Frugal Village Forums banner

Thought about getting a car

Tags
car thought
1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ansley 
#1 ·
5yrs ago I bought, with cash, a 1996 Ford Explorer. It has about 300 thousand miles on it now. Odometer went out 4yrs ago, both back doors will not open from the inside, will not go in reverse when it is cold, 1 window will not go down, the cd and cassette players didn't work when I bought it and still don't and etc. DH kept insisting I needed a new auto.

I have never been an auto person but I found my dream car. It gets at least 2x the mpg that my suv gets. It is a 4cylinder and my suv is a 6 but the car had more get up and go than my suv. We had a 1/3 down payment. I had already added it to the budget; higher insurance, tag and all. I added it to the debt snowball. The day was set to sign the papers.

Then I got to looking at the numbers and even with the gas savings we would still be paying almost 200 more a month (the payment, higher ins and much higher tag). Not to mention that we still have 1 more debt in BS2. I couldn't do it. Maybe next yr.

#2 ·
Although I don't know your finances, great job on putting that off if you still have your snowball you are trying to tackle. Can you find something cheaper that you wouldn't have to make payments on? Can you buy anything with that amount that you said was 1/3 down payment?

I'm currently driving a beater as well, I feel your pain, try to just keep plowing ahead.

#3 ·
Good for you in waiting. All I do is drive beaters and love it! No high monthly payment. :)

#5 ·
DH found 2 I could pay cash for. A Nissan that had over 240 thousand miles and in bad machenical shape. I don't remember what the other was but it was a stick shift. He has been looking in the tradewinds and has been asking around.

I wish at least the back passenger door opened from the inside. Two kids are old enough to get themselves out but I have to do it for them. I don't think my dd has ever let herself out of an auto and she will be 10 next month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.