Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've never posted in this part of the forums before, but I'm looking for collective wisdom. We have a 12+ year cat with vomiting and diarrhea. Through the last several months, we have determined he has trouble with most foods (especially fish). We have tried hypoallergenic dry foods, all wet food, no grain foods, etc. He did not vomit on the no grain food, but did not eat enough to maintain weight. He actually was slowly starving himself to death (down to 5.5 lbs from 7.5 lbs). we had him on cooked chicken breast for 3 weeks during which he did okay (but he refuses it now) and was gaining. We then tried a green pea and duck formula that seemed fine for 5 weeks. He then started having problems again. We've taken him to the vet twice -1st time, they said hairballs, try hairball remedy, try change in food. Thought anemic, but no signs at last visit. 2nd time (1 1/2 weeks ago), vet noted he had lost his back leg muscles (he had trouble walking), thought maybe stroke or possibly just problem due to loss of muscle-told us we had done everything we could. We now have him on a chicken based wet food. Poops are getting a bit better, but were loose again about an hour ago. He's not making the litter box for poops at all and some for pees (in litter box or pees in bed). He now walks fine again so is a bit better than when I took him to the vet. I'm willing to try him back on cooked chicken breast + taurine which he was doing okay on, but is intensive as I have to feed small amounts throughout the day or on a raw diet. If neither helps, we will put him down. I am, however, having a difficult time with that. any thoughts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
we had the same thing happen with my 15 year old cat a few years ago. the way our vet put it was that eventually, organs just stop working as well with old age and once you feel your pet no longer has any quality of life (ours was resigned to the bathtub bc of her issues) then it's the right time to put them down.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Has the vet ran a blood test? One of my cats had those signs and turned out she had diabeties.( she had lost alot of muscle with that )

Another one that they vomit and lose alot of weight is thyroid problems. Other than that, I cant think of anything else, unless like said above her age caught up with her.

Have you tried turkey instead of chicken? Hope everything works out ok.

·
Registered
595 Posts
We had a cat with the same issues and he had a thyroid problem. With the advise from the vet we put him down. He was 16 yrs old and the vet told us it was the best thing for him. He was tired and just needed to sleep is what she said. It made dh and I both feel better about the decision we had to make.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
I have had two cats with similar symptoms. One actually belonged to a friend who did not want to put him down so I said I would care for the cat until his time came.

In both cases, even though the cats were weak and not eating much and having bowl problems they were both alert and affectionate. Neither one seemed to be in pain, just tired. I could not bring myself to have them put to sleep under those circumstances. I cared for them and loved them until their natural time came.

We spent a lot of money at the vets but they were not able to diagnose the cause.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I would talk to your vet about it, and get his/her advice. Vets are usually very sensitive to the question of "when" it is right to euthanize an animal. In almost all instances where I've had to have an animal, pet or otherwise, killed, I have done so because I felt the animal was ready to die. It doesn't make it any easier, but it makes me feel that I'm not robbing them of as much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm so sorry, I have a cat who had a lot of your cat's symptoms. She was finally diagnosed a couple of years ago with inflammatory bowel disease (just like humans get). It was expensive to diagnose (ultrasound/endoscopy) and took forever to finally get to that point, but once she was put on prednisone pills she started doing a lot better (except she's a royal pain to give pills to, her jaw is almost like a vice grip!). Almost no vomiting (occasionally has some frothy liquid), and no diarrhea. She also has kidney disease and is an extremely picky eater. The vet told me to just give her whatever she would eat, she's 18, not really important at this stage. I found she loves dry Purina kitten chow. She also gets vitamin B12 shots occasionally to help stimulate appetite. Hopefully your vet can find something to help you, but definitely understand having to make other decisions at some point. We're not going to put our cat through anything else due to her age if her symptoms get worse. Now that we look back on everything we wonder if we even did the right thing, you never know. Anyway, hugs to you and your kitty!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through mom2three. This is the most difficult part of pet care. I am 55 years old and have had cats all my life. You pray that they will go gently in their sleep but like humans, it doesn't always happen that way.

I also have a cat, 16 years, and this is the stage I am at too. I am dealing with blindness, constipation, occasional vomiting and the worst is an off and on dementia. He also is on the verge of diabetes. He can't make it through the night anymore without having to go to the bathroom (so to speak). He doesn't ask to go outside and he doesn't use the litter box. I deal with each issue as it comes up but it has been getting harder and harder.

Your cat is like mine. Its not sick...it is old and at the end of its life.

These inconveniences and problems take their toll on the animal but also the people around them, not to mention all the other animals in the house who care about them too. As much as you want to separate your situation from them...you can't. I can't loose sight of the fact that I rent out rooms in my house to make what little income I have coming in and I don't have the luxury of allowing behavior that could impact that. You have young children that should not be exposed to some of the hygiene issues concerning your cat.

My cat has had to eat only special veterinary food for 11 years and when it is finished in the next few days my little old man will eat whatever pleases him. He is getting extra hugs and cuddles and treats and even though he has enjoyed a few weeks of mental clarity I can feel he is starting to slip again and when its time I will know and then my sister will come and take us to the veterinarian.

You have a family to consider and their well being. You have, with love and compassion, gone as far as you can go to care for him and it sounds like your veterinarian has too. I think you should feel no discomfort in your decision to allow him to pass with dignity. You should have no regrets. You are doing the right thing.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
kidney and liver can be the cause (eyes may have whites that are yellow) weight loss,loss of appetite.

Coccidia (sp). is an amoebic (sp) parasite that causes bloody diahrrea and vomiting. Can lead to starvation if untreated.

Could be he ate a sick mouse,garbage,cleaning chemicals,got into pesticides. Goes outside??

My cat got sick 9x today (bitty bits) and then peed in the kitchen. Not a usual prob. so I suspect we will be at the vet soon. We have euthanized at least 9 cats over our 20 year marriage and I am sorry you are left wondering.

I do have a question though? Was the blood test the extensive panel or jst a specific one. Coccidia is hard to find one a small sample of fecal matter. (sorry to be graphic)
I think another visit is prob. best.
Hugs to you.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
We went through similar things with our 16 year old cata few years ago. He had tons of muscle wasting also. The vet found nothing wrong but old age over and over. I really wish I had put him down sooner than I did. It was absolutely terrible when it was finally time as his body temps and blood pressure was so low. It was not a normal situation and took over 30 min to put him down due to the circulation.

We now have a 12 year old starting to have problems :(

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all. I didn't get all of your posts until today. Moonrising, your post was exactly what I needed. I actually scheduled an appointment to put the cat down a few weeks ago and could not do it. We found a food that he tolerates, but he will get into the other cats food or on the table trying to eat people food (as soon as I get up to get a cloth for the baby today). He wants food every hour and is eating 2x the amount he theoretically should. If he eats anything other than his food he vomits. He will do that if you don't feed him right away -he will not wait at all. He is not getting to the litterbox for poops, but is to pee. Poops are on the floor or couch. At this point with the baby almost ready to be mobile, I can't be cleaning up cat spew and poop all the time. Our couch is being wrecked and it is cost more than $100/month to feed him. Not that I want it to come to money, but I can't do this anymore. I will miss him though. I wish he would stick to his food.Hubby was prepared to clean one well-formed poop up per day, but we can do the loose poops and the vomit.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
we had a cat when I was a child that was doing the same thing as your cat. The vet said that he had a bladder blockage, did surgery & the cat was fine after that...he just couldn't have fish in his diet or else his symptoms would return. Kostoryz lived to be 17 yrs old.
Its so rough trying to figure out what is wrong when your pet doesn't feel good....if only they could speak. *hugs*

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We put our cat down tonight. He had been getting worse over the last 10 days. He started sleeping more, was not cleaning himself well, wanted to eat all the time, and was vomiting more. We got home after an appointment today and he was leaking feces (several spots around the house). We had to do it or he would have suffered more. Thanks for all your advice. I do believe he was diabetic, but had other issues as well. We'll miss him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.