Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on overdrive lately making sure none of our food is wasted in the house. I dug out 3 items that had or were near expiration from my cupboards and I will be making chocolate pumpkin muffins this week to flash freeze for snacks and we will have a small can of mandarin oranges with our dinner one night this week. I also make sure any slices of bread that are about to expire go right into the freezer to use as breadcrumbs or crutons later.

I am also very good about using whatever is in the frige before the expiration date, as it's so wasteful to see food (money) go down the garbage disposal. I have about 5 apples that have been in my fridge for a few months, they still look good. I am going to turn them into apple sauce and freeze for later use. I have a full bag of bananas in the freezer that were over ripe on the counter so I froze them over the course of several months for later use. This week I am going to make several loaves of banana bread and bring one large loaf to my mom's house, have one large loaf for us to eat this week, and freeze several small loaves for later weeks. Even the bananas in the freezer need to be used before they get too freezer burned. Then the following week I will do this with the shredded zuchini I have frozen in the freezer. This way we will have snacks for a couple of months right from our freezer :).

I also spotted some bacon in the fridge that needs to be made and added to a meal or meals this week, I should have frozen it and now I just need to plain use it up so that I don't have to toss it out. I am going to chop up the rest of the onion in the fridge and freeze that for later recipes. We have a package of pizza cheese that I am going to use half of this week on a homemade pizza and save the other 1/2 of the package for next week's homemade pizza.

Is anyone else on hyperdrive lately, when it comes to making sure food is being used and not wasted. I would say I am going through the fridge once a day now to make sure I am staying on top of foods we need to eat up and or make into a meal quickly :chef:.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am definitely more conscious of this lately. I have also noticed since I have been doing this my grocery bill is a lot lower. So why haven't I been doing it all along? I'll never know! I'm usually the one that has a mish-mosh lunch. But I'm ok with that. It's nice having a variety of foods to eat. This week we only spend $45.00 on groceries. Ya!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just cleaned out my fridge this evening & am sorry to say I had to throw out a few things. I normally get stuff used timely, but had ds in from out of state for two weeks & I got off track. Now I need to use up stuff in the freezer & get ready for summer produce.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Sometimes for lunch I will end up with things that taste weird together and other times they are really tasty. The other day for lunch I had to use up a veggie soup and some noodles from earlier in the week. yummy it was like a brand new meal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts