... I would say if you feel like relaxing now, then by all means do so. And later if you have a mission to accomplish, then do it.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I have a little bit of both. My life was like your's only I (for the most part) didn't have an outside job. All of my friends did, all of the kids classmates moms did so I was the class mom for 3 kids. Anyway, I also would like to have more time to putter around, read, relax, etc... but it seems that I'm always on the go. Gripey likes to take little trips (and I do too) so when he comes home and says let's go to so & so....I pack up and we're outta here. My dad lives in the same small town as us and since my mom died over a year ago, I've spent a goodly amount of time with/doing for him. In little bites it seems my time just gets away.....:lol:

I'm not feeling conflicted, won't let myself. This is my life. Mine. I'm gonna make the very best out of everyday, whether it's by sitting and reading all day or running off with Gripey. Don't let your sister or anyone guilt you on your choices. Enjoy your days. :hugs2:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
well I am retired!I`m 52 and have been retired 4 yrs. retired early because of health problem`s. I use to feel quilty some time. But not anymore! I raise 2 dgs and dh and dm . so I do as I please, I`ve earned it.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the thing. Like Prairie and cissylu, I take care of my dad (not in my home, but I clean for him and do some cooking for him) and DH is not all that well. His diabetes is taking him down fast as far as health issues. HE needs a lot of attention, also.

We've had MIL's dog now for months and our dog too. They have learned how to play us for attention and treats and yada-yada. They tag team us, LOL! I should say ME because DH often isn't feeling well and I do everything. Throw into the mix a few other aging parents and responsibilities and I'm TIRED! :hmmm:

I feel like what little time is left over for me should be MINE. But seems like everyone has me hopping and jumping from the time I get out of bed, till I fall back INTO it.

I guess this is more of a rant thread, than a what should I do thread, LOL! :screwy: I guess I'm wishing I weren't so encumbered, so I COULD do what I wanted to all these years. Ah, well. Everyone is so used to me just picking up the slack, doing what THEY can't or won't do, BEING there for all of them............argh. :bag:

I guess the CONFLICT here is that my life is not my own. At all. I can't decide whether to just accept that for now, or be resentful. Sigh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi. I'm new here.

My name is Kim, I live in Phoenix, and I'm 44 years old.

Anyway, I still have a teenager at home, and I also look forward to the day that I am not taxiing her everywhere. I'm dreading/looking forward to her getting a driver's license.

I am actually tired of all of this. (parenting responsibilities) LOL. I'm ready to be free of the "lemme see what my dd has that weekend, and I will let you know" lifestyle.

So. That's my conflict.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Welcome, Kim!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome, Kim! I can relate. BTDT. I miss my kids more every day, but I DON'T miss the taxi-ing and all of their friends in the house constantly making a mess. :lol:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I feel conflicted some of the time, between doing what I would like to do and doing for others. But, I am getting a whole lot better at saying no :D which in my opinion is a good thing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
well I am retired!I`m 52 and have been retired 4 yrs. retired early because of health problem`s. I use to feel quilty some time. But not anymore! I raise 2 dgs and dh and dm . so I do as I please, I`ve earned it.
I'm not retird yet but my sons ( they still live a home) and daughter are grow. I do as I please. I relax when not working , I can shop, travel etc. when I want to. I'm enjoying the time I can .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Married? Yes
How long? 24 years
Children? Yes
How many & how old are they? 3 2 son and daughter
Grandchildren? 2 grandsons
Working or retired? working
What state do you live in? GA
Pets? 3 What kind? 2>dogs & 1>cat
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Favorite Season(s): Summer . Love hot weather

I been marriage for 24 years but separate for over 10 years. Never divorce . Have my reason for not divorce which I will not state on a public format .

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Well, after reading you ladies lives I am just plain blessed!!
First of all I have no children and my siblings are all healthy so they take care of all of the nieces and nephews so no child responsiblities. Both of my parents are alive and healthy. I am single, still working full time and healthy. Life is good and low stress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't wait to retire! I love puttering around and if I feel guilty then I am happy to feel that guilt. Seriously though, many of the older people I know seem to have become unpaid baby sitters/child minders for their own childrens' children.

They say they have less time to themselves than when they were working.

Here is an example, a friend of mine had a call from her daughter to ask her to take her two kids as she had a migraine. She and her husband went round, only to find the daughter's husband (the kid's biological dad) packing up his sports stuff to go to the gym!!!!

How crazy was that??? The couple are divorced now, but the grand parents still are running to and fro picking up these kids from various places so Mum can work (part time) and REST!!!!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I still have a 16 yr old at home who is BUSY. Then there is the 19 yr old college kid whose home for the summer. Then there is the fact that dh is in the ARMY which makes me an ARMY wife and theres always something going on with that. Relax??/ Whats that?

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
cab54 I've come back across this thread and just wanted to add, after reading your reply and remark about feeling encumbered...... . I lost my mom about a year and 1/2 ago and since then I feel very responsible for my dad. He lives in his own home here in town but I do feel very responsible for him. I understand where you're coming from. This is my take on it......I do all that I can to help him out. I cook some for him (he's able to do a lot of his own), I pay his bills, take care of his bank statement, take him with me when I go into town quite often, have him over a lot, etc.....but I also do for me and Gripey as well. When I'm taking care of dad I do that....when I'm doing what we want, I do that sort of zen....if you know what I mean. I'm not going to spend my life feeling guilty over all that I haven't done in life (which is plenty let me tell ya....I mean who can do it ALL?). Do what you can, make the most of your days........life is wonderful, live each day as if it's a gift. :hugz:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts