Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess it has been a long time since I took my kids bowling. I brought my 7-year-old yesterday and for one string($9.15) and shoe rentals ($7.50) for both of us it was almost 17.00. I couldnt believe it, 17.00 for a half hour of bowling. It was fun but I was not going to go another string for another $9.15. I remember going with my older kids and never feeling like it was to expensive. Good thing they didn't want to come with us, it would have been about 50.00 for 5 of us to bowl. I think we could have played longer in the arcade for that price. Next time I think I will call around to find out if there is a place that is cheeper. I didn't want to disappoint her (or me either) as we were all excited to bowl. Today we are going roller skating and we have our own skates and it is 5.00 for a three hour session. Much more cost effective and more exercise.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
We go to what they call Midnight bowling.
You bowl from 11:30 pm until 2 am for 13.00 apiece ( shoes included )
You bowl as many games as you can.
Right now on banquet pot pies they have a coupon for a free game and our bowling ally takes them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yikes, that is expensive! It's not nearly so much to bowl where I am. Good thinking with the roller skates.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yikes! That's an expensive half hour! I agree- good thinking on roller skating:tay:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
wow that is alot!! in my town, on sundays they have a all you can bowl 3 hour session for $4.00 a person (including shoes). we took the kids skating last night (we go every friday night from 7:30-11), and it costs us $6.00 a person (i don't skate because i have to help my little one & all my foster kids). we have a blast, all the foster kids just run around & dance. entertainment has become very expensive for families to enjoy, and that saddens me!!!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I go bowling on average of once every two years, each time we go we comment on how expensive it was for how long we were there. I think the last time it cost at least as much as going to a movie at the mall. ($17-$18 total for the two of us)

·
8,714 Posts
~You're not too poor to go bowling, you're Too SMART to pay such ridiculous prices! FYI, it's really easy to set up a bowling alley in your home. Hallways work fine. You can buy a cheapo set of pins or use some old water bottles for pins. My brother and I loved to bowl inside.~

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
The only time Ive gone is when its Cosmic bowling up here in Canada. They turn on the ultra violet lights and good old shiny disco ball and play top 40's/dance music etc for the 3 or so hours that it goes on. I know the shoes are one fee plus you pay per game, by the hour or per person. I remember a flat fee for 3-4 hours once too.

I know Sunday am's they have 'family' bowling time for a huge mega discount b/c I used to joke that we should stay through the night (had many a great date there b/c its not busy at 3am! LOL) and wait for the AM Family bowl.

Also didnt hurt to know the owner/manager....plus he conned me into joining a league during the week so when I went on wknds - I got huge mega discounts. In the end I guess it does work out.

Maybe call around and see what other alleys offer? And then call yours back and see what else they offer .... perhaps you went at peak time so they charged way more?

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I take the kids about twice a month It is counted as a PE class for homeschooling. We have two alleys in our city and both have "Eat and Bowl" specials everyday. It is usually $7 per person for three games, shoes, and lunch. Lunch is a drink, fries, and choice of burger, hot dog, grilled cheese or chicken sandwich. They also were in the homeschool bowling league which is $7 per person each week and includes three games. shoes and end of season party and trophy. One of the alleys here also has a weekday special where it is a dollar a game, dollar for shoes, dollar for soda, fries, burger etc...

We don't go skating except on homeschool bowling days because the rink is on a side of town that is going downhill and I will not go there after dark. Homeschool skating is $3 per person for 3 hours or $6 if you want all you can eat pizza lunch with it. It also counts as a PE class credit.

You may want to see if your rink ever offers a coupon for unlimited bowling for two hours. Ours sends out a coupon for unlimited bowling for up to six people for 2 hours for $19.99 and it comes with two pitchers of soda and shoes.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
(Neeley - I love your pic of Mark Martin- go points leader!)

We went about a month ago. I thought it would be cheap fun too but it set us back $100+ when you added up the shoes, food and lane fees for the four of us). I had no idea they had specials or downloadable coupons. I definately have to get those before we go again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts