Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was watching the news last week and saw that among the biggest shopping trends that grew in 2021 was second hand shopping or thrifting and I was so glad!
The newer generations are paying attention to their purchases and buy more consciously.

Today I found this article about the Generation Z driving a renaissance in thrifting and I knew I had to share it with you all! Happy reading <3 and Happy New Year!!!

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I hope the renewed interest brings back the stores in my area. We used to have several within a mile or two and they are all gone. Shame to hear that it is causing prices to rise, but I guess higher demand will do that.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
We had a few clothing thrift stores here but not anymore. My kids are Gen Z and neither use thrift stores. One just refuses to spend a dime on anything (he was the one who would lay in bed and throw his dollar bills in the air to make it "rain") while the other spends money, but mostly on food.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
My kids grew up with garage sale, thrift store buys.....I had many people say how nice they always looked...of course their hair was combed, face washed and they had socks and shoes on when out in public....a trend that seems to be gone now...I had to leave a store one day I was so upset....a couple came in with a baby and the baby had a diaper on...that's it....I know it's none of my business but what's so hard about putting some clothes on a baby???

I worked with teen moms for years and first thing I taught them is you dress your baby just as nicely as you dress yourself and a oneies is NOT a complete outfit...it's meant to be worn under pants, shorts or a skirt for the baby...and babies grow so fast there's no need to buy new...we had a "store" at the teen center where the girls could get clothes with the fake money they earned for attending, participating, etc but when I started it was all new stuff so cost to girls was high........told director there is nothing wrong with second hand clothes so she finally agreed...we got gobs of clothes coming in, new with tags, almost new, barely worn....I had so much fun putting the clothes up and the girls started dressing their babies much better.......
I'm not sure why it bothers me so much when I see a kid not dressed but it does....

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
babies are in clothes sizes so little why pay a lot for them! even kids swapmeets, or trade with other moms all did that. thrift stores hit and miss cus big chain here of thrift stores started selling them more then you can buy new on sale. thrifting is great ..where you get collections things out of fashion etc. have to know your prices though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Registered just to comment–hi everyone! Not really a new member per se, been lurking for quite some time now. I'm part of Gen Z and if any of you have TikTok, there's actually a pretty large community in TikTok called ThriftTok.

It's an entire trend where people thrift an entire outfit for under $50, $25, and even $10! Also, tons of great videos on upcycling thrifted clothing! Like turning a dress into a croptop + skirt combo, etc and etc. Tons of Gen Z thrifters like me! It helps with all the waste from fast fashion (like SHEIN) and it's definitely a frugal way to enjoy being a fashionista :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts