Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I'm knitting my first project, I'm running into a problem. Sometimes my loops are so tight around the needles that I can barely pull them through. How can I remedy this?

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Keep practicing. Tension is something that comes with practice.
If your cast on is too tight, you could try casting on holding two needles together then slipping one out after you have the required number of cast on stitches.
As for knitted/purled stitches being too tight, take care how tightly you wrap the yarn around the needle for each stitch. Be sure after you pull the stitch through & drop the knitted stitch off the left needle that you aren't tugging the working yarn too tightly and creating a tight stitch that way.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Also, make sure that you are putting the needle all the way into the stitch and not just the tip. If you are wrapping the tip of your needle and not the shaft your stitches will be tight also. I was really bad about that with my first scarf.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am glad you asked this question Amy, I just started knitting last weekend (a scarf) and yesterday my stitches were so tight that I gave up. I don't know how to get them off the needle anymore :(. Is it possible to unravel the stitches to where it was easier and start over? I think I might have made some mistakes anyways.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yes, you can unravel them back to where it was easier to knit them. Sometimes I just rip out and start all over again. Just depends on my mood.
I agree that practice is what helps with stitch tension. It's like anything else you learn to do in life. Practice, practice, practice. Then you will be doing without a second thought and it will be what is right for you.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I am glad you asked this question Amy, I just started knitting last weekend (a scarf) and yesterday my stitches were so tight that I gave up. I don't know how to get them off the needle anymore :(. Is it possible to unravel the stitches to where it was easier and start over? I think I might have made some mistakes anyways.

Try this video: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos//bas-tech-more/frog-to-cable-needle-rds.mpg

It shows you how to insert your needle in to rows under where you want to fix the mistake (or in this case too tight stitches). Just ignore the fact that she doesn't have a needle in the stitches (you will want to keep your needle in the stitches...don't take your needle out...use an extra needle).

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Thank you YankeeMom, I just went to the site you posted and the lady does such a good job of teaching you how to cast, knit, and fix mistakes. I have a very dark purple yarn, I think I am going to take my current sample project off my needles and learn to cast and begin knitting again with a lighter color yarn. I want to be able to see my mistakes better.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Great advice ladies, they are all right Amy. LOL It does take lots of practice to learn how to get an even tension, don't give up, you can do it! :)

When first starting out, whether you are knitting, crocheting or whatever using yarn, it is always easier to see what you are doing using a light colored yarn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts