Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has been great so far!!

Our church decided to offer Financial Peace University and it started in the middle of January. We really wanted to take it but dh was off work for all of December due to a hernia surgery, so we just didn't have the money for it. I mentioned it to a friend and she mentioned it to our pastor. The pastor told us that we could barter for the class, so we ended up house and petsitting for them for 2 weeks over christmas. Tomorrow will be week 3 of the course and we are loving it!!

Last week we paid off our smallest credit card!! YAY!! We also put a large payment onto the next one so it should be paid off by the end of February.

Today I called our cell phone carrier and cancelled my phone, saving us $35/month. They also lowered dh's bill by $5/month and when going over the bill they found a mistake on last month's bill so we will be getting a $33.39 credit on our next bill.

Then I called our home phone/internet provider and they lowered our bill by $10/month.

When the moms came to pick up their kids one of them asked me to make some cookies to sell her this week. I also have 2 orders for wedding cakes, 1 in May and 1 in June.

I am so excited about all the extra amounts that I will be able to put towards debt. I just had too share with people that will get it.

·
27,948 Posts
I like how your Pastor offered to barter for it, wtg!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That's great danni! Those cc will be gone soon! :)

Reactions: danni

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like how your Pastor offered to barter for it, wtg!
When they told us we were absolutely thrilled. We've tried to barter with people before but most are just not interested, so we haven't even tried in quite awhile.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
That is fantastic Dani, good bartering. I am so happy for you. You can do it, we will be cheering for you.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Way to go! and I think DR would be proud to hear that you bartered to attend FPU rather than miss it!! Good thinking on your pastor's part, and so smart of you to make it happen!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would just post here again.

I was babysitting for 3 families until recently. One of the families moved away for work and one I had to quit because she hadn't paid me in the past month. So I only have the 1 girl now and she goes to the same school as my kids.

I decided to apply for the bus driving position at my kids school because we need the money. I didn't really want it because it means my older kids will have to watch my dd and the other girl in the morning(the girls would come with me after school). The other mom is ok with that so it would work.

The day after I applied they told me the position had already been filled but asked me to take the part time kindergarten TA job. This is even better for me and I am really excited. It is only temporary right now as the other TA is on medical leave right now. It looks like there is a chance that she won't be coming back at all in which case it would become permanent.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congrats on the new position!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK Another Update

Today we paid off the 2nd credit card!!!

I haven't cancelled it because I knew it had points on it that I wanted to redeem. I called in today and we had $50 worth of points, so I ordered 2 wii games for the kids for christmas. The total came to $59.78 so we will have to pay $9.78 out of pocket and once the order gets here we will cancel the card. YAY!!

Oh and I got 2 orders for birthday cakes this weekend so that will be a few more bucks towards the next bill.

WOOHOO!! 2 down 4 to go!!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the way to gos. You all are definitely keeping me motivated!!!

We just got our tax return and paid off another bill! YIPPEE!!! With the rest of the return I spent some on stockpile stuff, picked up a few things that we needed for making xmas gifts and the rest went to another bill. That bill now has only $150 owing on it, so we should be able to pay it off by the end of the month.
Once that one is gone we will only have 3 debts left.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.