Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a thrift store the other day. Not the one I usually go to so was excited to go to this one. It is smaller and cheaper than the one closer to me. Well, as soon as I walked in started to get this really ick feeling and felt like something was making my skin itch. Decided to look at the housewares and became more aware of how dirty everything was. Then moved to the appliance section. Didn't see anything there but did find a tripod for my camera. Walked over to the clothes section and could not believe how really worn the clothes looked.

This store tends to be more of a hit or miss when it comes to finding something. Glad about the tripod even although there is a part that is broken but it does not seem to affect the tripod. Camera is lightweight so no chance of the tripod going down or anything like that. Plus for $4 really can't complain.

Just wish I could get over the ick factor part. Really do enjoy finding bargains just almost at the point of saying NEVER AGAIN for this store.

Anyone else find themselves wanting to stay out of a thriftstore because of this. Can't help but think that clearance sales are more my speed from now on.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
There are many thrift stores in and around my area. There was ONE that is just nasty, smells bad, etc. I just stopped going there. It closed up.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
There are several in the town I work in. They are all very clean thank heavens. I still dont go very often though just due to lack of time.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Anyone else find themselves wanting to stay out of a thriftstore because of this.
We don't have any that are 'that bad' here. (or that I have been in anyway)

There is a Goodwill that has a very large toy section and parents let their kids just RUN RAMPANT while they shop. With this one I try to go early morning......and during the week........usually better and the toys haven't been tossed all over...........also stay out of that aisle!

·
Registered
956 Posts
we have a couple thrifts in our area, and there is one, downtown, that I just don't go to anymore. All their stuff is run down/torn up, and it is all much less than clean. I get that creepy/crawly itchy feeling in there too, which is why I just crossed that one off my list of places to go. All the other thrift stores in the area are clean and neat.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
We have one that is on the edge of a bad area. It buys overages from other thrifts stores so the stuff is eWWW at times. The store itself can smell funky and the clothes smoky. I haven't been in awhile. It is typical to find a used kleenex in a sweater pocket or an unwashed pan. Sometimes they sell 1/2 off coupon items so I go every once in awhile IF I am already in the area. Flea markets aren't any better.
Carry antihistimines and purell for these places. Everything gets bleach.

·
Registered
675 Posts
There are 2 in the area. One is an animal welfare thrift store and they used to have a litter box right in the book aisle. Thank goodness they moved it because that was just nasty! The other one that really creeps me out is a used book store. They once had their dogs going to the bathroom all over incontinence pads right in the aisles. I haven't been there to see if its cleaned up. It may be closed now.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
There were a few I visited (once!) in the states that were icky. Furniture was broken and I saw lots of stains on the clothes-ew!

On base here, the thrift stores are great. Volunteers run it and the proceeds go towards base programs. The volunteers work hard to only have clean and working items and having everything organized. It also helps that there is a steady stream of people leaving the country, so they try to offload their extra items and European appliances.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
yep. understand. there are some i wont even step into....

no wonder the ick ones end up closing....junk and stinky...there needs to be something of value even if there is a bad smell imo...

i have found that if you find them in "better" areas, the smells are not that bad at all...and the merchandise is much better quality. i go to one and find lots of unworn top name brand clothing...ie...ann taylor, ann taylor loft, gap, chicos, lands end, j crew....

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I tend to worry about things like scabies and bedbugs.....even from the 'clean' places. Everything goes promptly into the wash as soon as we get home!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whenever my husband and I visit his mother in law, we end up going to the "Goodwill by the pound" store. You have to wear gloves when you search through the bins, but you can usually find some really god deals. I love getting cookbooks from there (the book sections is really clean lol) and everything else that is nasty we usually wash and disinfect right away.

But still not the best experience lol

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
There are 2 in the area. One is an animal welfare thrift store and they used to have a litter box right in the book aisle. The other one that really creeps me out is a used book store. They once had their dogs going to the bathroom all over incontinence pads right in the aisles. .
:thud: OH YUCK........that just about grossed me out!! I would wonder if the male dogs weren't lifting the leg to hit a few books......ugh!!!

What are people thinking when they do that? just gross!!

I buy books at our library book sales........25 cents.......cheaper than ANY thrift store around here.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Just vote with your dollars!! Don't support the nasty ones. Give your money to the ones that will take the time needed to give good presentation and product and run the bad ones out of town.

It works!! We have had several nasty ones disappear and several nice but not commercial non-profits that are able to stick around. They take the time to take care of their shop. Anyone can open a box and shake the dust off a book, its not that difficult. Don't give your money to a shop keeper that can't or wont give you a decent experience, it just ruins the "Thrift" name for the rest of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts