Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

I need help to quit smoking. I have had an on again off again love affair with this stinky, unhealthy habit for way too long. I have used the patch and got addicted to them. I have promised myself that I would go cold turkey a cuzillion times. I have used Chantix and repeatedly threw up and I have used that mild antidepressant which made me more depressed. Every time I go cold turkey, I overeat.

I could really use some helpful suggestions.

Thanks.

Frugalforever

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi Frugalforever,

I am in the same boat, so will be watching this thread. I did start taking Chantix again (my 2nd time) two days ago. The first time around, it made me very nauseous. I ended up having to cut them in half and take them several times throughout the day. That solved the sickness problem for me.

I find that it's just a constant battle throughout the day - every time I get the urge, I distract myself for 10 seconds until the urge is gone and do it all over again the next time.

I have found that telling myself "smoking is disgusting" or "smoking stinks" or "I am a non-smoker" every time I get an urge, helps.

Good luck and let me know what you find that works for you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chanitx makes me sick to my stomach Kitten. I can't take that crap anymore. I appreciate your helpful suggestions. I don't smoke in the car or at work and I only smoke in one room of my house. I keep thinking about all the cash I could save if I didn't smoke. Its 10 bucks a pack up here in Massachusetts. I don't drink or take illegal drugs and I wish I had never started smoking, because when I did start as a teenager, I figured like everyone else that I could just stop anytime. I feel like such a fool. It has had a very detrimental affect on my health.

Thanks again Kitten.

Frugalforever

Hi Frugalforever,

I am in the same boat, so will be watching this thread. I did start taking Chantix again (my 2nd time) two days ago. The first time around, it made me very nauseous. I ended up having to cut them in half and take them several times throughout the day. That solved the sickness problem for me.

I find that it's just a constant battle throughout the day - every time I get the urge, I distract myself for 10 seconds until the urge is gone and do it all over again the next time.

I have found that telling myself "smoking is disgusting" or "smoking stinks" or "I am a non-smoker" every time I get an urge, helps.

Good luck and let me know what you find that works for you.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx kitten read this! sound familiar?

Chanitx makes me sick to my stomach Kitten. I can't take that crap anymore. I appreciate your helpful suggestions. I don't smoke in the car or at work and I only smoke in one room of my house. I keep thinking about all the cash I could save if I didn't smoke. Its 10 bucks a pack up here in Massachusetts. I don't drink or take illegal drugs and I wish I had never started smoking, because when I did start as a teenager, I figured like everyone else that I could just stop anytime. I feel like such a fool. It has had a very detrimental affect on my health.

Thanks again Kitten.

Frugalforever

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am also suffering from major health issues (including asthma), so I think I have an idea how you feel and it's not good.

Maybe we could pick a quit date together and do something on the board to keep each other accountable? Perhaps others might join in. There may even be a thread already.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good luck & blessings! Its a tough habit to break,I was hospitalized for 3 weeks in 2010 & never started again.So I don't have any tips except moral support.
My hubby died of lung cancer and I still continued after he passed.They wouldn't let me take Chantrix due to a depression issue,I had horrible effects from the patches and gum and Zyban(wellbutrin) never did anything.
Good luck! Mostly a lurker/reader but I'm rooting for you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a great idea! A quit buddy! It's just what I need. Let me know when you want to set the date and we could stay on top of each other. That is the best idea I have found so far.

Thanks.

Frugalforever

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about your husband and also sorry that you are like me. We know that we both don't want this to kill us, but it takes a toll after smoking for decades.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am super worried about my bitchy attitude that comes from not smoking. As the nicotine leaves my system!
When I start to get nasty is usually when I end up caving & smoking, so I definitely know where you are coming from! Honestly I am not sure if I have ever quit long enough for the nicotine to leave my system (any idea how long it takes?). I have been smoking since I was 15-16 and am now 30.

The closest I've come is my flight to New Zealand from the US and I went 2-3 days without smoking after getting off of the 13 hr flight. Then I thought I could just do "a few" per day, but I was eventually back up to 1/2 to a pack per day. *sigh*

We definitely have our work cut out for us, but we can do it!

What kind of time frame were you thinking? Sometime next week? Sooner? (for a quit date) I think I will need at least a couple of days to mentally prepare myself.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I used Wellbutrin to quit. It worked amazingly well. But, I did get a new addiction for awhile. It was Big Red gum. lol The cinnamon in the gum helped take the bite out of the cravings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I quit way back in 1992 after smoking a pack a day for 13 years. I quit cold turkey....i also cried for 3 days. after that, just smelling an ashtray made me not want to smoke again. that was my third or fourth try in about 3 years.

You can do it. (my sister quite after smoking for 40 years cold turkey). It is difficult though...but think of how much better you'll feel, how much better food will taste and how much money you will save month to month!

I think a quit buddy would be great for both of you. YOU CAN BOTH DO IT!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
My husband works in the healthcare field with people who are trying to quit smoking. They primarily use phone counseling. He says he regularly talks to people who have used heroin and quit, have used meth and quit, have used crack cocaine and quit, but quitting cigarettes is so much harder.

This is the website for the company he works for. https://www.quitnow.net/Program

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
When I smoked I never realized how bad a smoker smells. I have a friend that smokes and it's all I can do to be in the same car as her. She reeks and doesn't realize it. I don't say anything to her but she knows not to smoke in my car or house.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
smokers smell terrible even after one cigarette. I have been on both sides of the fence. I have smoked and quit repeatedly. I think you should not travel in her car, because when you get out of her car, you will stink too.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I quit almost 2 years ago. I quit cold turkey on Jan 1st.....and I am ever so thankful I did.

This is what I did.

First, I put a picture of my son on a table in the living room. Every time I wanted a cigarette, I would look at that picture. I want to see my son graduate from university, I want to see him get married, I want to see my grandchildren be born (none on the way yet!) and I want to watch them grow up.

Second, I drank a lot of water or pop and I used a screw on cap type of bottle. I would un-screw, take a drink, screw it back on, un-screw, take a drink, screw it back on .... ALL DAY LONG. That was were I got into the habit of drinking LOTS of water each day....also very healthy for you!

Thirdly, I would walk. Want a cigarette, go for a walk. Most people gain weight when they quit smoking, I LOST 50 pounds.

I will NEVER go back.

GOOD LUCK TO THE TWO OF YOU...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I quit in November 1996! I was a pack a day smoker for a little over 12 years. The patches were my method of choice for quitting.
However, for me, I think my frame of mind that I was READY to quit was stronger than the help that the patches gave me. I didn't
even use them for the whole time period they were to be used.

Quitting is not an easy thing to do no matter what your method is. I do think, and this is my own personal thought, one has to BE
READY to quit. Not just know that it is the thing to do and for all the reasons we are told.
The mind is a powerful tool.

Best wishes to you both as you embark on this journey!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts