Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....that is the question! This should be simple, but here's my problem. In my Family room, I have 3 walls of tongue and groove knotty cedar plank wood, and the other wall is covered in "aged" red brick. And even though I thought I would love them together at the time, the knotty cedar has always seemed to look too "busy" with the bricks because, well, it's very knotty....lol!

Now I have brought up the idea about painting the wood quite a few times in the last few years, but my hubby was adamantly turning me down because he LOVES the wood, and besides being expensive (16X20 room), he installed it, plank by plank, lots of work.

So there I was watching HGTV, and they painted what looked like my cedar with great looking results. So again I propose painting to my hubby once more, only this time he says okay, and what color? HUH???? Needless to say, I'm shocked at his reply, but even more shocked to all of a sudden feeling scared about the whole idea. :nerv2: LOL! The room on the show looked so good, but ya know, once it's painted there's no going back!! :nerv2::nerv2::nerv2:

So my question is ....would you paint it, and if you would, what color would you use? Do you think it would have to be in the beige/brown family? And do you think a color like a muted green be garish? I think a few opinions will help me make a decision.

So please tell me...... whaddya think?

Theresa :nails:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I have painted knotty wood walls before. They turned out great. I really loved them although people were shocked I painted wood! :laugh: I would not suggest going to a beige or brown, especially with the red brick. A muted green would be nice or an off white. Those are just my suggestions though. :D

Reactions: mamamia

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My parents have painted (red) knotty wood walls in the guest room. It looks fantastic. They did it themselves and the trick was they used brushes instead of rollers, and used slightly watered down paint, so it retained the "rustic" look of the knotty wood (which fit the room: the ceiling is white with big black beams!) but offered a beautiful color contrast to the ceiling and the dark (stained black) wood floors. I always called it the Sleeping Beauty room when I was a kid (white, black, red).

The red they have is actually a sort of dark crimson. But since you have to pair it with brick, I would think something maybe olivey, to stay in the same "earth-tone" family without competing with the brick. Ochre might work out really nicely too - I love the combination of ochre and terra cotta.

Do you have anything in the room (carpeting, rugs, furniture) or even art for the walls that might play into your decision? Does the room get a lot of light? My parents' guest room gets unbelievable light so they were able to go with a darker wall color - if you have limited light, keep the walls light too.

I'll see if I can find a photo of the room so you can see what I'm talking about!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
oops thought I didn't have one but I found two! The knots are hard to see in the photos but they're there - painting evened out the color a lot.

·
4,028 Posts
Can you put a layer or 2 of sealant on the wood first? That way if anyone ever wanted to take the time to strip it, the pigments wouldn't have seeped into the wood.

And have you considered staining the wood darker so the knots are not as obvious? You can still paint it if it doesn't look good.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I would paint it in a heartbeat because I can't stand knotty pine. A nice light color would really brighten up your room. Be sure to use a good primer coat first, as the resins in pine can seep through paint over the years.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I'd have to see the room but i might paint the brick side first. Our fireplace was varigated brick so the former owner painted it white. i hated it so I painted the fireplace that moss green color that was so popular. Then i painted the walls behind 2 shades lighter (jst added white to the same paint). We have lighter oak floors in there. I thought of tongue and groove pine panel on the opposite of the window side. Just haven't gotten to it yet.
Anyway-just a thought.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be back later to answer some of you. But WOW! I am totally convinced now to give it a "GO". Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

TTYL!
Theresa

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love Ann's sage green color!

I have a friend with paneling on her ceiling and she white washed it and the beams, it came out beautiful.

Good luck! Show us pics when you are done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts