Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the past, DH and I have fallen in line and bought my MIL a gift card or some other generic gift for Mother's Day.

This year, we thought we'd do something different, and we thought, special.

I spent Saturday afternoon baking her a basket full of muffins from scratch. I made blueberry muffins, mini cornbread loaves, and individual coffee cakes. Then I packed them all up in a pretty fabric lined basket:

It was a gift that I would be thrilled to receive, but her reception was lukewarm at best. All she could muster was a comment about how FIL would enjoy the muffins.

It's been 2 days and I'm still burned up about this. I literally baked all afternoon, from scratch, and she'd rather have a giftcard or some more crap to add to the 2 storage units and basement full that she already has. I know I need to let it go, but my feelings are beyond hurt.

I just do not understand people.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I would have loved it also!! I think it was very rude of her not to just accept the gift, thank you for it, and not bring it up again. Hugs.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Gifts from the heart are the best. I'm so sorry your feelings are hurt. Most of the gifts I give are handmade so I have been in your same situation. Dh's family would just look at the gift and toss aside w/out even a thank you (at Christmas time). I finally stopped attending and working so hard to make 15-20 individual gifts. On the flip side, the gifts they gave me were usually something in the (obviously) wrong size.

This year dh and I made upside down tomato planters for both of our mothers. The cost was around $5 ea. including 3 plants ea. But they both were pleased that we put an efffort into their gifts.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Next time it's time to send a gift to your MIL, you send ME her basket :toothy: It's a lovely, thoughtful gift that would be well appreciated over here.

(((HUGS)))

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
how could someone no appreciate home baked bread!? what a wonderful, thoughtful thing to do.

Reactions: The Muse

·
19,119 Posts
Am so sorry that your MIL didn't appreciate your thoughfulness, work and generosity. Your basket is beautiful and yummy looking!!

I think that most of us crafters have had our gifts of love and creativity underappreciated by others (why is it so often an in-law?). It happens to me all the time with mine. No longer bothers me.

If I want to make anyone a gift, I do so because it is important to me. No way can I affect their response, but I am in charge on my reaction to them.

I usually share my talents and energies with those who enjoy getting special gifts. For others, I'll buy gift cards or some store gift.

Am glad that you took a picture of your gift basket - perhaps it'll be a good reminder for next time.

Take care....... and as it has been said - I would have been thrilled to receive your gift basket!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow. My MIL would not be getting any more gifts after acting like that!!

Over the years, we have seriously toned down gift giving in our families. It was just getting out of hand. My sister and I agreed a few years ago to just stop exchanging gifts at Christmas time and birthdays, but my Mom still wanted gifts--so we give her small gifts for birthday and Christmas.

I had everyone over for a mother's day bbq, but didn't do gifts this year, and I plan on continuing that trend! We'll see how it works...

Reactions: The Muse and ahmom

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It's a lovely gift and it's hurtful that she didn't care for it. Unfortunatly those types of gifts aren't everyone's cup of tea. I'm fortunate that our moms have reached the stage and age that they don't want anything else in the house. So I got flowers for my mom's front porch pots and some asparagus from the farmer's market and dh picked his mom a beautiful bouquet of peonies from bushes we started from her 60 year old plants.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'm sorry. That was rude, and I would have loved a homemade gift. In fact, my kids gave me tissue paper flowers and "love" coupons, and I always love their homemade gifts best. And that goes from everyone.

I am always so touched to think that someone actually took time out of their busy day to make something just for me.

If I were in your shoes, I would be giving a card next year.

:hugz:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Its hard to please some people. Many are just rude about gifts that aren't exactly what they expected. What happened to appreciating the thought & effort that goes into a gift? Honestly, there seems to be a lot of expectations tied to gift giving & it really bothers me. Some you just can't please & other only see the cost related to a gift. I think we all "have to" buy for those people. So, I just spend less time on their gifts since I can't please them anyway. I think a homebaked goodies basket would make a wonderful gift. I'd be very disappointed if it wasn't well recieved!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Those looked good. My mother-in-law gets a card. In the past she would have snubbed a gift like that. (anyone who goes out and buys their own gifts so they'll like them would.) She was always furious because her parents liked our gifts better than hers because I took the time to put together something thoughful. Some people are their own worst enemies.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You just can't please some people. But all of us here know what it took for that beautiful basket; time (planning, baking, packaging it). Isn't suppose to be the thought that counts??

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I would have been delighted to receive such a wonderful gift.(Following your blog, I see that everything you create is top notch!)Maybe she doesn't like such unique, original and exclusive gifts. Her loss.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would have loved your gift! My Mother demanded a $200 bracelet that I can't afford. I ended up giving her the gc I got for my bday from my inlaws, so she wouldn't throw a fit at me. It makes me sad.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have gone through this same thing many times with different people. I would bring homemade food over to a friend of mine and she would take a bite and then say she was saving the rest for her husband. I would tell her I made it for her not her husband and it didn't phase her in the least.I know I'm a good cook so it wasn't like it tasted bad or anything.the last time I made her a mini chocolate banana bread and she proceeded to tell me she gave it to her husband to share with his coworkers.
that was the last time I ever gave her anything. I could not believe her nerve to even do that and then tell me she did it.
people today are idiots. my husband tells me just to give and not think about anything else but it really is impossible. people are rude and obnoxious today. I thought your gift was perfect I also would have loved it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I saw your blog post with the picture of the gift and I thought it was such a lovely gift--I'm sorry your MIL didn't like it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts