Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I have been putting off replacing the bathtub faucet for some time because of financial reasons. We've had a leaky one and after replacing the valve stem a few times, it's back to leaking. We had originally intended on replacing the bathtub faucet when we redid the entire bathroom (the floor and tile need replacement).

I think the time has come to re-tile the shower and replace the bathtub faucet. Our only option because our bathroom is so small is to get one that comes out of the wall and has one control for both the hot and the cold water.

Anyone have any good recommendations about how to do this? Neither of us are very good at replacing anything except maybe some drywall and other smaller things.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Replacement should be straight forward unless the fixture is very old. What exactly are your concerns?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooh, thanks for that website Russ. :)

My concern was just how much of the tile we'd have to remove in order to put in a brand new fixture. If we're unable to get a new faucet like the one we had before (the kind where you pull out the handle in the center and it diverts the water from the faucet to the shower head, and it has a hot water knob on one side and a cold water knob on the other side), would we have to replace the plywood behind the tile and then the tile itself?

If we can just get a valve plug replacement, we'll be fine. I'm looking at possibly having to pull the bathtub out and then replace everything including the tile.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
You should not have to replace the tile and you should be able to find a similar fixture.
There should be screws that hold on the knobs and the spigot should just unscrew although there may be a set screw as a final safety. Remove any caulk, if there is any, around any fixture before attempting to unscrew them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts