Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a day, what things seem to take up your time? As an example, I don't watch much television, but started watching a bit more in the past week and have noticed that it can really take up a big chunk of time that I could be doing other things.

I do like that I can "multi task" and do something such as my laundry while watching tv, but it's still a big time waster.

I know many of us wish there were more hours in the day, so what types of things are taking up your hours? And are there solutions to remedy the problem?

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Most of my time is swallowed up by the computer. I usually crochet while sitting in front of the computer, because I don't have to concentrate hard on the crocheting.

While watching tv in the evening I usually: fold laundry, clean out my purse, crochet or knit... I also get up during commercials and do something small, like a couple of dishes, throw in a load of laundry, etc..

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
While watching tv in the evening I usually: fold laundry, clean out my purse, crochet or knit... I also get up during commercials and do something small, like a couple of dishes, throw in a load of laundry, etc..
I do this also. It drives my DBF batty. :lol: He wants me to just sit, relax and enjoy the show, but I can't! I am always lookin' around, seeing or thinking of something that needs to be done.

I feel like sleep eats up most of my time. I work nights and sleep days. Sometimes I wish I could function on less sleep, but I just can't. I need 8 hours. I am sure that will change once I have children. ;)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Well, I love the internet (especially this forum :whistle:), although I like to this of this as constructive time since I pick up so many money-saving tips. My other biggest time waster is talking on the telephone. Also, at bedtime I like to sit in bed and read or do sudoku puzzles, and sometimes I end up staying up too late!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember when I used to work outside my home, I had a long commute. It was 45 minutes with low traffic each way, but typically an hour drive each way. I'm really thankful that Gabe and I don't have that long commute anymore.

I spend a considerable amount of time doing laundry too. I can't say it's a time waster since it really needs to be done. I do wish I could streamline it to be a faster task though. Our washer and dryer are in the basement and so I am forever bringing laundry up and down two flights of stairs. If we somehow created a new laundry area upstairs, that would help a ton.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Spider. Freecell. I tell myself I'm relaxing, but do I really need to relax THAT much? I don't have a television, but the computer doesn't need any help to eat up hours that could, admittedly, be more productive.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
This post really got me thinking about my time wasters. The television is one for me to a certain extent, but I find I am able to clean and cook with that on. I love my computer and especially this website and I spend way too much time here, but it's time well spent and I have been better about getting on in the evening after my chores are completed and I can just enjoy myself. Reading is an addiction of mine that keeps me from other tasks and can eat up whole days at a time if I am not careful.

Not having a plan of attack while cleaning can be a time waster for me. I just made a list of all the things I need to clean: daily, weekly, monthly, and twice a year. I am going to type it up and print the schedule out each week, that way I will know what I have accomplished for chores and what I need to accomplish before the month is through. I am germ phobic and I need things to be clean around me or I can't sit still and relax very well.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have to agree with everybody that says the computer. Some days I think I should just not turn it on or use it as a reward for getting my work done. :dishes:

Monner

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I limit the time on the computer, otherwise it is a time waster for me.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I think the computer is my best time wasting 'thing' and Im just starting to watch tv again :(

I agree with Marie78 - being unorganized is also a huge time waster here :(

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Sara...i know one way that would streamline that without having to build a laundry room upstairs...I helped when each my grandmothers built "dumbwaiters" into their houses. If you google it i am sure you can find plans. They are easy to do, although there are companies that will do it for you. That streamlines alot!

It might not be a great idea with little kids around. But it's an idea anyway.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I remember when I used to work outside my home, I had a long commute. It was 45 minutes with low traffic each way, but typically an hour drive each way. I'm really thankful that Gabe and I don't have that long commute anymore.
I have about a 40 minute commute and I don't like to hear the jabbering on the different radio stations because some of it is downright ridiculous. But, I have discovered audio books that I just slip into the CD most days. I have a friend who is learning spanish this way!! Sometimes it's just good to stop the multi-tasking mania and just allow ourselves a good 1-2 hour "doing nothing useful" time every once in a while and let ourselves relax!! Sometimes I feel I may forget how to do this :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
the computer, without a doubt

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The computer for me but once the kids get home they seem to take over the computer so I don't use it like after 3 pm BUT when available it is a huge time waster for me.

Eileen

·
Registered
282 Posts
the internet was a big time waste, then I got hooked on searching for coupons + deals (Slickdeals + **************)! I could use my commute time better. I waste a lot of time waiting for trains that are late, then staring blankly as I ride them. I sometimes cut out images for decoupage but it seems to make other riders nervous...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I just made a list of all the things I need to clean: daily, weekly, monthly, and twice a year. I am going to type it up and print the schedule out each week, that way I will know what I have accomplished for chores and what I need to accomplish before the month is through. I am germ phobic and I need things to be clean around me or I can't sit still and relax very well.

This is a great idea!!

My biggest time waster is too much computer time - I try to make sure I have everything finished around the house before I play online.

·
Registered
660 Posts
definitely the computer. I have a cycle that I go through every time I get on. I check all my bank and cc sites, check my emails ( the gazillion I get a day), then go to Tmz, then myspace, then finally end up on FV. I save here for last cuz i know thats where Ill spend the most time. Im also really bad about going to a website (Sephora, Victorias Secret, Amazon ETC.) creating a shopping cart of all the stuff I want, then exiting out of it so Im not tempted to buy anything. Hey its better than actually spending the money right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts