~ two baby tubs
~ two baby tub chairs
~ a dozen bottles
~ two baby gyms
~ a sit-up-entertainment-center-thing
~ a pack-n-play
~ numerous amounts of clothes
~ 4 baby sling/carriers
~ a breast pump (a better brand of it at that)
~ a diaper genie
~ toys
~ baby blankets, wraps, etc.
~ a bassinette
~ a car seat
~ a ride around hippo toy

Total cost thus far: $60.00 :toothy:

We paid $50 for the breast pump (second hand, hardly used), and $6 for the diaper genie. Everything else has either been given to us, or gotten off of Freecycle. We are accumulating everything, then sorting through what we want and either donating or FC-ing the rest of it.

Of course, we still have things we need, mostly for me. I still need some nursing bras and pads, we still need a mattress for the crip and bedding; we still need to get an ample supply of diapers and such; but on the whole, things are coming along pretty great. And pretty cheap!

Yippee! Hurray for frugal babies! :D

·
8,714 Posts
~You're doing great! Especially since you personally are aquiring it and not just getting it at your shower!
I kept a tally with my first as well, and outside of the cloth diapers we invested in(Motherease one size, covers, prefolds and snappis=$150)we spent well under $100 by the time he was born. $40 of that was for a dresser. ;)
I got most of the big stuff at the baby showers and then filled in at yard sales, thrift stores and consignment shops.
Babies don't have to be expensive!~

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I just had to mention that I am WAAY impressed!!

great job!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I'm way impressed also.

I'm assuming this is your first. IF it is don't invest to much in breast pad until you find out what you like and works for you. Everyone seems to have a favorite that worked for them.

My favorite breast pads were handmade from cloth diapers and and old cotton t shirt. One friend loved just folded up cloth diapers.

Again impressed.

How much longer until the baby is due to make his/her appearance?

·
19,119 Posts
Congratulations!! You are a great role model for all new moms and dads to be!! Please let us know more!!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Very impressive! You are doing great! :clap:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Great job! Baby stuff is "easy" to pick up like this in theory, because there's so much of it floating around. Kids grow up much faster than stuff wears out.

But it's not easy at all, because you have to move past that mental block that scares you to death as a parent that maybe if you don't give your kid the absolute most expensive of everything they might not be as good as they should be and you've failed them. That's *not* easy.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wanted to update this list:

~ handmade breast pads, 20 (circle of terry cloth from old towel and circle of vinyl backed tablecloth) -- free
~ vibrating baby chair -- $3 (yard sale)
~ shoulder bag with places to put baby bottles, plus changing matt -- free (DH found it as a freebie online)
~ about 12 well loved but useable baby blankets -- free (freecycle)
~ 8 prefold diapers -- free (freecycle)
~ 3 large glass baby bottles -- $1 each (Value Village)
~ several other baby bottles -- free (freecycle)
~ a bunch of new baby clothes -- free (DH's parents bought them while on a trip to Pensylvania)
~ changing table mattress -- free (DH's aunt)
~ bathrobe for hospital -- free (leftovers from a yard sale)

After all that, it's royally embarassing to tell you this part: We bought two nursing bras and two nursing tank tops, as well as a feeding pillow (DH insisted on a new one, don't ask me why) and total was *embarassed sigh* $217. But that's after 25% off from DH's aunt (who owns the baby store) for four bras that are all Canadian made by an ethical, supportive company. Also I am "blessed in the breast" as my girlfriend calls it, and I have the WORST time trying to find bras that fit. (Before DH, I only had one bra, because it was so difficult -- and expensive -- to find ones that fit. He made me go out and get more. :p)

So thus far, total for this baby is now at $66.00, and $217 for me. $280.00 total, I think. Might be a bit more here and there that I'm not thinking of, but definitely under $300.00.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But it's not easy at all, because you have to move past that mental block that scares you to death as a parent that maybe if you don't give your kid the absolute most expensive of everything they might not be as good as they should be and you've failed them. That's *not* easy.
lol I never even thought of that. Two of my main thoughts in acquiring all this stuff is "I REFUSE to raise a brat!" and "The baby won't be able to tell if this is new or not!" I keep harping at my folks not to buy me junkie plastic toys and things and to not overwhelm this baby with stuff. My stepfather is the one I'm most concerned about -- he doesn't have any children of his own, so this is his first "baby". I'm just waiting for the electric Jeeps and puppies to start showing up. :p

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
There is a difference between acquiring stuff for your child and raising a brat. I've seen the most humble, well-behaved and gracious children come from very wealthy families and I've seen some horrific children come from families that are in worst circumstances.

It all comes down to the actual raising of children. And I think you will have all that under control!

15 days and counting! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts