Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a towel question for you ladies. Okay, we've had our bathroom towels for 5 years now. They are just fine. However...(this is really weird and a bit embarassing) the towels that I use REEK after one use. They are the most foul smelling things ever. Dh's towel smells just fine. Dh has even sniffed me all over to see if I smell, but I don't. His towels do not smell...just mine. Do you think I have some weird chemical-y thing going on and interacting with the towel? We use the same soap and shampoo. There is absolutlely nothing different except for the person using the towel. It doesn't smell immediately after I use it, either...within a few hours it starts to smell. We even hang out towels in the same place to dry. The only thing we can think of is that maybe it is because I wrap my hair up in my towel for a few minutes while I get dressed, that maybe it is the conditioner interacting with the towel, but the conditioner is all rinsed out before I get out of the shower. I just don't know! We are at our wits end because I wind up having to use a new towel every day, which I do NOT enjoy because of the extra wash it encourages. So, do you ladies have ANY thoughts on this, because I am about to go spend a chunk of change on some new towels if this doesn't stop!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Hmmm seems very strange. It has to be some sort of chemical reaction, what else could exp[lain it if everything else remains the same?? Dont worry Amy, I believe you smell perfectly great!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
i think it's a reaction too. have you tried a different conditioner?? does your hubby use conditioner? if not, that has to be it!!;) i would switch the conditioner before the towels!!:D

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I agree with the ladies. Also do you use a softener in your wash, liquid or sheet? It could be reacting with that. I don't use softener on my towels, they will absorb water better and line dry them whenever I can and I do use conditioner on my hair (all different brands) and they never smell after.

I agree with Misty, I would try a couple of different things like new brand of conditioner or no softener before I put out the money for new towels.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would check your towel bar, if it is wooden then the finish may have worn off and it is now molding, or if it is metal then it may be tarnished and is putting off a foul metal smell. Could be just your towel bar that has worn off it's finish and your dh's is still ok. One of our towel bars is molded while all the others are still ok, I'm planning to replace all of them sometime soon, mold, ick!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Can you switch towels with your hubby for a week or so (even though it might mean he has to use a girly looking towel - who will ever know)? I would try switching towels and just see if the smell happens again, if so, get some new conditioner and give that a try. Hope something works for you.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
You have gotten some good advice here, the only thing I might add is are you sure your towels are rinsed good? My towels will hold the soap like crazy, I know this sounds dumb but I can't use more than a tablespoon of soap for a full batch of towels or they need to be "washed" again just to get the soap out...maybe try 1/2 cup vinegar in your rinse for the towels.
Other than that...I'd try changing conditioners..

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
maybe the soap and the conditioner together......

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you wrap your hair up in the towel, your towel may get more saturated than his. You know how if you hang clothes out to dry and it's really humid outside- your clothes not only take forever to dry, but they get a smell to them? The same could be happening with your towels, since the bathroom is naturally a humid environment to begin with. Try hanging it on the back of your closet door to see if that helps.

Laura

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I think we conquered the problem. Dh always uses the towel rack and I always hang mine on the hook on the back of the bathroom door. This week, I tried hanging it up on the bar on the shower door. That worked! I've been using the same towel for a few days and it (and I) still smell fresh and rosy! Thanks for all the advice, ladies!

·
27,948 Posts
:clap: Good detective work Amy.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts