Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many you that do quilting use leftovers from the thrisft store? i was thinking of gaetting the odds and ends of larger size denim pants for the boys to make them homemade quilts for their beds with some red and green for the border edges. hm what do u think?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I think it's a great idea and a great way to recycle.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Great idea, if you can get jeans for cheap at the thrift store.
I would check out bag sales at rummage sales for even cheaper prices!
Maybe you thrift store has those types of sales, ours doesn't.

also.. check free..or giveaways...
a local church in our area had one last year..
everything was free..
with tons of clothes & jeans!!
It was such a success that they are doing it again this year.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I know a few people who buy mens shirts and use them for quilts also. The plaid ones and flannel ones. Turns out great!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
teah i have a thrift book from leasure arts with old plaid shirts in it to make small blanket. Looks nice and warm.
I wonder do i need a heavier needle though? because of denim??

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yep, it is a great way to get quilting fabric! If you ask, lots of times they will just 'give' you jeans that are too worn out to sell. I cut the seams out as soon as I decide a pair of jeans is not wearable anymore and have them all saved in a bag for a jeans quilt. I may have enough now but have other projects ahead of it.

I always scope out fabric at thrift stores. I've gotten some great deals including 15 yards of cotton fabric on a bolt that only cost me $2.00 for the whole 15 yards! I've also gotten some great smaller 'retro' fabrics for next to nothing and they would have been way over $20.00 even on ebay.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I don't quilt but my mom always made denim quilts and they were the best things ever! Then she would take the strips leftover, sew them together and crochet rag rugs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm always on the lookout for pieces from the thrift store that are suitable for my sewing projects.

I also collect denim jeans which I cut up for projects, and so far have made a money wallet for DSD, and a sewing/needle wallet for myself and a zippered coin purse for my sister - they turned out great and I think the denim makes them very durable. My kids are starting back at school next week and I am planning to make their pencil cases from some of my denim stash and putting appliques onto them, because I think they will hold up better than anything storebought. Plus they will be much more original too.

Things I look for when I'm thrifting are jeans, fabric offcuts, chenille blankets, linens etc. I also love finding ric rac and buttons and trims that I can use with my projects.

I've seen the quilts made from jeans and also from mens shirts, and they look terrific. I am yet to attempt one myself.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Ooooo I love that denim quilt, I may try a smaller version and make a "snuggle" for my kids! :D

I wonder do i need a heavier needle though? because of denim??
When working with denim you do need a heavier needle. Though because you won't be sewing seams (4-6 layers thick) like you would when making jeans, I don't think you need a jeans needle but at least a 14 or 16 (90 - 100).

My stash is so big, that I haven't been looking at thrift stores to supplement it. I think getting fabric wherever you find it cheap is a great idea! :D

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everone for the info and the needle info too. I cant wait to get all the material, it may take a month or tow to find stuff cheap enough but not rush.:pony:

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have a jean blanket my aunt made years ago and dh and i fight over it. I should start saveing jeans to make him one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quilts

I also get alot of my denim jeans for craft projects at bag sales like when a church has a sale the last couple of hours they have a bag sale.
:hot:

Tracey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts