Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So DH and I were channel surfing the other night and that was the only thing on. For those of you who don't know, its a Canadian show where this lady helps couples in financial distress come up with budgets and figure out how to deal. Anyway, we're watching this and I'm thinking DH is bored so I flip the channel and he's like "what are you doing, I'm watching that!!". Of course that leaves me shocked because usually, any type of money talk and he heads for the hills. So after the show ended, he turns to me and says "we need to start planning a menu, so how about we sit down and figure out where our paycheck are going this week and at the same time, find out our schedules so we can both make dinners this week."

I'm absolutley floored by this. I never thought I'd ever hear my husband say anything like that....EVER! I'm glad we watched that show! I think it put a perspective on our situation. First, that its not that bad and second, we could very easily become the couple on the show!

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or something that has pushed your SO to adopt your frugal ways?

I'm curious if this lasts or not...lol!

Reactions: britbunny

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Wow - I'd love to find that in the US if possible. Sounds like a fascinating show. And what a breakthrough with DH!!!

I had that kind of moment when Ceashels put Dave Ramsey on the DVR. I had no idea who he was, so I checked out his show, and it changed our lives. Speaking as a man - just hearing the kinds of stories where people thought they were doing ok - thought it was all on track - and then the unthinkable happened...job loss, illness, etc. That's what caused the massive paradigm shift in my head.

Men (real men) take their responsibility to their families very seriously. When a man opens his own eyes to what's really at risk with debt, I believe they will change in unbelievable ways.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I think that both myself and my husband has had this moment in the last couple of months. As in "We can't keep playing at this, it is time to get serious". I wish I could find that show here in America also.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Good for your hubby!!

I love that show!! It's what all got me started!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
That show is like my crack, seriously. I can't get enough of it, especially when she proves to people that by putting $200/mo into savings for 30 years, you end up with $500k for retirement. I try to watch it whenever I can, but it's on at so many different times on different channels.

There's another show that's out here that has another lady on it, does the same thing, and I think they show the other lady on W Network.

http://www.slice.ca/Shows/ShowsPage.aspx?title_id=93097

That's the one on Slice. She's great. I love her accent too! :lol:

She even has a book out if anyone wants to get it. It's called Till Debt Do Us Part: 2009 Life Planner. I think even the viewers in the US might be able to watch full episodes online, but I know we can here and some places have restrictions.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My husband has always been on board with being frugal. He's probably more frugal than me in some ways. I do love the show. I am sure I have watched every episode plus some of them a bunch of times in reruns.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
My dh has always been on board and in fact is even more frugal than I am.

It's nice to have your dh come on board. It works so much easier. I think it can last if you include him in all your frugal decisions.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I got hooked on this show the moment I watched it. One night bf came over unannounced and I soooo ignored him until it was over. Its only a 30 minute show anyhow. So now HE's hooked and actually he's gotten himself into better shape financially with Gail's advice and my frugal tips LOL.

Every time I try to watch this show its on as re-runs. I wonder when the next season starts.

·
Registered
328 Posts
We could really use a show like that, if there's one way Americans could really use some counsel and improvement it's in the area of how we view and handle finances. But alas we will continue to program shows like American Idol, Survivor, Wife Swap etc etc etc shows with no redeeming or educational value what-so-ever!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I haven't seen the show, but we did have a show like that in the US. I don't remember the name of it, or what channel it was on, but it was maybe 3 years ago? It was a guy, and he did the same sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I really like that show! It was on tv in England.

England has an awesome show (don't remember what it's called but it's on BBC) where they take someone deep in debt and show them how to live frugally. They also have a psychiatrist(sp?) work with them to see WHY they have the urge to spend so much.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
jennybethg;1062211England has an awesome show (don't remember what it's called but it's on BBC) where they take someone deep in debt and show them how to live frugally. They also have a psychiatrist(sp?) work with them to see WHY they have the urge to spend so much.[/QUOTE said:
I love the show Til Debt do Us Part too, I caught it by accident on some weird channel one afternoon! I like to see the reaction of the people when they see how much (or how little cash is in each of those jars!

The British show is called "Spendaholics" DH and always watch it when it's on. They don't have a financial expert as such Jay is a "lifestyle expert" and helps people to cut down on their spending and find alternatives while Ben the psychologist looks for the reasons behine their spending.

There was another great show over here a few years ago called "The Bank of Mum and Dad" where someone's parents would go to live with the person in debt and sort them out - many of the parents were really debt averse so were so shocled by their child's spendind. There was also a financial expert (an ex-banker) with them who went through their books and helped them develop a gameplan.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I love love love this show, gail Vaz Oxlade has her own website and blog and it is pretty informative and she is so funny.

not sure if I can post links but if you google her name it will come up, it is pretty much just her name with a .com on the end.

She has another book that I just finished reading called a woman of independant means, it was really good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That wouldn't happen to be http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/ would it?

I LOVE HER!

DH floored me recently too! His family is really going through a financial crisis right now and unfortunately for me (or fortunately?) he is the responsible one. He is two siblings, the older is 30 and a *musician* and of course, can't demean herself to getting a real job while working on her *art* and the other is in school (we will see how that goes). The whole family except DH has horrible spending habits that were made possible by my FIL's HUGE salary. However, I don't foresee things going well in the future for them and at least his mom and sisters turning to DH for help for the faaaaaaaamily.

We were talking about their situation and he told me that we have responsibilities to ourselves and our welfare before we can help anyone else. :thud: I figured he would have no problem throwing money at them. I'm so happy that I'm not going to have to fight with him about his family and their financial situation. We have nothing (we are just starting out, DH graduated this year) and we have school and medical debt.

Never mind the fact that with DH and I both working at the top of our wage scale will not even be close to what FIL makes regularly. We would make sure they didn't starve, but not much else, we cannot afford their lifestyle, or to keep them in the lifestyle with which they have become accustom. :D

~KB

·
Registered
348 Posts
We were in Vancouver in September for our honeymoon and we caught one episode of this show. We really enjoyed it.

I like seeing stories about real families. I feel like it is much more motivating than generic money saving tips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts