Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I admit it. I collect "tip" books...I have about 30 or so. If you want a tip that isn't here, ask me, and I'll see if I can find something in the books I've got!

Judi

·
4,028 Posts
I'll take a kitchen tip for 100, please, Judi.

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take a kitchen tip for 100, please, Judi.
Okay, you're on...but I want the vegetable ones you said you used in your "frugal cooking" in the other question thread....

Let's see...Okay I grabbed 3 books at random: Living Cheap: the Survival Guide for the NIneties, The Moneymaking Money$aving Book, and Pheasants for Peasants.

Kitchen hints...
Kitchen hints...
Kitchen hints!

From Book one(pp37-39:"Food is one of those things you cannot buy used, but grocery shopping is another way you can make your local newspaper pay for itself." 1)clip coupons 2)organize coupons 3)decide where to shop (recommendation is to find a store between home and your workplace) 4)Shop ads 5)Go to alternative markets 6)Don't be brand loyal.
[You knew all that already, I know.]

From Book two (pp5-6): 1)boil water in closed pans 2)use steamer and/or pressure cooker if you have one for energy savings 3)make sure your gas burner is burning blue or get it adjusted 4)use flat bottomed pans 5)turn off electric range shortly before cooking is done 6)food cooks faster in pots w/lids 7)cook many dishes together in the oven at once when possible 8)don't preheat 9)don't open the oven door 10)don't overcook 11)use small oven when possible 12)use the range instead of the oven, if possible, it uses less energy 13)double recipes and freeze extra 14)thaw frozen foods before cooking 15)turn off oven a few minutes before cooking time ends 16)rearrange oven shelves before starting oven for most efficient use and less energy loss 17)minimize self-cleaning 18)don't put foil on the oven's bottom surface 19)use your microwave

From book three (pp xv-xvi ): 1)use a timer to take with you so you can leave something cooking and work elsewhere in the house 2)many dishes can be prepared & served in the same dish 3)make your own garlic salt with a mortar 4-5)if you're entertaiing, make an entree that can be prepared ahead of time and a dessert that can sit in the fridge while dinner is served.

:ack:Will that do?

Judi

·
Registered
831 Posts
Glad to know I am not the only one who likes those sort of books! I read them like a novel and then pass them on and of course I "forget" the tips :toothy:

I would love to know how to get the tea stains out of my dish towels?
Thank you

·
27,948 Posts
Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want a tip that isn't here, ask me, and I'll see if I can find something in the books I've got!
Hey Judi, I've got one. I've Googled "homemade cleaners" and gotten way too many different recipes. I'm just looking for a couple...one ammonia-based (for grease on appliances, not for glass) and one non-ammonia-based (general cleaning).

Got anything good? I'd appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've Googled "homemade cleaners" and gotten way too many different recipes. I'm just looking for a couple...one ammonia-based (for grease on appliances, not for glass) and one non-ammonia-based (general cleaning).
Here you go:

All-purpose Cleaning Paste (Reader's Digest Home Made Best Made pg 162)
1/2C pure soap flakes
1C chalk or diatomaceous earth
1/2C baking soda
3T glycerin

In a small bowl, crush soap into a power w/the back of a spoon or whirl in a blender. Thoroughly mix in chalk/earth & baking soda. Stir in enough glycerin to form thick paste. Spoon mix into wide mouthed jar or other covered container. (I'd keep this out of the reach of children too although it doesn't say that!)

All Purpose Cleaner (Better & Cheaper pg 244)
1C ammonia
1C washing soda
14C warm water.

Pour ammonia & soda into a clean gallon-size plastic jug. Add 2C warm water, close jug, shake to mix thoroughly. Add the rest of the water. Close, label, and keep out of the reach of children.

Judi

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Okay, I admit it. I collect "tip" books...I have about 30 or so. If you want a tip that isn't here, ask me, and I'll see if I can find something in the books I've got!

Judi
I have a tomato stain on a formica counter...........can't get it off. (a little smaller than a dollar bill.........a tomato went bad and 'mushed' on the counter!!)

Tried: hand soap.........goo gone..........dish soap........was going to try elec. dishwashing powder but that is soooo powerful was afraid I would take the finish off................HELP!!!

And.........when you solve THAT one.........I have two more...:laugh:

I can keep you busy for awhile........:laugh: has nothing to do with my 'little pig' ways!!! :thud:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have a tomato stain on a formica counter...........can't get it off. (a little smaller than a dollar bill.........a tomato went bad and 'mushed' on the counter!!)

Tried: hand soap.........goo gone..........dish soap........was going to try elec. dishwashing powder but that is soooo powerful was afraid I would take the finish off................HELP!!!

And.........when you solve THAT one.........I have two more...:laugh:

I can keep you busy for awhile........:laugh: has nothing to do with my 'little pig' ways!!! :thud:
Have you tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? Now my counters are formica too, and with stains that seem set, I usually use VERY wet, Comet or Ajax powder, or diluted bleach soaked in a cloth, that I cover the stain with it overnight. It's usually gone in the morning.

I'm not trying to take over. I bet she'll have the perfect solution. But I've BTDT with tomato stains, and just wanted to post what worked for me. :shrug2:

HTHs

Theresa :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd say try the cleaning paste above but the diatomatious earth WILL hurt the formica!

Try the other ideas first, if they don't work, let me know and I'll dig!

Judi

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the homemade cleaner recipes, Judi! I'll pick up supplies next time I'm out. :)

Thanks, Theresa...I have a blue stain (from the coffeemaker cleaner) on my tan formica and I didn't even think of trying the Mr. Clean eraser. :dunce: I'll try it with water and, if needed, ramp it up with Bar Keeper's Friend. We have to replace these countertops next year, anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Have you tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? Now my counters are formica too, and with stains that seem set, I usually use VERY wet, Comet or Ajax powder, or diluted bleach soaked in a cloth, that I cover the stain with it overnight. It's usually gone in the morning.

I'm not trying to take over. I bet she'll have the perfect solution. But I've BTDT with tomato stains, and just wanted to post what worked for me. :shrug2:
I'd say try the cleaning paste above but the diatomatious earth WILL hurt the formica!

Try the other ideas first, if they don't work, let me know and I'll dig!

Judi
Many thanks to both of you.....I didn't get back to this thread for awhile.

I have the eraser..........so will try that........it is STILL there.

I am also a great one for writing something on a baggie with a black marker.............then putting it 'wrong side down' on my counter before it is dry.........so I have one of those spots too. (they eventually wear off..........BTDT.......)

Will let you know what works..........thanks again.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I am also a great one for writing something on a baggie with a black marker.............then putting it 'wrong side down' on my counter before it is dry.........so I have one of those spots too. (they eventually wear off..........BTDT.......)

Will let you know what works..........thanks again.
Try rubbing alcohol on those permanent marker stains.
It's always worked for me

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I am here to report the magic eraser worked on everything........

took the tomato stain off the counter
took TWO spots of marker off the counter. WOOHOO!!

That got the kitchen 'almost' back in shape.........now moving on to the bathroom.............

I have a super glue spot that also has some tissue stuck in it....not a lot........but just enough to give it texture.........ANY HELP FOR THIS????

Has been there for AGES.....and that stuff isn't even wearing off..........it AIN'T BUDGING!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Here you go:

All Purpose Cleaner (Better & Cheaper pg 244)
1C ammonia
1C washing soda
14C warm water.

Pour ammonia & soda into a clean gallon-size plastic jug. Add 2C warm water, close jug, shake to mix thoroughly. Add the rest of the water. Close, label, and keep out of the reach of children.

Judi
Was going to write this down so I could make some but want to clarify something..........(can tell diff. parts of the country here)

what do you consider "washing soda"......what is it....?????

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what do you consider "washing soda"......what is it....?????
Washing soda is a product put out by arm & hammer, it's a laundry aid. Commonly it is part of the homemade laundry soap, or it always was when I made my own!

Look in the laundry soap aisle of your market, it's a powder in a box.

Judi

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Nail polish remover should take care of that super glue.
BTDT.......it didn't work......and this has now been there for a long time! It is also on formica so I was afraid to pour some on and let it sit there.

It is well hardened super glue........two small spots.... each about the size of a dime.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts