Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your tips for saving in this area?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I buy Tide on sale and with a coupon and then use half the recommended amount. Tide was voted #1 by Consumer Reports. I also put some in a spray bottle and use it to treat stains.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Read the directions. For years I thought you were supposed to fill the cap - not realizing that you only need about half of it.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I purchased a big 275 load container on sale at Sears for $13. I figure I can get lot more that 275 loads out it. There detergent is also safe for HE washers plus I find it does a good job cleaning the clothes. I think they run this sale once or twice a year.

Dixie Jean

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have a front loader machine. I do not buy the HE detergent I use regular detergent and I only use about a Tablespoon of detergent. So a bottle of detergent last me a looooooonngg time.

I also dilute the fabric softener with 50% water and 50% fabric softener.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Using homemade soap saves me the most of anything I've ever tried. I do sometimes use a commercial soap just to sort of super clean for good measure. Don't know if it's necessary or not but I do it anyway.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of detergent after reading that detergent damages washing machines. That is useing 1 scoop or more. My cloths always are very clean. I buy my detergent at sams. Lasts for 3 to4 months

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
If I'm not using HM soap, I buy Purex, and water it down so I don't use as much. Works just as well.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I buy all when it is on sale with coupons and use it sparingly, less than a half a cup for every load of laundry.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I also buy Purex. I saved one empty Purex container and fill it half full with a new bottle and then fill both with water. I still only use 1/4 cup to each load of wash and my clothes always come out very clean. I buy Dawn at the dollar store to use on greasy stains.

·
Registered
586 Posts
What great tips. I have cut way down on the amount I use but I bet I could cut back even more.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
If you do your laundry in an apartment laundry room or a public laundromat, check the discard bins for "empty" containers of soap, bleach, used Bounce sheets, etc. -- basically anything that can be reused or that is tossed out. 9 times out of 10 those "empty" laundry soap containers have at least one or two washes left in them.

Rinse the container thoroughly before discarding it. In fact, if you can fit it into your washer, go ahead -- it'll get out all the soap, it will clean the container, and you won't have missed a drop!

I'm working on figuring out how to take two tops from the same size and type of laundry detergent bottle, punch a hole through the top of each one, and fuse them together, so that I can turn one upside down on the other and strain out all the last bit of laundry soap.

Use a piece of aluminum foil in the dryer instead of a bounce sheet -- works just as well for removing static and is reusable.

·
8,714 Posts
~I use 1-2 Tablespoons per load. I get about 90 loads per gallon. I buy my detergent for $2 a gallon or less when it's a loss leader. That means I spend $10 or less every year on detergent. Arm & Hammer and ALL are my favorites. Not only are our clothes clean and fresh smelling, but also we avoid sensitive skin issues(dd and I)by using so little.~

·
Registered
22 Posts
I always use 1/2 of what they say, and I buy the largest box of Tide with color safe bleach I can at Costco. It lasts me such a long time, I rarely buy it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What great tips. I will have to try the foil trick too.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
HOMEMADE

HOMEMADE IS THE WAY TO GO FOR ME, AND MINE....I MAKE MY OWN SOAP AND SOFTENER.....THE HUSBAND IS A HUNTER AND WORKS IN A FACTORY AND IT EVEN CLEANS HIS CLOTHES, SOMETIMES I DO ADD OXY CLEAN FOR MY WHITES.......:grnwave:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I love Tide, I won't use anything else. However, I've got to buy it on sale, with a coupon and I only use 1/2 the recommended amt. If it's on sale, stock up so you don't have to run out and buy some when you run out of it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
thanks for the foil tip! im going to have to give that one a trip.
DH loves his dryer sheets, and if foil works against static cling too.. well we have a winner.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts