Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know....My Mom and sisters and I used to have a 'community' drawer full of makeup and cosmetics when I was living at home. We all used it, the stuff stayed in there for YEARS.

Nobody ever worried about eye infections, and stuff like that. It gave us all more colors/types to choose from, and play around with. We would just wipe the top of a lipstick with a tissue or something before using it. I think we all had our 'own' mascara. We were the same with borrowing clothes at that time, we were all the same size (even Mom!) It stretched our wardrobe.

We never had any problems with 'old' makeup and creams etc. We never threw stuff out, we used it up. What do you all think of the new ideas about expiration on cosmetics and tossing every 3 months for mascara (gasp! --I don't toss it until it is good and empty!), and a year on lipstick and foundation, and 2-3 years on eyeshadow/powder and 'rules' like that?

I personally think this is a ploy by the cosmetic companies to get you to buy more often. I also think our society is getting silly. What do you all think?

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I cannot say that I am a believer in throwing our my foundation, eye shadow, or blush. But, mascara is a different story. My mom has been an ophthalmic assistant for over 36 years. She has always (and I mean all the way back to the 1970's) said it was recommended from a medical standpoint to throw out mascara after three to four months under normal conditions and sooner if you get an eye infection. Over the years she has told me horror stories about the problems some patients have had from using old mascara and from sharing mascara. The ophthalmologist she works works for recommends his patients dispose of it after two months, three at the absolute most.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have always heard to toss mascara, and I guess if you should be tossing mascara, it would be logical that eye shadow should be right behind it, since you put the applicator in the eye shadow, then on your skin, then back on the eye shadow.

Liquid foundation, if you use an applicator sponge and clean it or toss it after each use, I don't see a big problem with. I use a powder foundation, and I just tap a bit into a little shallow dish and dip the brush into that, so the stuff in the container stays pretty clean.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't think it is a ploy. Products do grow bacteria. Mascara is the worst. Also some people are just not sanitary with their products. I've seen many add tap water and even spit to moisten a product. They have to find a happy medium between those of us who wash everything and those who spit in their make up then want to sue for bad makeup. The dates are a happy medium IMO.

Reactions: LuLuBleen and cab54

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
I'm more concerned with the fats and oils in the product breaking down or going rancid. Then not only do they smell funny but they get hard and are difficult to apply. And you never really know whats going on with the chemicals in there after they start to degrade with time.

Reactions: cab54
G

·
I absolutely throw out mascara - I am really prone to conjunctivitis, so I pay attention to that.

I will also toss out liquid/creams/lip stick/gloss/etc if they are too old - either the ingredients won't be as effective, or I worry about them separating and getting nasty.

Powders - eye shadows, blush, etc - I don't worry about those. I will keep them for years.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I wouldn't mess around with Mascara. And I do know that lipstick will develop a fishy smell. Being my lips are right up under my nose I don't care to sniff old lipstick all day.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I just use everything until it's gone....Usually not during the recommended expiring dates! Most of my eye shadows etc...I have had for years! Mascara def lasts longer than 3 months and I apply two coats 5 days a week! Lip glosses/lipsticks, I use until gone...never had a problem with smells or anything. I use mineral foundation and that lasts forever! I use that until it's gone, but I do have liquid/cream foundations, that have been around quite a while that I am still using as well....I have never had any problems....So I'm not a play by the rules girl when it comes to the expiration dates with makeup.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't use many cosmetic items other than chapstick or lip gloss but I do know that mascara has MERCURY in it. Yuck!

As far as google would let me know, only Minnesota has banned mascaras with mercury in them.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I don't use many cosmetic items other than chapstick or lip gloss but I do know that mascara has MERCURY in it. Yuck!

As far as google would let me know, only Minnesota has banned mascaras with mercury in them.
Yes interesting isn't it?

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is an interesting topic - I don't use mascara everyday but I will buy a new tube yearly. My eyeshadow lasts a few years and I don't buy foundation. I don't think the recomenndations are a ploy just good safeguards

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
When I was a theater makeup major I had to do things like washing the brushes in warm water/soap and rinsing in alcohol, because the residue of the makeup on the brushes could foster bacteria and give the next actor contact dermatitus(I think?).

At any rate, to someone who'd always used makeup until it was just gone,this was an eye opener.

As I aged, I learned that if I kept a bottle of foundation in the fridge, I could use it for six months without breaking out, if not, it was like two...and I remembered what I'd learned in college. But if you are using makeup to cover up blemishes all the time, you might want to try sometime on vacation just going without and drinking lots of water, and see what happens?

When we moved to FL, it was so hot/humid I couldn't stand foundation AND I was drinking lots of water. I went from chronically broken out (in my 30s) to not. What changed? I stopped wearing foundation and drank more water.

My :cents:

Judi

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
definitely replace mascara every 2 mths or so

primer about every 6 mths

i use tinted moisturizer in place of foundation....i replace every 3 mths.

i wash my "foundation" brush (that i use to apply tinted moisturizer over my primer) daily w/ johnsons baby wash every time i use it. in the summer, i also once a week or so, rinse it w/ an astringent. just in case...

i use eyeshadow brushes (never the applicator included) and wash those weekly. i only keep powder eyeshadow for about one year

dont use eyeliner (if i do it is super rare, and i just sharpen to have a new point....)

lip liner til it is just about gone. lipstick no longer than one year. same for lip gloss.

facial YSL under eye brightener...dont think it would last longer than 3 mths...just love the stuff...

i think bacteria does get in it all as we open and close it. imo

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I don't have a problem tossing old makeup. I never use mascara past three months, buts it's usually almost gone by then.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just use everything until it's gone....Usually not during the recommended expiring dates! Most of my eye shadows etc...I have had for years! Mascara def lasts longer than 3 months and I apply two coats 5 days a week! Lip glosses/lipsticks, I use until gone...never had a problem with smells or anything. I use mineral foundation and that lasts forever! I use that until it's gone, but I do have liquid/cream foundations, that have been around quite a while that I am still using as well....I have never had any problems....So I'm not a play by the rules girl when it comes to the expiration dates with makeup.
See, this is me. I don't 'play by the rules', either, hotprincesssm. If something was really stinky or ickey looking, I'd toss it. But if something is usable to ME, it's getting used up. I'm not letting a bunch of cosmetic cops tell me 'when' is good. I think it's important to use our own common sense.

Interesting answers, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Geez, Judi Dial, everything is on that site is bad--everything I use, everything I have used. Yikes.

What do YOU use for safety's sake?

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I use mine until they are gone. I have put water in my foundation and water in my mascara to extend them a couple of uses.I have never had the cootie fever yet. If I do, I will revise my habits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I get eye infections really easy. And this is with replacing mascara every 2 months. I had one so bad that my eye doctor gave me the stink eye....He was extremely worried so I never keep eye makeup longer than I should. And I have never been one to keep it longer than recommended.

I also have very sensative skin so it doesn't take much to make me red and itchy. I have oily sking and seborrhic derm as well. With this mess of skin I am very careful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.