Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had to wear the same sweater to work twice in one week, I realize that I have a big problem and need to fix it!

I have a $50/ mo clothing budget, and desperately need to build my wardrobe back up after weight loss & DH accidentally throwing out a bag of my sweaters!

I have never owned a ton of clothes, and never dressed as well I could due to a lack of priorities, money - or just not liking anything I see when I shop...I want to change that!

So, today I bought 3 much-needed sweaters & 1 dress shirt at a thrift store for $24! So excited! After a few more shopping trips like today, DH will finally not have more clothing options than me!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
great deals !!!

Reactions: gmarie

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I loved the information on a capsule wardrobe. I don't have to dress up for work, but that is no excuse to dress like a slob either!

I want to get my colors done!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, we are moving from 2500 to 600 sf on Sunday in an attempt to get out of debt by 2012. DH and I will have ONE closet. Sharing a closet was another one of those things I said I would never do. ;-) This will be interesting!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Also, we are moving from 2500 to 600 sf on Sunday in an attempt to get out of debt by 2012. DH and I will have ONE closet. Sharing a closet was another one of those things I said I would never do. ;-) This will be interesting!
Since I've retired, my wardrobe is much smaller, it's pretty much color coordinated (denim blue, brown, navy & pink) so that relieves the stress of dressing.

Don't forget that a scarf or sweater can change the outfit enough to be worn in the same week.

Good luck.
PS You'll still have your dresser drawers for your stuff :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just bought three brand new banana republic dress shirts for $24!
$26 left to spend this month. I love thrift store shopping!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just looked at the banana republic website & those 3 shirts would have sold for $192 in the store (incl tax). $24 for 3 was an excellent deal! They are like new! So excited ;)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
thrift shopping is exciting (at least for some of us..me included) you never know what you can find....some days there is only junk that i would never buy used...other days, well, fabulous shopping to be had!!! i "label shop" as i have said before, looking for Trina Turk, David Kahn, Banana Republic, Gap, J Crew, Ann Taylor and other higher end deisgners...Chico's comes to mind as does white/black, J Jill...you just never know...one mans junk is another treasure!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I love thrift store shopping. I go to the next town to Goodwill on Wednesday's sometimes when they have a tag color sale and all clothing and shoes with that color tag is only 99 cents. I bought some nice sweaters that way. I now have to many clothes though so I'll be having my own yard sale in the summer. I'll get more out of things than I gave for them at Goodwill.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I had the problem of too many clothes! But, at this rate I will get there in no time! :)

I need new shoes next. I have wearing been wearing rain boots instead of winter boots, and I have no casual winter shoes. But I have 4 pairs of black pumps! Obviously, I need to work on being organized so I don't buy duplicates!

Another reason for needing a greater variety of shoes is b/c I tend to wear one pair at a time, and they wear out fast. In fact, my rain boots now have a hole in them. :-(

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not a thrift store find, but found a nice pair of boots at Marshall's for $20. $4 under budget for the month!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! I can't wait until March and I have another $50 to spend. It's nice not having to wear the same sweater twice in a week! Finally starting to have some options again!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used to totally shun our local Goodwill. I would use it to make donations but never, ever stepped foot in the store. Recently I went down two sizes and I refused to buy a new pair of jeans in case I wound up losing more weight. So off to Goodwill I went. They didn't have too much in my size but I scored a pair for $2.99! I was thrilled. I went today after making another donation and bought 3 pairs of short (with the tags still on them) for $8.97. Score! They are just starting to put out their summer stuff so I plan on going back again soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.