Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tips for a great smelling house?

Ever notice some homes just smell wonderful? I try to make a point to open windows to allow fresh air in. What do you use or do to make your house smell good?

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I have two large dogs, so I am a little paranoid about how my house smells most of the time. I open the windows as well, and spray with Lysol while it's airing out. Ferbreeze the top of the comforter, a squirt on the bedroom rug, and the chair in the living room that is non-leather. And scented candles always add a nice touch. And, I love the smell of cookies baking, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I know this sounds weird, but I think when the sheets are all nice and clean, everything smells better.

I also try to make sure the laundry gets put in the hamper and doesn't get piled on the carpet. The odors they put off seem to multiply and stay in the carpet.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I tuck dryer sheets around: under the sofa cushions, in drawers. I love Downey brand when they're on sale.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Occassionally (especially now in thefall/winter season) I'll put some orange peels on a cookie sheet with the oven on low and the door cracked or simmer some cinnamon water.

In the spring/summer I rely on the windows being open, wiping things down with white vinegar, and sprinkling baking soda on the carpet before vaccumming.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I have 2 boil recipes that I use during the winter:
From my grandmother's recipe box
Cut up one orange and one lemon -
I do this after I squeeze the juice out of them-
A handful of whole cloves
2 Bay Laves
2 cinnamon sticks broken u
2 cups of water
Boil this on back of stove. Then turn down to low simmer.

From an Heloise article
1 cup water
2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
Put it in microwave on high til it boils.
Open door and let smell out

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard vanilla extract on cotton balls works. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DH loves the small of cinnamon so we simmer cinnamon sticks all through the holiday season.

Other times of the year we have Febreeze Scent Story players going.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I've heard vanilla extract on cotton balls works. Has anyone tried this?
I just tried this for the first time last week! It works wonderfully. It has to be pure vanilla extract, not the imitation kind. My husband is a smoker, and I think it helps soak up the smoke smell.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I open the windows, use Glade Plug-ins (I buy on sale with a coupon), use an air purifier, and pour a little lavender oil on a cotton ball and put it inside my vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
smelly house

I too love the vanilla on the cotton ball---I even use it in the fridge.......an open dish of vinegar works wonders too, I have only used inside of a cupboard (an onion was behind some canned things and went soft-the smell was very strong onion, like make your eyes water when you opened the cupboard) overnight the smell was gone. I like my tart warmer, and when I light it to often I add extra essesnce oils to the wax.:applause::applause:

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I just tried this for the first time last week! It works wonderfully. It has to be pure vanilla extract, not the imitation kind. My husband is a smoker, and I think it helps soak up the smoke smell.
I have to try this one, I am a smoker BUT I only smoke in the bathroom and I spray, wipe down and can get the smell out which is good but I might try this to see if it works for me.

As for houses smelling good, my mom's apartment always smells good too, but she always has candles burning mostly cinnamon or something similar.

I might have to try the simmering on the stover recipes since I can't afford to keep buying candles. :)

·
8,714 Posts
Wonderful-smelling, to me, is having no smell at all. So I try to;
~Keep foods put away.
~Keep trash cans covered and take out daily.
~Keep dishes and laundry caught up.
~Disenfect frequently touched surfaces with vinegar, bleach water or wipes.
~Keep kitchen sink dry when not in use. Also pouring bleach and boiling water down the drains occasionally.

I really don't like scented houses but my DH does. I think the only home scents I do like are cedar and euclyptus. And that's actual cedar wood and dried euclyptus, not a freshener. DH is a cinnamon and vanilla fan. He'd have the whole house smelling like a Yankee candle shop if I didn't live here.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I open windows once a week at least...even if it is cold out. Let it air out for while then light candle in the main room for an hour every morning. I also take laundry down stairs every night and make sure garbage covered overnight. Dishes go in dishwasher right away and toilet gets washed w bleach every week.
If I cook something it seems to make house homey smelling and I let soups simmer for a while to get house warm and smelling good.
I do not walk into my house thinking wow this smells great but when I am in it, it smells good! I also work from home and the daycare families always say it smells cozy. I light cinnamon apple candle every morning.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Boy this thread has been awesome. We have a new dog and she's all I can smell. I LOVE Yankee candles, but they are soooo expensive. Since I read this thread, I have been simmering an apple core (I ate the apple this morning) and some cinnamon and nutmeg in a pot of water and the WHOLE house smells!! This works better than any candle.

We pour some vanilla in a bowl when we're painting to absorb the smell. It really works.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
What else could I simmer? I saw Laurie's post. Wonder if I could just simmer vanilla.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i like putting EO in my vac. On a little felt square. when i vac ist blows the scent all over the room i am in.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well, to remove odors from the air, I set around little custard cups with white vinegar. I burn a lot of candles, or just set around cups of liquid potpourri. I also use that scented carpet deodorizer. That makes my house smell great for days!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts