Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am seriously thinking of getting a tivo. i've never seen/been around one, but have heard that it is really nice. just wondering if anyone has anything specific to say about it.
i understand you can record shows. i have hbo/starz ondemand so i understand how nice it is to be able to pause movies or watch when you feel like it.... but it seems nothing is ever on when i'm watching.and the premium channels are so repetitive--i want to get rid of them.
i've also heard about something called season pass that lets you automatically record all shows in a season (is this right?) and how many shows can you do that with? i like watching marathons, so this could be my kind of thing.
i have suddenlink cable (keeping it only because of the cable internet) and don't feel i'm getting my money's worth.
anything you can tell me about your experience with tivo would greatly appreciated!!!!

· Registered
1,163 Posts
Well, I do not have TiVo, but we do rent a DVR through our cable company. I can't say anything about TiVo's service, but I can tell you that I love having the DVR. I don't even want to watch shows that I have not previously recorded b/c I hate commercials!

Our DVR allows you to record up to three things at a time (simultaneously) and it has a ton of space. So, for example, Biggest Loser and House will both be on at the same time tonight and I have them both set to record, so I won't miss anything. I will most likely watch both after they have aired so I can fast forward through commercials.

I work nights and when I am at home during the day, there isn't usually a lot on that I like to watch, but I always have stuff that I have recorded to watch whenever I get the urge.

My DVR has several options. I can record every episode of a show or just one episode. It also gives several options for time (only in this time slot, every time the show airs, etc.)

Also being able to pause live TV is great. If I have to get up to do something while a good show is on, I don't have to worry about missing it. I can either pause or just start recording it.

Anyway, for our family it is worth the money.

· Registered
1,163 Posts
I just wanted to add that it seems to make having cable a lot more worth it imo. I never used to even watch TV before, but now that I can watch it at my convienance (instead of being a "slave" to the TV -- which I wasn't... I just missed everything and basically paid my cable company for nothing). We only pay $15/mo extra for the DVR and I think $6 for the service. Not too bad.

· Registered
80 Posts
We have our t.v. hooked up to our computer and are able to record programs on it thru a program that came with the computer. It's cool!

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what program is that? sounds interesting rompers.

thanks for the input kitten. im really leaning towards going ahead with it.

· Registered
12,856 Posts
I have a TiVo and I love it. The TiVo is just a recorder so you would still have to keep your cable to record programs that you like watching. The amount of programs it will record depends on how big the hard drive is in your unit and what quality you record at. It is like the old VCR tapes in that aspect, you can record at a higher quality and it will take up more disc space or a lower quality and use less space. I use the season pass for my favorite shows, it lets you set it to record the entire season and you set your preferences for first run only or you can include repeats, and you tell it how many episodes to keep before automatically deleting to save space or you can set it to keep until you delete them yourself. I have mine set to tape one of the soaps that I watch and it only keeps a weeks worth at a time. It completely changed the way I watch television. I work nights so I never got to see the prime time shows but now I see all the ones that like.

Be sure and search around the net for your system though, you can find great deals that will let you get your system for free and pay a reduced rate for a year. Try to get at least an 80 hour receiver if you can, you will like it more than the 40 hour :) . If I can find some good deals I will post them here for you.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

· Registered
1,973 Posts
I got my tivo free as an upgrade with my direct tv. I love it. It really saves me time and believe it or not money. I now more apt to find the movies the kids like, tivo them and retape so they can watch them.. just very convient. Also I am always running around, until all the mommy-wife things are done. Now my favs are ready when I am..

Hey where are you in WV.. My family is in Charleston.?

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks kathy :D i would appreciate the help.
i've been surfing the net this morning-- i saw the deal @buy.com where you could get a unit w/a rebate and earn $31 (but i would rather have the TCD64980 box) and besides, a rebate that big worries me if i didn't get it.
i can get 500 pts if i go thru mypoints.tivo has it for $99 and reduced prices on the monthly plans.
ive heard tivo has specials around thankgiving where you can get a box for free....wonder if it would be worth it to wait.......

louise im in point pleasant. i have suddenlink cable (only keeping it because of the cable internet--no other choices cablewise--don't want to get satellite)

· Registered
1,454 Posts
i love tivo.

we have a dvr that we have to use in the living room because of direct tv's hd something something... i dont really understand, dh knows much more about that i do. but! i have the original tivo in my bedroom and bahrup bahrup bahrup. thats the sound i make when i want dh to fast forward thru commercials.

tivo people.. you know what im talking about.

· Registered
2,149 Posts
We have a DVR, just like tivo, and I really like it. record a few things, my DD records all kinds of stuff. It can hold 100 hours of programming, which can either be protected from being recorded over, or not. I also like the pause live TV feature, which just basically records the program you are watching. It's worth the extra $5 a month.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you so much katybird!!! i just ordered my tivo thru the link you provided. i searched all day yesterday and could not find any better....actually i couldn't get that site to come up in my searches haha. so very well done! you saved me some bucks!!!
im so excited to get this...i've thought about the comments everyone else made and think this is going to improve my tv watching experience a lot and make me feel better about what i pay for it. and the premium channels (hbo and starz) are getting the boot at the end of the month.
again thanks to all who posted----i'll let you know how the tivo experiment is going (i paid up front for the year commitment)

· Registered
80 Posts
Joline, we use Windows Media Center which came with the computer.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wish I woulda got a tivo years ago!

just an update on my tivo experience ---

I HEART TIVO!!!:gwitch: I 've watched more scary movies this year than any year due to being able to easily record the shows I want to watch. It's so easy to set -- don't even need to worry about times and dates....just find the show and click that I want to record it. I set up season passes for The Next Iron Chef and Jon&Kate Makes 8. My wishlist has movie/HORROR on it :surprise:
I bought the wireless adapter from Amazon because it was cheaper than on the site. Everything has been very easy to set up.
I have Windows Media Center and downloaded one movie....but couldn't get it to burn to a dvd (this could be the dvd not being so great--not sure yet) I'm sure I'll figure it out though.
But I just love it and am so glad I took the plunge. I'm sure I will gladly pay again when my year's prepaid service is up. Thank you for everyone's input and esp thank you to kaybird for the link. My machine was free. You saved me at least $99 --- much appreciation!!!
I even wrote a blog entry with pics I'm so happy with it.

· Registered
229 Posts
we have saved so much money since we got our TiVo... we live far enough from town that renting movies didn't make sense to me... the drive back to the video store and if I couldn't get to it... the late fee... We were buying DVD's a couple times a month... since we got our TiVo... we find so many good shows to record when we're not home or at night while we're asleep.... then we watch them on family night.... Since I got a DVD recorder last year for Christmas (to convert our family videos to DVD)...I record the movie's to DVD and we can watch them anytime... a great investment
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
avatar graphic courtesy of "graphics by Irene"
proud wife to George :usasmile: recently retired Army National Guardsman
Mom to Derek (22), Drew (28) & Cady (16)
:grwave:
stepmom to Curtis (24), Ashlee (22) & Lindsey (20)
gramma to Alex :)angel2:angel baby 2006) & {soon to be} AJ :)tedblue:due Nov 10)
furmom to Mabel Sue :paw:, Missy May :paw:, Sammi :kitty: & multiple outside kitties:cat:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~need :smhelp: knocking out our debts... one :cents: at a time~

Total Debt:
(now) 99,309.70 / (was) 131,598.73
House: 59,888.02 / 75,500.00
04 Ranger: 10,860.52 / 21,793.50
07 Focus: 20,947.56 / 20,947.56
95 Aspire: 3,748.32 / 3,748.32
Cub Cadet: 1,005.93 / 4,200.00
WaMu CC: 1,991.43 / 1,991.43
SSI: 300.00 / 2,700.00
Vet: 567.92 / 717.92
:bolt:
how did we let it get this far???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:dollar: Emergency Fund - 3,534.34/ 5,000
:jar: silver jar - 7.20
:cents: penny jar - 1.25
:pumpkin: Fall Fling - 0/1000 things flung (by 30 Nov)
:scale: weight loss : 0/#67 lost (start 25 Oct 07)
:hungry: Oct. eat at home days - ?/31
:carrot: Oct. grocery challenge - ?/500

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.