Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks for the link Judi. We have a septic system and never thought about not using antibacterial soaps. I knew about the bleach but not the soap. Thanks!

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Thanks for posting. I learned my lesson about rice and the kitchen disposal last year. :laugh:

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks Judi..........I am guilty of number seven......I flush spoiled food down the toilet...........on the sewer now and would NEVER have done that when on my septic.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
For anyone on a septic to keep it healthy put a packet of yeast down the toilet once per month! It adds back all the good bacteria that you need to keep a septic happy and running smooth...lol. Laundry soap, bleach, vinegar, printed toilet paper, all these things can cause a sad septic system! So make your tank happy and give it some bacteria...lol(I am a plumbers daughter so have lived this for ever!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
and ya'll know the "Plumbers secret" too right? squirt dishsoap around the edge of the toilet bowl if you're having problems flushing-- kinda "greases" the water and makes it slipperier -- its worked for me before

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Quick question about the vinegar and baking soda for clearing slow drains. What's the ratio of vinegar to baking soda that I should be using? Also, how long should I let the 'mixture' sit? I picked up some baking soda last night (already had the vinegar). I tried the vinegar/bs trick but I don't think I let it sit long enough. (Only about 20 or so minutes.) Should I let it sit over night?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks. I did put the baking soda in first and it bubbled but I'll try the 1:1 ratio. I might not put enough in as well. Sigh. I think I'll have to try another place to find more baking soda. The store I went to last night only had the fridge packs. But it worked on the counters well enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts