Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a wedding ring quilt at a junk shop. The quilt is in great shape except for the very edge. the binding is good on the top and the bottom however the very edge of it along the quilt is completely gone.

I am debating on whether or not I should have it repaired or leave it the way it is.

Just need pros and cons here about having it repaired.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Jmho---you know how much work such a labor of love is. I would save it if I could. I know it would be some work or expense for you but still, somebody worked really, really hard on it. It has a story and now you're part of that ;)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I myself would try to match the material it was bound with and try to repair it. Alot of old quilts wear in that way.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
So what you are saying is the it needs new binding?

You make quilts dont you? I say save it if you can.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I vote for saving it, I agree that your now a part of that quilt and it's legacy and quilts are sooo beautiful :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gonna fix it and save it. Will have a tough time finding the binding the faded color of red that is in the quilt.

Was wondering if there is a way to sort of bleach red binding without turning it pink. Maybe dip in light bleach water and then let it dry and do it again until I get the faded color in the quilt itself. or is there something else that I could use that I have not thought of.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You could lightly bleach new red fabric, sun it and even give a tea bath to age it if the rest of the quilt color warrants. A wedding ring quilt is a romantic one. I'd save it too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an antique double wedding ring top from my husbands great grandma made from feed cloth. Its just the top. Not batted nor backing or quilted. I sure in its state now, its worth $$$. Not sure what I want to do with it as its beyond my expertise. Where could I take such a project to and what would it cost to do so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts