Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

So I was hoping to join here and be able to interact with community members and have a sense of the class interaction I can't have because doing the home study FPU course.

Today, I went to reply to a post of a member and found out I have to have 10 posts to be able to participate. I find that limitation choking any interaction in my instance anyway.

I know I am new and a guest, just giving my input. Good Luck to you all.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Just awnswe all of our posts and you are almost half way there!

Keep going, you will get there before youknow it!

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
It's too bad this rule drove away a legitimate potential member, and yet people who want to promote their website or MLM or whatever seem to have no trouble doing it on their first post. I report them all the time (I tend to be on in the early morning, I think they sneak it on overnight).

There is one that is still on, even after I reported it.
http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/coupons/215817-iherb-com.html

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
It's too bad this rule drove away a legitimate potential member,
On the other hand, if you're going to make it through FPU you need to learn to not give up at the first tiny hurdle.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
:yeah:

Having a minimum number of posts isn't an unusual rule for online forums. It does help cut down on spam posts.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I thought the minimum post rule was for links, not replies. Why would OP be getting denied his ability to make a reply?

Either way, it isn't that hard to get past 10 posts, and following FPU is going to take a lot more tenacity than is being presented here.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
This forum and community is PACKED with great information. Leaving over this matter is not a good idea when you can benefit with little effort on your part.

·
Registered
895 Posts
While FPU is not going to be easy, I hope this is not a strictly Dave Ramsey Forum or only for the people in it 100%. Sometimes people take a longer time and more baby steps/getting up and down. I know we never had the easiest reputation, but if we are thinking it is ok to drive away someone who is genuinely interested because he didn't like the 10 posts rule, then I don't think I want to be part of this forum anymore.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
While FPU is not going to be easy, I hope this is not a strictly Dave Ramsey Forum or only for the people in it 100%. Sometimes people take a longer time and more baby steps/getting up and down. I know we never had the easiest reputation, but if we are thinking it is ok to drive away someone who is genuinely interested because he didn't like the 10 posts rule, then I don't think I want to be part of this forum anymore.
No, its all over the Village and has always been that way. It is not about the Dave Ramsey forum, but all of them.

We all fell under the rule. All it is there for is to stop spammers from ruining the site.

He makes 8 more threads and he is open to all discussions.

We aren't driving anyone out, he is just leaving.

You too were under the 10 post rule and it must not have been any issue for you if you didn't even notice it.

I have been here for 10 years, this group is the BEST.

I feel I can say this to you because we are friends and we help each other!

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
There is nothing stopping newcomers from participating.

The 10 post rule prevents them from immediately posting links or images. It is spam prevention. Someone who really wanted to be here could overcome that in a couple of days with minimal effort.

I understand that the OP wanted to jump right in and was disappointed. I urge him to not be discouraged by the little things. Getting through FPU and finding financial security is going to be lots tougher than a new member waiting period.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I really dont see what the issue is honestly. 10 posts is a breeze and I'm pretty sure i did it the first time i was on. Everytime you join anything there is some criterion to satisfy. And no one is driving anyone away.lol If this procedure keeps out scammers,trolls and lazy people who just come on to be annoying out of amusement or boredom then please leave it.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
sounds like he wanted to reply to a post but could not. Can you not reply to a post before a certain number of posts?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Apparently things have changed. People are saying they can't reply without starting 10 threads first. Which seems backwards and a way to completely fill this place up with spam. I can understand not being able to start threads without 10 replies first, maybe outside of the site help section. But forcing people to start up 10 threads just to start posting replies that don't have links? Ridiculous. That definitely wasn't how it was when I started, since I doubt I've even made 5 threads in the 6 years I've been here.

·
Registered
921 Posts
None of this was even on my radar when i started posting. I followed the rules and all was well. I have only started seeing this type of complaint in the last couple weeks. It must be a new breed of forum poster. This forum has the nicest people and never a problem so I hope we wont see a change over to complaining about every little thing.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
It is not a new breed of form poster early bird, it was a new set of rules. I too followed the rules when I first joined in 2006 and was able to reply to threads. I don't think I have ever posted a link......I don't even know how. I didn't really pay attention to the complaints of the new people until It happened to me. I had to start a new account and it is really hard to come up with 10 threads to start. I could not come up with anything new,,,,,everything I thought of I had seen over the last 10 years. So yes I was complaining and it was mostly just to get my 10 post ( threads started)in. I didn't like doing it because I figured it was just irritating to everyone else to read but what do you do? Until I stated 10 threads I could not reply to anything. It sounds like it has been changed now.

Side note.....I did see a new member starting random threads last night, I think 3 and on all 3 were all his info for his "free" whatever it was
he was trying to push.......looked like a spammer to me!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts