Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since about 9 months I have had contact with a second cousin of mine who lives near London. He is 73. We met up in London when we were there just before Christmas. During our conversations before Christmas he had been throwing names at me constantly and I really cannot remember who goes with whom etc., (I haven't lived in the UK since 1977). So I asked him if he would like to make a family tree for me so that I can 'see' everyone again. Well he groaned and agreed to do it. Later he admitted that once he got started he actually loved doing it.

I got it in the post the other day together with a photo of my great-grandfather, great-grandmother and their 9 children including my grandfather. The photo was taken around 1918.

The nice thing about it all is that I now have contact with another of my second cousins who I went to school with (he is only 2 years older than me). This happened because there were 9 children in my grandfather's generation with a large age difference.

Anyway this second cousin is very into tracing the family and has been back to Italy and our origins and is just dying to tell me all about it (he says that he has finally found someone just as interested as he is). So we have arranged that he and his wife and kids are coming to stay in Oct. I haven't seen this guy since 1977.

If anyone is interested I will get the photo scanned and put it in this thread (have to wait for dh though).

But anyway - I am very excited about this.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Please post the pic. This is cool!

My mother's cousin in Canada traced our roots back to Germany in the 1300's. He even went to Germany and met Catholic and Jewish Degenstein's who bore the tattoos of the concentrations camps. Genealogy is fascinating.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
How wonderful for you, I just started doing this for my husband's family last fall and it is the most unbelievably addictive of pasttimes. I have no doubt that your older cousin truly did love putting it together for you.

I hope you have a wonderful time in the fall reconnecting with your cousin. Just a word of warning though, if you have any other projects on the go I suggest you get them done now, because if you get bit by the genealogy bug you will never get anything else done again.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
That is very exciting. Can still remember my grandmother visiting the house she grew up in, in Germany. There were still relatives living in the house.

Hope you have a great time.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My grandma was really interested in tracing her family back. She found a family member who had already done tons of the leg work and who shared all of his info. I have all of that now that she's gone.

I have some old pictures too. When she passed away mom let me borrow all of her pictures and I copied some.

My grandmother lost two younger brothers in WW2. Years ago she gave me some pics of her brother who was a Marine paratrooper. These were pics that he sent to her (and one copy to a girlfriend) of him parachuting and at boot camp,etc. When he passed away the girlfriend gave her copy to my grandmother. Years later grandma gave me a copy!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
that's wonderful cant wait to see the pic.
I love history and how were related to who and where they came from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts