Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually buy large containers of all of these (because the price per ounce was cheaper) and break them down into smaller containers. I store the large containers in my basement on shelves where I keep my stockpile. The vinegars hot sauce & oils get downsized via funnels into old clean soy sauce bottles that fit nicely in the cupboards in my kitchen. Some I leave the shaker top on, others I want more of a flow so remove it. Label well so I can grab the right one quickly.
Spices go into old clean spice bottles via a funnel that was cut from the top of a water bottle. The mouth of the bottle fits just right inside the smaller containers.
You have any tips for storing/using your large sized buys?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I try to buy only enough spices to last a year. I sometimes buy the large containers of cinnamon sticks. To use them up I will boil a couple sticks in water then simmer for about 20 minutes. You end up with cinnamon water that is great to make tea or coffee. I also like grinding up my own spices. Seems to really keep things fresher tasting. Any leftover ground up spice gets put in a small glass container and used up right away.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I usually put them in bags and label them if I get them in containers that are too large to fit in most storage bins. I will then store them in the basement where it's cool and dry to help keep them fresher.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I too, save all my old spice bottles........use them the same way as Darlene ...by refilling.

Having the extra bottles also allows me to share.......which helps get rid of the large amt. of spices.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i buy rice in 25 lb. bags and then i take 3 cups at a time and vacuum pack them then store the packs in a large tote and when they are full i stack another on top and start all over again i do salt in 1 cup packs too just vacuum pack and store-dried beans go the same way as for hot sauce i buy small bottles buy the case they get stored in the box they came in and i buy a large bottle to refill them when they get empty-oh yea i also pack pasta that way as the salt rice and beans

·
Registered
851 Posts
How could I miss this thread!
Thank you all these great ideas, I have thrown away large size condiments because the contents have gone 'weird', & I felt guilty for wasting, so I reversed to buy smaller size, which cost more per ounce.
I just did that w/ a new large bottle of hot sauce, poured some into the empty small bottle (same brand), store the large one in the fridge (in garage), the small one in the kitchen fridge for frequent use. This way, we wouldn't accidentally use the large one.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I have 1 gallon jars with home-dried herbs in them: oregano, parsley and peppermint, mostly. It takes about 2 years worth to fill the bottles. The peppermint and parsley I use about a year's worth in a year, so I usually have 1/2 a package the first pull from the garden is around June), the oregano I end up pitching about every 2 years and start over.

I empty the jars every year, wash and dry them. Then the newly dried herbs go on the bottom and the remainder on top.

Judi

·
Registered
256 Posts
How could I miss this thread!
Thank you all these great ideas, I have thrown away large size condiments because the contents have gone 'weird', & I felt guilty for wasting, so I reversed to buy smaller size, which cost more per ounce. I just did that w/ a new large bottle of hot sauce, poured some into the empty small bottle (same brand), store the large one in the fridge (in garage), the small one in the kitchen fridge for frequent use. This way, we wouldn't accidentally use the large one.
This is me too...I will now try some of these tips so I can buy larger quanitites of things I use regularily.

Reactions: Vanilla
1 - 8 of 8 Posts